SIG Talk banner

POLL- considering their price relative to polymer pistols, do you think all classic SIG pistols shou

• Yes

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 1.8%
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sadly, I don't think new versions of the all metal Classic P's are going to be part of the future for all that much longer anyway. The plastic striker guns will continue take market share and mostly all be optics ready - - done deal. I won't buy one, but then I haven't purchased a recently made brand new Sig in years. I own one railed P229 that sometimes serves HD duty, but mostly that job is taken by an AR pistol.
I respect your opinion but disagree. Look at the 1911. I don't see that going anywhere soon. And even if the classic P series does not have that kind of history, Military or otherwise, I think they're much better for the modern gunner. And that's really the point. I didn't choose the P229 because it's a classic SIG. I bought one because it literally is the best pistol out there for my needs. I've owned dozens and this is by far the best gun I've owned for under $1,000. In fact, very few pistols come close in my opinion.

Reactions: Wyvern

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I voted no because of the word "all" in the poll's question. I wouldn't mind if Sig offered an optic cut as an option on their Classic P's. I like my classic SIG's, none of which Sig makes anymore, the way they are without an optics cut. I purchased a legacy P229 slide, with an optics cut and a Trijicon RDS mounted, from a member here. The sight didn't work for him I guess. I replaced the Trijicon with a green circle dot Holosun and that went on my P229 40 legacy slide, no rail EDC. Nice, as I have the original slide too. I've been carrying with the optic for a couple of years now and it works well for me. I don't I'd molest and of my other classic-P's, as I'm too old to shoot competition and they have Seniors, but not a "Way Too Dang Old Class".
That's a good point, but I chose "all" because that would be the best way to make it as affordable as possible considering economy of scale, and I personally see no downside to it so long as they didn't pull that plastic plate **** like some gunmakers (when not using the optic).

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
While I have Sigs with optic cut slides, I still voted no. I like my P series just the way they are.
As for the price, you get what you pay for. Anything plastic is cheaper.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not in every case. Perhaps as an option, as in you can buy a 229 with or without. I'm still not convinced that optics are here to stay, at least in large numbers. I will likely be picking one up soon for my 365X but I'm perfectly happy with my Classics as they are.
Some folks buy some guns as something to collect and admire, and/or investments. I know that I do, though in modest numbers.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Not offering the all-metal hammer line with optic-ready slides (at least as an option) will only push them even further into being niche guns, purchased by fewer and fewer people. Purchasing an already expensive gun, and then having to spend several hundred more dollars to have it milled, is something fewer and fewer people are going to want to do. It will also push more people to purchase striker guns, as many already come OR, and that will only continue to increase until it is the standard.

After-market slide milling services really only came about because not that long ago, hardly any gun was produced OR from the factory, but that is changing fast. I don't see slide milling as being much of a growth industry as things move forward, because so many options will already be OR.

As an aside, I really wish that if manufacturers are going to describe a model as "optics ready" that this means it includes optic-height sights as well. Otherwise, it's only "partially optics ready" imo.

The direction of the market is undeniable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pistol dots is the future (or present) but most factory optics cuts suck. Universal footprints and adaptor plates are none ideal. I prefer aftermarket cuts for direct mount for the specific optic.
If anything, they could make the slides a little easier to mill for lower sitting optics. P226 with lightening cuts are known for being difficult to cut.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Moving forward, the trend seems to be for everything to be optics ready.

Personally, everything I have bought in the last few years except for the 1911's have a red dot on it, it just makes things easier now that I have reached the age where I need readers to see the front sight.

I do have many pistols in my collection, and even more in my Dad's, that do not have red dots and never will, so who knows, some time down the road when which ever descendent get's control of the family collection, they may be worth more as "pre-optic pistols."

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Nah ... we should have the option to have the type of sights / slides we want. I not going to use an optic or RDS on any defensive / carry gun. So, I don't want to pay for a bunch of pieces, parts and mill work that I'm never going to use.

I do have a C-More competition style RDS on a Ruger MK IV .22 but it's strictly a range toy. And the C-More just uses a standard one-piece scope base ...nuttin' fancy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I love it that the classic P-Series guns are generally not optics-ready. Keeps the "classic" part of their description in-tact. And yes, I fully understand that optics are the way of the future/present. But I believe the P226 (and Beretta 92) will both fall into the same category as the 1911 by the time the next generation is shooting and there will always be a market, niche or not, for classic guns.

Nice thing is that Sig offers the "pro cut" slide and I own one for my P226 so I can swap out the factory slide for one with a Trijicon SRO installed. It's a great option to have.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is honestly offensive. Why on God's green earth would you replace arguably the best red dot on the market (that's American-made) with a Chinese slave labor optic from an IP-stealing Chinese company? :facepalm:
When Trijicon makes a closed emitter red dot or a compact red dot that doesn't suck, I'll gladly buy them over slave labor optics.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Classics are better left as classics.
I understand that sentiment. For example, I think red dots look really weird on 1911s, and I think I always will.

