• Yes, but chambered in 9mm only

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Yes, but preferably chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W or .357 SIG

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 3.1%
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

Registered
The 224 was a chunky pistol. P239 was slimmer.
I鈥檒l give you slimmer (1.18 vs 1.4) but it held 12 9鈥檚 flush (10 .40) and was shorter(5.1 vs 4.5), but the extended mag was the 229鈥檚 mag with a sleeve. The 239 was 29.5 oz unloaded vs the 224 at 29.0 oz

So while it was a little thicker, it wasn鈥檛 far off a double stack 239?

Registered
I believe Mec Gar made the original P239 mags for SIG. Any chance they've made more under the Mec Gar label??
Their mags are usually top-notch.
Don't recall where, but I bought 8 from a national dealer a couple of months ago. Don't recall if Sig, Osage, or MagShack. Took a little work to clean them up (dry, rubbing internal) and put into service but all have worked perfectly.

Registered
Wife and I took out pair out for our weekly Guns N Roses date last night and remain one of our favorites, along with the 365, 365XLRZ, & 238. Concerned for parts, we don't take them out often.

Registered
No. I want supply/demand to drive the price to over $1,000. Then I鈥檒l sell mine!

Reactions: SIG Sauer

Registered
You know how Dan Wesson (maybe others) made that pistol pack that came with multiple barrel lengths you could swap yourself?

It would be cool for SIG to do a limited run of a custom, never-before-made all-stainless P239 in a special kit with all the parts to convert between all three calibers in the same box. I would totally buy that.
I would place a full price deposit on that kit today, with a thirty day option on a second kit. I doubt I would need all thirty days to exercise that option. I carry a smaller/lighter striker fired firearm, because I have to. I carry either a P239 or P245 because I want to. I may be old, but "want to" still matters.

Registered
I would place a full price deposit on that kit today, with a thirty day option on a second kit. I doubt I would need all thirty days to exercise that option. I carry a smaller/lighter striker fired firearm, because I have to. I carry either a P239 or P245 because I want to. I may be old, but "want to" still matters.
P239s (in 9 or.357) and a P245 are in my regular carry roster. It's hard to beat that P245 for pure accuracy. It's an amazing pistol.

Registered
P239s (in 9 or.357) and a P245 are in my regular carry roster. It's hard to beat that P245 for pure accuracy. It's an amazing pistol.
I only carry the P series when I can wear covering clothing. Even though I have all three calibers of P239, I only carry the 357sig. I choose between the 239 and 245 according to expected crowd size and how thick of clothing I expect the bad guys to be wearing. Don鈥檛 relish the thought of an unexpected 鈥渢wo for one鈥 scenario.

Reactions: MattyD380

Registered
I鈥檒l give you slimmer (1.18 vs 1.4) but it held 12 9鈥檚 flush (10 .40) and was shorter(5.1 vs 4.5), but the extended mag was the 229鈥檚 mag with a sleeve. The 239 was 29.5 oz unloaded vs the 224 at 29.0 oz

So while it was a little thicker, it wasn鈥檛 far off a double stack 239?
I don't mean to nitpick, but the 9MM P239 is just about 25 oz. unloaded (~27.5 oz. loaded). Those 4 oz., plus the slim frame, make the P239 a much easier, more comfortable, carry.

Registered
I don't mean to nitpick, but the 9MM P239 is just about 25 oz. unloaded (~27.5 oz. loaded). Those 4 oz., plus the slim frame, make the P239 a much easier, more comfortable, carry.
Ok, I looked it up online before posting and the only source of the numbers you give is wikipedia, two other sites including ttag listed the 29.5 figure. I guess I鈥檒l verify it when I go home tonight, and I鈥檒l weigh both and respond with the findings.

Registered
Caveat: I don鈥檛 have calipers.

But...

I think the slide width on most P-Series models is more less the same (except for the P229 and the P224).

I removed the slides from a P6, 2 P239s, and a P220鈥攖he widths all matched. Pretty much exactly. Interestingly, even my .357 P239鈥檚 slide matched up with with the others; it鈥檚 no thicker, it鈥檚 just taller (and less relief above the serrations). Cant speak for a P226鈥揹on鈥檛 currently own one.

Just to get ballpark numbers, I measured the slides with a ruler (I know, not precise鈥攏o calipers)... it鈥檚 about an inch. Maybe just very slightly more? Maybe.

The width measurements you get on the internet almost always include levers and other BS. So it鈥檚 tough to get a real sense of slide thickness. But... long story short... with a slide width at ~1 inch, a single stack Sig is a pretty darn slim gun鈥攐n par with a 1911. (If I had to put money on it, I鈥檇 be inclined to think a 1911 slide is marginally thinner鈥攂ut not by much).

Registered
. I guess I鈥檒l verify it when I go home tonight, and I鈥檒l weigh both and respond with the findings.
So I did the un-scientific test. To verify the scale I searched the kitchen and found a new 1lb bag of almonds figuring it should weigh a little more with the bag. It did, 16.5 oz. Another caveat is the 239 has a crimson trace grip so that probably adds an ounce? But after weighing everything, it seems that Sig over estimates their weights.

P239 9mm 27.8 oz, with 8 round magazine 30.1 oz
P224 9mm 26.3 oz, with 12 round magazine 28.6 oz, with p229 15 round magazine 29.7 oz

Note the 239 does have a crimson trace, so you can subtract what you believe the difference in weight is between standard grips and the crimson trace? A full ounce? Little more?

For the neigh-sayers

Registered
I really considered buying a 239 .357 Sig yesterday. We took a lady in our church to look for her first handgun. It was a store that was about 2 hours away.After she found what she wanted I was looking at the used case. They had a 239 .357, 239 9mm, and 224 357 in the case. The 239was $650 while the 224 was $700. The 239 felt very nice in hand. I really considered it but just wasn鈥檛 sure if I wanted to take the leap knowing that spare mags and such would be hard to find. Also currently trying to find .357 Sig ammo I figured would be a challenge. It was a .49 I would of been more inclined to buy it as I have some .40ammo. I kind of wondered if in reality it would be much difference than carrying my 229.The 224 I always thought was interesting and wanted to like them but they always felt odd when I held them.

Registered
I really considered buying a 239 .357 Sig yesterday. We took a lady in our church to look for her first handgun. It was a store that was about 2 hours away.After she found what she wanted I was looking at the used case. They had a 239 .357, 239 9mm, and 224 357 in the case. The 239was $650 while the 224 was $700. The 239 felt very nice in hand. I really considered it but just wasn鈥檛 sure if I wanted to take the leap knowing that spare mags and such would be hard to find. Also currently trying to find .357 Sig ammo I figured would be a challenge. It was a .49 I would of been more inclined to buy it as I have some .40ammo. I kind of wondered if in reality it would be much difference than carrying my 229.The 224 I always thought was interesting and wanted to like them but they always felt odd when I held them.
As a note, the 239 in .357 just needs a .40 barrel swap (and magazine change) to fire .40. It needs the mag change because sig for some reason made a .357 sig only magazine for the 239, go figure?

Really nice gun, I like them both. Buy the one that feels comfortable, which for me is usually the next one馃槑

61 - 74 of 74 Posts