SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been discussed before. I have a .22 (ruger mkIII) with an optic but no iron sights. I have never had a gun with an optic and regular sights to co-witness. How do the iron sights not get in the way or distract you from focusing on the red dot? if the gun is truly zeroed, wouldn't the red dot be right on top of the dot on the front sight? is it a matter of training your eyes to focus on the target and dot rather than the front sight? I just can't picture in my how this would work. I want to buy an RX setup so bad, but don't want to invest $800 and not like it. i guess i should try and shoot one first but any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Premium Member
18,520 Posts
With a properly zeroed red dot, POA/POI is on regardless the location of the dot in the screen. Most handguns are lower 1/3 cowitnessed (or lower), hence the iron sights have minimal interference of the viewing screen of the red dot. This might help to better understand:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that makes sense with the lower 1/3 setup. but then doesn't that cause two different sight pictures? if the red dot is on target and the fixed sights are below. i guess if i think about it with that setup correctly, the iron sights would be a 6 0 clock hold and the red dot would be point of aim (regardless of where the dot is in the window depending on how you view it through the optic)

or am i more confused now...LOL

·
Premium Member
18,520 Posts
that makes sense with the lower 1/3 setup. but then doesn't that cause two different sight pictures? if the red dot is on target and the fixed sights are below.
If the red dot and irons are both properly zeroed, when both are on target, they will be in agreement, or co-witnessed, with one another. If the red dot is on target (again, assuming both are properly zeroed) and the irons are below, the irons will not be on target. In the picture below, you can see in the top image, the red dot is above the irons and the irons are not centered on one another. In the lower image, the red dot and irons are aiming at the same point, or co-witnessed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh it get it!!!!! ( i think)

absolute would be when the iron sights are right in the middle of the red dot's window. lower 1/3 is when the iron sights are at the bottom (lower) of the red dot's window.

so in a lower 1/3 setup, yes the would still all line up if both properly sighted in, but you could tilt your head/gun and have the dot above the iron's as the dot is going to hit where you have it pointed on the target regardlesss of where you see it in the window.

close? haha

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so basically you are tilting the gun slightly back to get the dot above the irons and lowering the gun down to get the dot back on target to compensate...

·
Premium Member
18,520 Posts
I think you are starting to over-complicate things now. You state you have a Ruger with an optic, I presume a red dot(?). With lower 1/3 co-witnessed iron sights, you would use the red dot in the same manner as you do with the Ruger (assuming it is, in fact, a red dot). The iron sights are in place merely as a backup, should the red dot fail. You are not aligning the red dot and the irons in a lower 1/3 co-witness situation. The benefit of using the lower 1/3 (or 1/4 or 1/5 as seen in handguns) is to keep the viewing screen of the optic as open and free of obstruction as possible, yet having iron sights readily available in case they are needed.

·
Registered
861 Posts
My first taste of a red dot on a pistol was my sparc 2 on my victory 22.

lower 1/3 is the way to go imo. Bring the gun to target, use the irons to find the dot...make sure the dot is on target, squeeze. eventually I'm sure I'll be able to essentially skip the first step but they are always there if you need them which is nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.