SIG Talk banner

Polygonal Rifled Barrels for P-Series and 320.

6954 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Dlarrym1
Does anyone know of any manufacturers who make polygonally rifled barrels for the P226 or the 320 (9mm mainly).

- If they make threaded versions that is a bonus (for the full size). If not, what make is recommended as the best for aftermarket threadeds?

Thanks
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,948 Posts
BarSto makes excellent quality barrels, threaded as well. They are not polygonal rifling. Curious as to the reason you want polygonal rifling?
Not speaking for the OP but proponents for polygonal rifling say it deforms the bullet less so it's more accurate and it makes less friction so velocity is increased as well.

IMO it's easier to clean.

Here's a good article that says more than my abbreviated answer

https://bearingarms.com/ccantrell/2...ullets-conventional-versus-polygonal-rifling/

· Registered
282 Posts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling#Advantages
Providing a better gas seal around the projectile as polygonal bores tend to have a slightly smaller bore area, which translates into more efficient use of the combustion gases trapped behind the bullet,[4] slightly greater (consistency in) muzzle velocities and slightly increased accuracy.[1]
H&K, Glock and others use hexagonal and octagonal rifling

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not speaking for the OP but proponents for polygonal rifling say it deforms the bullet less so it's more accurate and it makes less friction so velocity is increased as well.

IMO it's easier to clean.

Here's a good article that says more than my abbreviated answer

https://bearingarms.com/ccantrell/2...ullets-conventional-versus-polygonal-rifling/
Yes, basically all this. Especially the cleaning. I have been trying to switch to all poly handgun barrels since I noticed the difference on my HK and Glock. In theory barrel life is also longer (I generally shoot 3-400 9mm a week, so over time this could be a factor).

· Registered
51 Posts
Generally you don't see polygonal barrels from custom makers. They need to be hammer forged, and that equipment is both vastly more expensive than the equipment to do button or cut rifling that the custom makers usually use. it's also much more suited to volume production runs. Both of these factors make it much more suitable for large scale gun manufacturers than smaller custom shops.

· Registered
2 Posts
Same here.
Polygonal barrels/ rifiling is superior... duh... thats why H&K, IWI, Desert Eagle, Walther's, Glocks, (all of them), some CZ, a Jericho 941or MASADA uses Polygonal barrels.. its not new. Some rifles are Polygonal as well. I think the CZ BREN has Polygonal rifiling.. BRNO uses Polygonal barrels.

They are super easy to clean. They give you slightly higher muzzle velocity... They are usually more accurate but not always but are def not ever worse then traditional.

You guys asked... theres your answers... i dont know about KAHR byt they may have Polygonal barrels too.

The best

1 - 14 of 14 Posts