• Yes, but preferably chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W or .357 SIG

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 3.1%
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well, I have 3 P239's, 40, 9mm, and 357. I also have the P225 and P225A1. Nah, don't bring it back. I'm happy with what I have....lol. Plus keeps my sets into the getting rare category. Although, prior to the P365, the P239 was the most concealable sig offered in the DA/SA category. My first P239 was from Detroit PD when they transitioned to the "G" word gun. Unfired with three mags, case, and NS for $435. Can't beat the price.
Before the 365 the 239 was most concealable in production, but don't forget about the smaller P232/230's, although in .380.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like my EDC Kimber ..
just that I can't get red dot on it .
I think having Red Dot is the main reason people "like Me" want to go for Sig polymer striker
Again.. still waiting for P365-X .. :)

Attachments

·
Banned
476 Posts
I really enjoy my P239 SAS in .357 SIG. with the 8rd SIG magazines. Gives you 8+1 shots of some very spicy meatballs. The P239 has just enough heft to tame them. I run the P239 as a woods gun, not an necessarily an EDC.

Still, it's a tough sell when compared to running a P365. It's such a chunky monkey by comparison. In .357 or .40 you can at least say "well at least I'm getting a more powerful cartridge" and if your hazards include 4 legged threats there is a persuasive argument for a little more zing.

Running a P239 in 9mm? No way. Wouldn't do it. I'd go for my P99c (if I wanted DA/SA) or P365 each and every time instead.

I could carry Akimbo Beretta Pico's (silly as that might be) and still have less weight to deal with than a single P239... food for thought.

Edit:

P.S.
I just think the P239 occupies an unusual space. While it was once a slim beauty queen, time has passed and turned it into a fat old housewife.

There is no path for the P239 to ever gain sizable appeal to your average gun buyer. It would at best be a niche product. Might sell if they made an optics ready Legion version.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
10,920 Posts
That's a no for me. Don't think it would sell that well.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Before the 365 the 239 was most concealable but don't forget out the smaller P232/230's, although out of production.
You're right. I forgot about the 232/230. I guess I ignored those as the Walther PPKs served my purpose at the time. Although the Walther's trigger pull was horrible. But it was a backup so there's that

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
+1 ^^^^^
I love my P365's....But I have kept these, the smallest of the venerable DA/SA S&W 3rd Gens hammer-fired metal framed close at hand. The CS9 Chief's special 7+1 especially as it's small enough for pocket-carry in a custom MICA holster. Midway recently had a deal on S&W mags for them at underr $20. I stocked up. You know....'Just in case' lol

If Smith didn't stop building metal framed hammer fired pistols I wouldn't be buying Sigs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m still kicking myself. Had a chance to buy a barely used 239 in .40. The price was $399. It looked like it maybe had 50 rounds through it if most. I’m surprised Sig hasn’t made a legion version of this. They are doing a legion version of every other pistol it seems

·
Registered
43 Posts
Odd, Kimber and Walther are introducing new metal frame guns. Metal frame DA/SA will never die, its just that newbies and the government like plastic striker fired, doesn't mean its going to replace DA/SA. DA/SA didn't replace SA 1911s, everyone and their brother is making them.
Has Kimber actually made a DA/SA gun? They only really seem to make 1911s and revolvers. And Walther did have the steel frame Q5 but that was a striker gun and the PPK will last a while riding on its clout but I doubt Walther will ever start making anything else DA/SA and metal framed, especially with the PDP showing what direction they're moving in and the lack of a Hellcat/P365/Shield + equivalent. I don't think DA/SA is going to go completely extinct but it'll probably get to a point where the Beretta 92 and P226 are the last ones standing in a sea of plastic.
If Smith didn't stop building metal framed hammer fired pistols I wouldn't be buying Sigs.
Agreed there, if the 5906/4006 or their alloy frame counterparts were still in production with modern trappings there's no question that's what I'd be carrying/using for home defense. As it is though I like the older P-series Sigs too and the P229 fits that well enough.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Love it! and the smallest size my hand can handle.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Has Kimber actually made a DA/SA gun? They only really seem to make 1911s and revolvers. And Walther did have the steel frame Q5 but that was a striker gun and the PPK will last a while riding on its clout but I doubt Walther will ever start making anything else DA/SA and metal framed, especially with the PDP showing what direction they're moving in and the lack of a Hellcat/P365/Shield + equivalent. I don't think DA/SA is going to go completely extinct but it'll probably get to a point where the Beretta 92 and P226 are the last ones standing in a sea of plastic.

Agreed there, if the 5906/4006 or their alloy frame counterparts were still in production with modern trappings there's no question that's what I'd be carrying/using for home defense. As it is though I like the older P-series Sigs too and the P229 fits that well enough.
When the sturdy and reliable 3rd Gen Smiths got their lunch eaten in the 80's and 90's by departments looking to cut costs; many of the their DA/SA fans migrated to SIG and....CZ who still makes a world-class assortment of alloy-framed, hammer-fired DA/SA pistols. The CZ-75 P-01 and PCR are standouts. However, even the CZ line lacks a slim sub-compact DA/SA with at least 10+1, especially now with the discontinue of the CZ RAMI. I'm hoping CZ will modify their excellent P-07 DA/SA into a sub-compact.

It seems the demand is there for a slim sub-compact DA/SA, hopefully someone that knows how to build great DA/SA pistols will fill it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've introduced several ladies to pistol shooting who had small hands. They had grip problems with double-stacks and even with some single-stacks. But every one of them loved the P239, in 9MM.
I even shot with a guy who had very small hands. When he shot my P239 he went shopping for one for himself.
My hands are a little larger than "average" but I can shoot the P239 well. And for concealment, that slim frame works well.
I think there would be a market for it. Looks like nearly 60% of the respondents to this survey agree.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts

The kimber and walther comment was in reference to metal frames.I didn't say they made DA/SA.
Walther has a new metal frame gun, the Q4.

DA/SA isn't going to go away because there is another firing mechanism.Did bolt actions and lever actions go away because of semi auto? no, to say DA/SA is going to go away because of plastic striker guns is absolutely ridiculous and ignorant as can be.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I would love it if SIG could bring back all of the models that everyone here wanted. At the end of the day they simply don't sell enough of them to make it profitable.

·
Registered
22,023 Posts
I believe Mec Gar made the original P239 mags for SIG. Any chance they've made more under the Mec Gar label??
Their mags are usually top-notch.
No. I think SIG still prevents them from making them under their name. Like the P220 mags. But I doubt Mec-Gar will want to make them with the gun being discontinued.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I would because I need something else to spend money on but would want something in production and in .40 S&W.

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have two P239's, both in 9mm, one is a SAS model. And I also have a P225-A1. I like the compact single stacks! But I don't think there is much of a market for an all-metal DA/SA single stack, especially at the prices that SIG demands. I also have a Walther PPS M2, which can be found at retail for $350, and with the 8 round magazine holds as many rounds as a P239. Admittedly, I don't care for the Glock-style safety lever in the trigger, so my PPS languishes in its box in my safe as there is not much resale value.

With the Glock 43/48 models, as well as S&W Shield, SA Hellcat, Kahr, etc., the wave is the polymer frame striker-fired DAO. Additionally, shooters don't have to learn how to shoot both DA and SA; it's only point and shoot. There is no practical reason for SIG to introduce a single stack P239 with a polymer frame when they already have the P365.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts