SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the pre tensoned barrel is in the sig p320 x five? They say it helps with accuracy but is it just a marketing gimmick or is there actually something to it?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Pretensioning steel makes it stiffer to keep it from flexing under load. It has practical applications and can be of benefit in the accuracy of a rifle barrel, but not-so-much in a pistol barrel.

I say it's more of a marketing gimmick.

·
Registered
217 Posts
A "tensioned barrel" is using a thinner steel barrel supported on each end by rings and a light weight sleeve usually. Popular on Ruger Lite pistols, 10/22, and other barrels.

I have no idea what "Pre-tensioned" means. Maybe it's in the barrel lug, like a fixed barrel until it unlocks or something to that effect.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
My take away from their term "pre tensioned barrel" was more about the barrel being fit better than a stock "drop in" barrel. Tighter barrel lock up will delay the unlock time, keep the barrel in battery longer, and help with improving the said accuracy of said pistol.

That's my take away for what its worth.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Only really heard or this on rifle or a few revolvers...not sure what use it would be on a non fixed barrel that is not a bit longer. I would say gimmick or possibly a mistake for some other better fitting of barrel to frame/slide

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.