SIG Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I will post it here because I think this is the most "related" area I can think to post it in, as it isn't really off-topic as it pertains to firearms/CCW somewhat.

Anywho, so my lady and I were sitting in our bedroom in our apartment when all of a sudden we here a gunshot. Seconds later two more and then the sound of the front door to our building slamming shut and people driving off. Turns out, one of our neighbors broke up with her now ex boyfriend, and his new girlfriend went crazy and was calling her, threatening her and things of that nature, and apparently hired someone to do the dirty work for her. Thankfully, she wasnt home, as one of the shots was to shoot out her lock and the other two were through her door when they realized the AR they had wasn't enough firepower to get the lock to unbolt. They fled in a car and weren't even around by time I got to my apartment door with my own firearm to see what the situation was, but it seems this was a gang-related incident, so it's pretty much just a matter of time before they come back, with either more firepower or more people, looking for her again...

Really made me realize how unprepared I was for a situation like this to happen. I had somewhat of an "action plan" worked out with my lady, but when **** for real, things went right out the window, and fast. So i guess what my question is/reason for posting this is, how many of you have a preparedness plan, and how do you practice it to be sure in a high-stress situation like what arose tonight, you don't forget everything and keep a level head while still reacting fast enough to keep yourself and your family safe? :wacko: One thing is for certain; after tonight, we are looking for a new place to live! LOL

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
by time I got to my apartment door with my own firearm to see what the situation was
If you stepped out to assess the situation probably not a good idea. Best to get into a defensible position with a secondary means of egress and stay there until LE arrives if possible. That's the primary plan in my house.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Stay put and wait for trouble to come to you. You're in familiar turf, they are not. Pick a defensible location phone 911 and wait it out. We are not the law and have no legal rights unless it comes to our own life, even then...

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
We are not the law and have no legal rights unless it comes to our own life, even then...
Depends on what state you're in. Here in NC you can be a good samaritan. Same rules apply to defending yourself with deadly force. Rape, threat of imminent serious bodily harm or death. That does however require knowing exactly what the circumstances are and who the BGs are, and that's not always easy to know.

Reactions: halodub

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I didnt step out until I heard my neighbor across the hall open his door and step out to see what was going on. We have solid concrete walls so between that and the couch, I felt I had a decent amount of cover and concealment. Made sure to check through the peephole too and check corners after opening the door before actually stepping out. My lady and I stayed put in the bedroom until after the shots stopped, but even still I felt rather underprepared, but thankful nobody came storming through our door. I had my girlfriend on the phone with 911 immediately after the first shot and she was positioned in the bathroom inside our bathroom with the puppies, which is essentially a concrete vault based on its location.

Funny thing is, we are actually in a pretty decent area. I live right across the street from a large airport off of a busy road, right on the border of three upper-middle class cities. This definitely isnt going to stop us from moving, however (lol). Just really changed my whole perspective on the whole "it can happen anywhere, anytime" thought. We have good samaritan laws here as well, but I wouldn't be acting unless I saw them physically aiming at someone after they had fired their initial shots, as the laws can be so criminal-sided in pretty much any city/state that has these laws.

LE response time was not the most rapid either (15 minute arrival time after the call), which is why I decided to step out and assess the situation after I heard my neighbor leave his apartment and start talking to another neighbor in the hallway. Last thing I need is to watch him get shot in the back of the head through the peephole, knowing I could have done something, even if it meant putting myself at risk...

