Votes: 24 18.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 3.1%
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should SIG bring back the P239 and why or why not?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I wish Sig would bring the 239 back. Not sure if people would love it then, not sure if they love it now, but when I look at the history of Sig - their Swiss and German beginnings, the quality and level of competence they acheived with outstanding pistols like the P226 and P229(from the 228), the building of the Sig name - to have an American offering like the P239, which I believe can absolutely hold it's own against everything those previous offerings did and can do, shows what a marvelous accomplishment this was in its own right. And with that said, having it be smaller, even if just slightly so, magnifies its standing on its own right. I have the 320 and 50 years from now there will be some interest in my 320, but this P239 will be a treasure to someone. Sig should build it.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
We all wish SIG would bring back this or that model. Nothing wrong with that. But, wishing is one thing, and reality is another. There are just no incentives for them to bring back the old guards, when they can't even keep up with current production lines while making a killing off them.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,320 Posts
Except for the P220, no other "single stack" DA/SA models available. But as already mentioned, if no enthusiasm from LE or Military for the bulk sales that Sig seeks, doubtful it will happen. The only likely scenario would be a long term "capacity" ban!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Micro-compact pistols are Red Hot, and Optic-Ready models are even hotter. The P365 P365X P365XL hit the sweet-spot in terms of size, interchangeability of components, easily M/S or not, and at least 10+1 capacity. And that's why it's sold over 1 million. Unfortunately, although a fine handgun, the P239 is much larger, heavier, with less capacity.

Many of us still prefer DA/SA Pistols like our trusty P229's and P226's yet want something smaller for DEEP CONCEAL.
Now, IF SIG could figure out how to make a DA/SA pistol the size of the P365 with 10+1.....I think THAT would be a winner. However, strikers have become so accepted now I have to wonder if we're beating a dead horse. If you're patient, and willing to pay the price, you can still find good P239's out there. Extra magazines however, may cost you dearly.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Only if they can reengineer the mag to a stack and a half to increase capacity. Otherwise it won’t sell enough to make it viable.
My P239 in 9MM is one of the most accurate 9MM pistols I own. The only one to surpass it in accuracy is my P210. Why SIG discontinued it when it still appears to be in demand is a mystery.
The P225A1 uses the same barrel and slide as the P239 but the frame is larger and has nice G10 grips. The magazines for these two pistol are virtually the same, except the P225 mag has an awkward extension on the bottom.
The P225 could easily have the capacity bumped up by a few rounds probably by redesigning the magazine. I doubt the frame would need to be changed.
This way the P239/P225 could be had with the slim (P239) frame, ideal for concealment, or the larger/higher cap (P225) frame. Course, SIG discontinued the P225 also.
I own both and would not sell/trade either one.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
When we are slapped with a 10 rnd mag cap Sig might consider single stacks.
How many of you pistoleros have been in a gun fight and needed more than one round? 2 rounds? How many have been in a gun fight?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Well, I have 3 P239's, 40, 9mm, and 357. I also have the P225 and P225A1. Nah, don't bring it back. I'm happy with what I have....lol. Plus keeps my sets into the getting rare category. Although, prior to the P365, the P239 was the most concealable sig offered in the DA/SA category. My first P239 was from Detroit PD when they transitioned to the "G" word gun. Unfired with three mags, case, and NS for $435. Can't beat the price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Should they? Absolutely. Will they? Probably not as the DA/SA compact single stack 9mm is no longer the CCW meta. The future is polymer striker 9s as far as the eye can see and we're going to be dragged kicking and screaming into it as the old DA/SA wonder 9s die off one by one.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I believe Mec Gar made the original P239 mags for SIG. Any chance they've made more under the Mec Gar label??
Their mags are usually top-notch.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Should they? Absolutely. Will they? Probably not as the DA/SA compact single stack 9mm is no longer the CCW meta. The future is polymer striker 9s as far as the eye can see and we're going to be dragged kicking and screaming into it as the old DA/SA wonder 9s die off one by one.
Odd, Kimber and Walther are introducing new metal frame guns. Metal frame DA/SA will never die, its just that newbies and the government like plastic striker fired, doesn't mean its going to replace DA/SA. DA/SA didn't replace SA 1911s, everyone and their brother is making them.

·
Registered
941 Posts
+1 ^^^^^
I love my P365's....But I have kept these, the smallest of the venerable DA/SA S&W 3rd Gens hammer-fired metal framed close at hand. The CS9 Chief's special 7+1 especially as it's small enough for pocket-carry in a custom MICA holster. Midway recently had a deal on S&W mags for them at underr $20. I stocked up. You know....'Just in case' lol

1 - 20 of 74 Posts