But one of the things I really like about the Sig classic designs is that they manage to look 'classic' and yet still have a modern aesthetic at the same time. And for that reason, I don't really think an optic looks out of place on my P229.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I understand that sentiment. For example, I think red dots look really weird on 1911s, and I think I always will.

But one of the things I really like about the Sig classic designs is that they manage to look 'classic' and yet still have a modern aesthetic at the same time. And for that reason, I don't really think an optic looks out of place on my P229.
Getting my 226 ruined/unclassified with a 509 direct mount. The wider slide on the Sigs definitely makes it more aesthetically pleasing compared to the top heavy look on the thin slides of a 1911 or CZ.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My buddy is 85 years old and we still shoot a couple of times a week.

A few weeks ago I got a call from a LGS telling me that they just got in something that I'd be interested in. Sammy and I are at the shooting bench when the call comes in, so we saddle up and head to town.

While I'm doing the paperwork on a nice P228 he is pestering a clerk into showing him another pistol from the display case.

I look over and Sammy is holding a P365xl with a RDO on the slide. The clerk is putting the hard sell on the optics but Sammy has this look on his face like he's talking to a Martian. But he likes the way the pistol feels in his hand...so he buys it.

Sammy is one of the best shots that I've had the pleasure of knowing. He can throw a coke can into the air and put three rounds through it before it hits the ground. He does this stunt with a .45acp 1911 shooting from the hip AFTER drawing from a holster.

We get back out to his ranch and he asks me to "take that damn thing off my gun". The RDO goes back in the box. His first attempt at the coke can yields two out of three shots hitting the can....No rear sites on the gun. But remember, he is shooting from the hip after a draw. When the can is tossed his pistol is still in the holster.

It took about a week to get the rear sight and plate to clean up the gaping scar left on the slide from the RDO removal.

This type of shooting is called point shooting. It's something that you have to invest time and training to master. It's not a gimmick that's for sale.

Shooting is a mighty big tent with room for all types of folks. Some do bullseye, competition, rifle, black powder, and defensive. Lots of room for lots of different shooters. None more better or more valid than the next. Just different.

I've always focused on defensive shooting and CCW. In that vane, I've removed iron sights on all sorts of "classic" pistols to eliminate snags on the draw.

So, if you're a RDO fanboi.....I challenge you. Holster your pistol and toss a coke can into the air. Three shots, using your fancy sights.....OK, this is a rhetorical question....I get that YOUR range probably won't let you draw from a holster, much less toss coke cans in the air.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My buddy is 85 years old and we still shoot a couple of times a week.

A few weeks ago I got a call from a LGS telling me that they just got in something that I'd be interested in. Sammy and I are at the shooting bench when the call comes in, so we saddle up and head to town.

While I'm doing the paperwork on a nice P228 he is pestering a clerk into showing him another pistol from the display case.

I look over and Sammy is holding a P365xl with a RDO on the slide. The clerk is putting the hard sell on the optics but Sammy has this look on his face like he's talking to a Martian. But he likes the way the pistol feels in his hand...so he buys it.

Sammy is one of the best shots that I've had the pleasure of knowing. He can throw a coke can into the air and put three rounds through it before it hits the ground. He does this stunt with a .45acp 1911 shooting from the hip AFTER drawing from a holster.

We get back out to his ranch and he asks me to "take that damn thing off my gun". The RDO goes back in the box. His first attempt at the coke can yields two out of three shots hitting the can....No rear sites on the gun. But remember, he is shooting from the hip after a draw. When the can is tossed his pistol is still in the holster.

It took about a week to get the rear sight and plate to clean up the gaping scar left on the slide from the RDO removal.

This type of shooting is called point shooting. It's something that you have to invest time and training to master. It's not a gimmick that's for sale.

Shooting is a mighty big tent with room for all types of folks. Some do bullseye, competition, rifle, black powder, and defensive. Lots of room for lots of different shooters. None more better or more valid than the next. Just different.

I've always focused on defensive shooting and CCW. In that vane, I've removed iron sights on all sorts of "classic" pistols to eliminate snags on the draw.

So, if you're a RDO fanboi.....I challenge you. Holster your pistol and toss a coke can into the air. Three shots, using your fancy sights.....OK, this is a rhetorical question....I get that YOUR range probably won't let you draw from a holster, much less toss coke cans in the air.
Does having a RDS on your handgun magically stops you from being able to point shoot?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My classic Sigs go without optics but I do swap any older night or contrast sights for X-Ray or HD sights. My striker fired Sigs get the optics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 66 Posts