Thanks for all the input everyone; gives me a bit of sanity knowing that I had a similar thought process of sitting and waiting under cover versus trying to jump up and be Rambo. Hopefully there won't be a "next time" for something like this, but at least if the situation does arise, I will be more prepared.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
We are not the law and have no legal rights unless it comes to our own life, even then...
Actually, although each state's laws do differ in terms of how far you can go to protect your property and when you're in danger, we are the law, and we have every right to defend our lives, families and property. The LEOs are the ones who are supposed to come only if/when called, or be prepared to respond if they witness something in progress. Something that a lot of people don't get is that the people are the ones who make the law and are obligated to enforce it when it comes to their own life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Some states have gone too far in limiting or restricting the means by which the law abiding citizen is allowed to defend themselves, but that is why we have the right to vote with our feet and move to a state that better serves to protect the individual's right to defense. Initially law enforcement only got involved IF the private parties could not settle the matter btwn themselves, and sometimes that actually meant bloodshed. Then those, who are considered to be progressives today, began to use the government to make laws that favored their interests, which has evolved into what he have today; the mindset that we have no rights and must wait on the law to arrive.

Poppycock! ;)

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
My plan is similar to what has been mentioned in terms of barricading in a safe place, calling 911 and being prepared to defend my home. All my kids are upstairs, and any intruder will have to get past my room to get up there, but my kids are also legally armed and trained as well. Your best plan to survive is to be able to ambush the intruder, but there may be some times an intruder is able to get in undetected and catch you sleeping. What do you do then?

Reactions: halodub

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
even with concrete walls someone could still spray rounds through the door and cover a large area of your apartment so be very careful and stay down if that should happen again ..

Stay in place and call 911 .. try to get make and model of car if you were to hear the front doors slam and a car move away .. to do that use your camera on your phone .. police could enlarge the pic to get a plate number ..

stay safe .. look for a new place .. talk to land lord about locking the main door somehow ..

·
Registered
327 Posts
Posted on another thread related to this. I don't live in an apartment, though I have before, and I think the folks telling you to find a defensible position in your abode and call 911 is the best advice. Unless you've seen the situation from the outset, you are flying blind to try and figure out who the good and bad persons are with all that happening. You should be glad the police didn't show up while you were carrying your weapon around. 100% bad outcome for you even though you were trying to help.

I've said it before, someone can be outside in my detached garage, in my truck in the driveway, or in my shed. I'll call the police and try to maybe get a description but I'm not hunting derelicts around my property unless they break the threshold of my home. We had a road rage fight between four men in two cars right on the road adjacent to my property that went on for 5 minutes or so and we and other neighbors called the law who got there quickly and arrested them and towed their cars. All had been drinking. We were talking with our neighbors and two cops taking statements while the cars were towed and one of our neighbors whose a young solid guy who can probably handle himself said he was going to go outside and try and break up the fight but his wife stopped him. The cop looked up very straight faced and said "thank your wife then because we would have run you in too". She pushed him and said SEE! Part of the responsibility of CC is knowing that you aren't the police and self defense is just that. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I've never lived around developed areas. so up close neighbors was not in the cards . Always had some acreage around me but at 13 my parents were out for evening . Dinner and dance thang . This is going back many years now . I was in my bedroom watching the TV , no lights on . Went to the kitchen to get something to drink and heard the back door knob rattle like some moving it from stop to stop .

I ran back to dads closet and grabbed his 12 ga pump , racked in a round and eased out the front door and around back to catch a BG trying to get in . I leveled the shotgun on the BG and yelled On The Ground in my best deep kids voice and he ran . I fired a shot in the air to help him on his way and watched him run flat out into our dog run 4 foot high chain link fence , he flipped over it , landed hard got up and ran in to the other side of the fence , flipped again and wobbled off . I'm sure the way he was running a tree or cypress knee would have taken him out . I went inside and called the sheriffs department , pre - 911 back then . It took the law 30 minutes for a LE to get there . BG was never found . I had no description other than it sounded like a man and was around 6 feet tall .

Preparedness Plans or disaster plans are what you make of them at the moment most times . You can think your ready for anything . You can write it all down and practice , practice , practice but what you do if you ever have to step up will be more instinct and reaction than anything else .

Personal safety for those around you is always first so with a family in a multi units structure maybe holding your ground in next to a bed might be a wiser choice than going looking for the BG . Good way for a wigged out neighbor to shoot you thinking your the BG with gun in hand .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts