SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be polishing my SP2022's barrel and will be purchasing a Bedair Stainless Steel guide rod, and I was also wondering if I can polish the slide lock? I've done polishing before on a couple of other things (Boker Kalashnikov) and thought it'd look neat on the pistol.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I polished just the back end of the barrel where it is exposed in the slide. Mostly because the black coloring was wearing off. I'll be curious to see how yours turns out as I was thinking of polishing the whole barrel also. Post pics when done please.

·
Registered
35,863 Posts
Do the polishing carefully as there have been others that went to far and had hood clearance issues. It is a close fit. I would never recommend polishing the barrel itself because it is not that visible and can be screwed up.
The nitron wear and smileys just show it's a working Sig. We pretty much all have them. Smileys are a Sig badge of honor.

Also that back end area is the hood.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I polished the barrel hood on my Tacops for the same reason. Also added the stainless guiderod and stainless hex head grip screws. The controls on my Tacops are carbon steel not stainless so I noticed some surface rust forming after a recent camping trip. I'd recommend buying the nickle plated slide lock just in case the 2022's controls are carbon steel as well. I polished all the controls on my Springfield XDm 45 a while back and it came out good.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
To answer your original question, the slide lock should not cause any issues if polished. I believe there are ones available in stainless and nickel plate as well if you didn't feel like doing it yourself (some of the attempts to, "polish" barrel hoods have not ended up looking so hot on the used pistols I have). If you have experience getting the finish right though, why not?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I wouldn't polish the slide stop on a SP2022 unless you've seen one already done since its a MIM part. Sometimes a MIM part is not consistent in color through the entire part.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
If I could figure out how to upload pics from this damn new phone I would post some of my Tacops and my Springfield that I've done polish work to.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Gustav, try cropping the pics to make the file size smaller. The newfangled phones have better cameras so the file size is probably where you're running into trouble. Took me quite a while to figure that one out because the size limits they post here are actually higher than what they'll allow to from a local source.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Gustav, try cropping the pics to make the file size smaller. The newfangled phones have better cameras so the file size is probably where you're running into trouble. Took me quite a while to figure that one out because the size limits they post here are actually higher than what they'll allow to from a local source.
I'll see what I can figure our on it. I just picked up this Galaxy S4 about a week ago and I'm still figuring out all the bells and whistles on it. My Blackberry was alot more user friendly.:D

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
I'll see what I can figure our on it. I just picked up this Galaxy S4 about a week ago and I'm still figuring out all the bells and whistles on it. My Blackberry was alot more user friendly.:D
Tapatalk 2 does wonders! I have it on my S3. I've had it a while now so I'm not positive, but I think it is free (or really cheap!).

sent from my rotary dial phone using tapatalk2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good gravy man all this polishing and what all, I believe you've got way too much time on your hands. I like my guns black, flat black preferably. easy to conceal, hard to see.Aint no piece of jewelry you're wearing. And on the business end no time to admire that fancy polish job you did on the barrell cause fires gonna be belchin out that rascal.Just my .2cents

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Good gravy man all this polishing and what all, I believe you've got way too much time on your hands. I like my guns black, flat black preferably. easy to conceal, hard to see.Aint no piece of jewelry you're wearing. And on the business end no time to admire that fancy polish job you did on the barrell cause fires gonna be belchin out that rascal.Just my .2cents
Cause sometimes it looks damned good when the holster wear is removed and the hood is nice and shiny. uploadfromtaptalk1368804224636.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1368804243123.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sigma & lgustavus81, those look great.

It only took me about 15 minutes to polish the hood on my barrel using Meguiars "Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish" (which is safe for all metals). Using only a microfiber towel, I was able to remove the black coating and get a pretty good polish. It needs another go-over to get it really shiny, but for the initial 15 minutes it took, I'm pretty happy. I'll do the rest of the barrel this way now that I've seen yours. I like the look of the end of the barrel w/ the Bedair guide rod (which I already have installed).

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Sigma & lgustavus81, those look great.

It only took me about 15 minutes to polish the hood on my barrel using Meguiars "Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish" (which is safe for all metals). Using only a microfiber towel, I was able to remove the black coating and get a pretty good polish. It needs another go-over to get it really shiny, but for the initial 15 minutes it took, I'm pretty happy. I'll do the rest of the barrel this way now that I've seen yours. I like the look of the end of the barrel w/ the Bedair guide rod (which I already have installed).
I have a Rhynotek ss guiderod installed in my Tacops. The contrast looks good against the black. I also added some ss hex head grip screws and slowly but surely will be coverting all my controls over to ss or nickle plated. The issue I had polishing my hood was under the black coating there seemed to be an excessive amount of tooling marks which I had to gently take down with a diamond hone to achieve a uniform polish.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts