SIG Talk banner

POLL- considering their price relative to polymer pistols, do you think all classic SIG pistols shou

• Yes

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 1.8%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
POLL- considering their price relative to polymer pistols, do you think all classic SIG pistols should come optics ready?

Reactions: Carmel Sig

·
Registered
720 Posts
No. I want my P-series to be unmolested.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I voted no. I don't use optics anyway and IMO, the cutout looks especially ugly on the classic SIGs.

Purely entertaining your question, also no. Because "bang for buck" has never really been the name of the game in the world of SIGs (except the SIG Pro lineup).
I feel the same way in the sense that I don't plan on using an optic, but my thoughts could always change and it would be nice to know an expensive pistol had the option. Moreover, it's not about bang-for-your-buck. It's about the fact that pistols costing half as much have recently started going that route, and not keeping up on the higher end guns is going to make them even less competitive. Personally, I also don't give a rip if the slide doesn't look as pretty as the original. I'm not a purist. I love the look of the P229, for example, but I care more about its performance and capabilities than its looks. That's just me.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I voted no. I personally won't buy Sigs that aren't optics-cut, unless I want them badly enough to spend the $150 or so to get them milled (and then only if they are millable - many older Sig slides are not). With my lousy eyesight, anything other than close quarters self-defense will go very poorly without an optic. I don't own either a P210 or P220 for this (and only this) reason.

That said, I think it makes more sense for Sig to offer both slide options, vs all one or the other. That would allow those with good eyes and preferring a classic look to enjoy a clean slide, and yet also let people like me be functional with a classic Sig. Probably hard to retrofit the older classics, but optic-challenged models have a damper on their sales in today's market (IMHO).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I feel the same way in the sense that I don't plan on using an optic, but my thoughts could always change and it would be nice to know an expensive pistol had the option. Moreover, it's not about bang-for-your-buck. It's about the fact that pistols costing half as much have recently started going that route, and not keeping up on the higher end guns is going to make them even less competitive. Personally, I also don't give a rip if the slide doesn't look as pretty as the original. I'm not a purist. I love the look of the P229, for example, but I care more about its performance and capabilities than its looks. That's just me.
I also prefer the "form follows function" philosophy. But I choose SIGs (which all have equally great function) based on aesthetics. If I used optics, I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune.

I think the difference between us is that I probably won't change my mind about optics in the future. If I did, I'd compare multiple guns (SIG and non-SIG) to make a very short list of the best ones (function). And then I'd pick whichever one on that short list looks/feels the best (form).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Actually that's not exactly what I was getting at. SIG currently has both options, a regular gun for $1000 and an optics-ready gun for $1200 (not exact prices but close enough for my point). What I'm saying is: if they were all optics-ready, I think they'd all cost the $1200, not $1000.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually that's not exactly what I was getting at. SIG currently has both options, a regular gun for $1000 and an optics-ready gun for $1200 (not exact prices but close enough for my point). What I'm saying is: if they were all optics-ready, I think they'd all cost the $1200, not $1000.
But that's my point, they don't need to be that expensive or exclusive. I can buy a Beretta APX-A1 which is optics ready for $399 new. My P229 is a way better pistol, but is it three times as good? No. No way. Optics are the future, whether we adopt them or not, and I think it's just silly to not have the option at this point. It's going to be like front slide serrations used to be in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Umm no. I don't want any classic SIGs with any cutout nonsense.
I don't like the cutout garbage either (as in the slide lightening cuts and slide serrations of the optics ready model), but as far as a cut and plate in place, I think people are taking aesthetics too far. This is my carry pistol. I like it to look good, but the functionality trumps looks. In fact, I think the optics ready solution barely changes the look of the pistol. Then again, that is only my opinion.

Reactions: SAL

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: IngramTx and flwing

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think this is going to be decided by the next generation of guybuyers. I can't imagine people coming of age interested in a classic SIG pistol are going to want it without an optics cut. People might buy one without in the future if that's all they can afford, but that's my point of making it standard. I don't care what anyone says, you can price point a P229 or P226 at the base price with an optic. So many companies are turning to that offering it's not even a question at this point.

And if I was the CEO and people were telling me to keep it as is, I would consider having them looking for a new job.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
I voted no because of the word "all" in the poll's question. I wouldn't mind if Sig offered an optic cut as an option on their Classic P's. I like my classic SIG's, none of which Sig makes anymore, the way they are without an optics cut. I purchased a legacy P229 slide, with an optics cut and a Trijicon RDS mounted, from a member here. The sight didn't work for him I guess. I replaced the Trijicon with a green circle dot Holosun and that went on my P229 40 legacy slide, no rail EDC. Nice, as I have the original slide too. I've been carrying with the optic for a couple of years now and it works well for me. I don't I'd molest and of my other classic-P's, as I'm too old to shoot competition and they have Seniors, but not a "Way Too Dang Old Class".

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
I think this is going to be decided by the next generation of guybuyers. I can't imagine people coming of age interested in a classic SIG pistol are going to want it without an optics cut. People might buy one without in the future if that's all they can afford, but that's my point of making it standard. I don't care what anyone says, you can price point a P229 or P226 at the base price with an optic. So many companies are turning to that offering it's not even a question at this point.

And if I was the CEO and people were telling me to keep it as is, I would consider having them looking for a new job.
Sadly, I don't think new versions of the all metal Classic P's are going to be part of the future for all that much longer anyway. The plastic striker guns will continue take market share and mostly all be optics ready - - done deal. I won't buy one, but then I haven't purchased a recently made brand new Sig in years. I own one railed P229 that sometimes serves HD duty, but mostly that job is taken by an AR pistol.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts