SIG Talk banner

POLL- considering their price relative to polymer pistols, do you think all classic SIG pistols shou

• Yes

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 1.8%
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

馃帠USAF Retired
Yes, all new pistols from every manufacture should now be Red Dot capable. Also, all manufactures of red dots need to settle on a standard configuration. Red dots are part of the future and the new pistol buying consumer will demand this. Companies with lame proprietary designs will fall behind.

馃帠USA Veteran
I have a P226 Legion LE and a P229 LE that both came optic ready but I have no intention of putting an optic on either of them. Nothing against red dots. I have them on my .22 target pistols, a P320 and a P365 (but not for long). My vision is poor and they help for target shooting but for self defense I prefer iron sights.

Registered
馃槀 馃槀 馃槀

Yeah, I do like optics, though I actually own more pistols without red dots than with. But I don't consider them to be any more of a "gimmick" on a pistol than I would consider them a gimmick on a carbine. They aren't a shortcut for anything - you still have to know how to shoot. But I find it funny that the only people who seem to find them to be a gimmick, or some sort of cheating, are people who generally have little to no experience with them, yet feel compelled to pontificate anyway.

Uh...is this some sort of Texas thing?
Now "cheating" isn't in my definition of gimmick. Cheating is cheating. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings but I never called red dots cheating. That's a fragment of your own imagination.

Your posts are living and breathing. With every edit you make there are new arms and legs added. If I wanted to play cat and mouse I'd go hitch up the barn cat and watch him plow.

Would it be "pontificating" if I asked you if we can just agree to disagree? Sure, you can go back and edit your posts after I've gone to bed......after all, it's a nice gimmick.

Out.

Premium Member
Now "cheating" isn't in my definition of gimmick. Cheating is cheating. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings but I never called red dots cheating. That's a fragment of your own imagination.

Your posts are living and breathing. With every edit you make there are new arms and legs added. If I wanted to play cat and mouse I'd go hitch up the barn cat and watch him plow.

Would it be "pontificating" if I asked you if we can just agree to disagree? Sure, you can go back and edit your posts after I've gone to bed......after all, it's a nice gimmick.

Out.
Easy, chief. Sounds like your feelings have been a lot more affected by this than mine, my friend. Maybe go for a nice walk, take a deep breath and enjoy the evening. ;)

Registered
It is like asking to put a picitiny rail and red dot on a M-1 Garand. A classic is a classic. That is why people buy them in the first place. To retain it's place in history. I have a Sig Sauer P229 SAS Gen 2, I bought in 2009. The perfect concealed carry pistol, IMO. Not changing it.

Registered
I agree with @KenBry on one thing though. The industry needs to get their act together and have one mounting standard. It's ridiculous that those that want reddots and MRO's have to figure out which adapter plates they need to make it work. It's one reason piston AR's aren't as popular. Every damn one of them is proprietary and proprietary and modular don't play well together.

馃帠USA Veteran
They already come with optics but those of us of a certain age still call them sights and we know how to use them. Get off the lawn!
No an optic requires a lense by definition, so the standard sights by definition are not optics. Even the diopter sights used on competition guns without lenses are not optics.

Registered
No an optic requires a lense by definition, so the standard sights by definition are not optics. Even the diopter sights used on competition guns without lenses are not optics.
:oops:

Dude, it was sarcasm. I was jokingly referring to iron sights as 'optics'. I thought the 'get off the lawn' comment made it clear I was being a smartass.

馃帠USA Veteran
I agree with @KenBry on one thing though. The industry needs to get their act together and have one mounting standard. It's ridiculous that those that want reddots and MRO's have to figure out which adapter plates they need to make it work. It's one reason piston AR's aren't as popular. Every damn one of them is proprietary and proprietary and modular don't play well together.
I can agree with this that there should be a more standard mounting pattern for the mrds. It would make things far easier on the consumer, then all the slides could just be milled for one pattern and plates wouldn't be needed.

Registered
I can agree with this that there should be a more standard mounting pattern for the mrds. It would make things far easier on the consumer, then all the slides could just be milled for one pattern and plates wouldn't be needed.
I'm okay with 2 footprints. RMR for all thick slides, 507k/RMS for all thin slides. Although it's proven now that 507k/RMS footprint will also handle wider slides and optics just fine, I don't think we will get anyone to agree that this will be the one and only footprint.

Most bigger closed emitters other than the EPS will likely be stuck with RMR adapter plates or direct mill. I don't think we will be able to convince everyone to go to a clamp style mount.

Registered
I voted NO! I suppose some specialized pistols, (target, plinking etc.) may come optics ready, but for self defense, which is what a pistol is/was designed for, should be able to be deployed in a hurry without any encumbrances. They were also designed for close in use.

Registered
I voted no. I personally won't buy Sigs that aren't optics-cut, unless I want them badly enough to spend the $150 or so to get them milled (and then only if they are millable - many older Sig slides are not). With my lousy eyesight, anything other than close quarters self-defense will go very poorly without an optic. I don't own either a P210 or P220 for this (and only this) reason.

That said, I think it makes more sense for Sig to offer both slide options, vs all one or the other. That would allow those with good eyes and preferring a classic look to enjoy a clean slide, and yet also let people like me be functional with a classic Sig. Probably hard to retrofit the older classics, but optic-challenged models have a damper on their sales in today's market (IMHO).
It would also provide the opportunity to trade for an optic equipped gun in the secondary market as your eyes got older because there would be more market availability.

Premium Member
I personally have no interest in putting optics on any handgun鈥 don鈥檛 even like Lasers on handguns. I think it was originally just an idea some marketing guy had to sell more stuff to us.

Registered
For me yes. I have optics on all my pistols. Although there is a fear of losing my skill with iron sights. Optics are just better, faster, and the present/future.

I totally get the purist opinion. Just like 1911 or heck classic P-series folks hating rails on their guns. I get it. Change is scary :happydance:

Honestly though I prefer precut slides assuming they are a better value than me purchasing a non optic cut slide and having it done.

I don't run iron sights on my AKs or ARs, pistols are no different.

Premium Member
I'm concerned about the future of metal guns in general, same with all metal cars, look what happened to them! As far as Optics cuts,they have their place, I love it on my FN. Not even interested for my 229 EDC! Sig Sauer is a great company, I think they're smart enough to know what the market is, and who their customers are. I don't think the issue for them is "if you build it they will come" more likely if you want it we will build it.

Registered
I'm concerned about the future of metal guns in general, same with all metal cars, look what happened to them! As far as Optics cuts,they have their place, I love it on my FN. Not even interested for my 229 EDC! Sig Sauer is a great company, I think they're smart enough to know what the market is, and who their customers are. I don't think the issue for them is "if you build it they will come" more likely if you want it we will build it.
No

Registered
I know it's not the question, but I would like to see all of sigs RDO slides come drilled for the pro and the rmr and have suppressor height sights on them, so all you have to do is add the optic of choice and a spacer plate if running an rmr pattern.

Soli Deo Gloria

41 - 60 of 66 Posts