SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently polished the chamber on my P226 Tacops where it shows through the slide when its at full battery. I did this because the finish on the area was wearing off and it was just generally starting to irritate me. I know its a natural occurence that its going to wear off I just figured it would look better polished up and shining through the slide. I was rather disappointed when taking the finish off that there were quite a few tooling marks and dings in the area I was working on that were just "filled in" with the coating that Sig used. I managed to get everything smoothed down and shined up and I think it looks damn good for an in home job! I'll post some pics up sooner or later its just a pain trying to load anything off my phone! But anyone who has had similiar experiences with this type of thing I'd love to hear from you and know how everything turned out for you.

·
Premium Member
39,170 Posts
I have been thinking of doing my Extreme 938 as well. Looking for shots to see. I saw one 225 and it looked pretty good. I don't know why Sig does nitron on hoods since they wear bad.
It is a badge of experience.
I thought of polishing the hood, and leaving the 9mm wording black.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I polished the exposed part of the chamber on my 938 Nightmare and also did the grip screws. The chamber was a nightmare to do since none of the flat surfaces were truly flat. The Nitron coating was hiding tool marks and dings as already noted. Maybe that's the reason Sig decided to coat the barrel and chamber in the first place. The finish came off easily when shooting, but required a lot of hand sanding to remove the majority then much more sanding to get all of the coating out of the tool marks and dings. I had to start with 120 grit then worked through 600 grit before polishing. I wanted to keep the black in the engraving. On a good note, the finish easily came off the grip screws.

To me, the gun looks better with those areas highlighted rather than blacked out.

·
Premium Member
39,170 Posts
Hey guys
Less talk more pictures. :D
I would love to see how they came out. Been thinkin a lot.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I'm technologically challenged. All a smart phone does for me is make me feel dumb so I don't have a clue about uploading pictures. Sorry.
Install the app called snapbucket. when you take a pic with this app then it sends it directly to the photobucket account that you have to set up. then just look at your album on photobucket and click on the img link box located under your photo of choice and it will copy the

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Don't know if I can get snapbucket on a Blackberry:(
There are a ton of photo hosting websites out there. Photobucket will work without snapbucket but you will have to manually upload the pics from your phone to your photobucket account via the web with your blackberry. I found that photobucket is about the easyest one to use with the

·
Premium Member
39,170 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,170 Posts
Hopefully this works and everyone can see them now![/QUOTE]

I can't really see the stainless hood again'st the nitron, but I can tell you really have it polished up mirror bright.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is my 2022, with polished barrel, de-cocker and slide release. Gives a pretty nice two-tone effect.
I started with wet dry sandpaper 220 grit, and went finer 330, 400, 600, 1500. the 1500 pretty much polished it to a shiny finish.

I also saw "tooling marks" although I think they are just stress marks created in the metal when the barrel hood draws under the slide.
The thing is even after i polished the hood I still get wear, its just not as noticeable. dont expect polishing as an answer to hood wear, just a better looking hood wear. I imagine you would have to take allot steel off the barrel hood in order to make the hood smoothly clear the slide without wear, and at that point you probably would compromise the function of the gun

If anyone knows of a way to avoid hood wear all together I'd like to know

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.