SIG Talk banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
The times I've looked at used LE guns they seemed to be pretty beat up. Was surprised since I was under the impression most LEO's didn't spend all that much time at the range and that the guns were well maintained. So while I expected cosmetic wear, didn't expect to see them looking so thoroughly beat up.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
The times I've looked at used LE guns they seemed to be pretty beat up. Was surprised since I was under the impression most LEO's didn't spend all that much time at the range and that the guns were well maintained. So while I expected cosmetic wear, didn't expect to see them looking so thoroughly beat up.
That sounds like LE range guns.

They don’t get shot a lot but they also don’t get handled with the most care.

My Model 64 is like new inside but had lots of dings and scratches when I got it. Fortunately, SS is easy to clean up so I rubbed out the worst of it.

Blue and black guns aren’t quite so easy.

·
🎖USAF Retired
3,733 Posts
I got this P226 40SW as a police sale pistol it wasn’t a trade in as much as it was just them selling out. I got it for $349. Since it was so low in price I decided to use it to learn Sig Gun smithing on. One main thing I learned was not to go all blue on the cerakote.. DOH. I did learn how to completely disassemble and reassemble a Sig, so it was well worth it for that. Sorry, no before pictures.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

This is it today. It’s now my daughters, she is in the Navy.
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
🎖USA Veteran
2,990 Posts
I am rather blessed and live approximately 50 miles from a major LE Distributor. They list on GunBroker, and I save on shipping cost and FFL cost. I can also go by and take a look at anything interesting. Many of the gun are not former LE firearms but rather firearms confiscated or taken in for other reasons.

·
Registered
404 Posts
All the police guns that I have are beat up cosmetically, internals are fine, got a G19 Gen 2 that the slide and barrel had strange stains and Glock rebuild it for me!

·
Super Moderator
P365/P365XL
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
What sites do you normally find these trade-ins?
For me it's a 'somewhat' LGS (I say somewhat because it's about an hour and a half away but worth the trip sometimes). They post their sales and deals like police trade-ins which they get quite often.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am sure there are some out there. However, the Pythons were pricier than the Police Positives and most LE agencies almost always go with the cheaper price. I would love to get my hands on another 1 or 2 Pythons from the 60s/70s. Unfortunately, they are cheap.
Back in rthe early and mid 70's the Pythons were going for mid to upper 200's. The more common S&W and Colt Troopers were half that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I really enjoy getting a good deal on a pistol in a buy or a trade.... So how about you guys? What police trade-in pistols have you picked up?
SIG P229. Love it. No holster wear and the gun appears to have been shot very little. I picked it up a few years ago for less than $400.

I'm not going to say this will be the case all the time, but for me it seems that police trades usually have very limited use on them... maybe once per year for qualifying? Other than that, I've never saw one with other than minor holster wear, if even that. Usually, the barrels are in almost new shape.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been very happy with the used police trade-in Glock 21 .45 I bought 3-4 months ago. Less than $400 before shipping and tax. It is my most positive Glock experience so far (much better than the G19 I have.)

The three 13 round mags that came with the pistol all function 100%. Although a Generation 4 Glock 21 I have to assume it is over ten years old as the factory night sights do not glow anymore.

·
Super Moderator
P365/P365XL
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have been very happy with the used police trade-in Glock 21 .45 I bought 3-4 months ago. Less than $400 before shipping and tax. It is my most positive Glock experience so far (much better than the G19 I have.)

The three 13 round mags that came with the pistol all function 100%. Although a Generation 4 Glock 21 I have to assume it is over ten years old as the factory night sights do not glow anymore.
Same with my Gen 3 G21 I picked up last month. Mine was produced in 2006 and the sights were about done. I replaced them with Truglo sites of Amazon for only $48. Very bright and very happy with them. One thing about Glock, the sights are easy to replace.

·
Registered
623 Posts
LEO dealers who bid contracts will then sell the turn ins. Some will also list on auction sites albeit currently is becoming less attractive.

I picked up a 4566 TSW for $480, a stainless 3Gen Smith with MIM trigger and rail in .45ACP, a former LEO gun out of Texas. This was at the time the CMP was hinting they would sell 1911's and it was already known they would retail them thru a lottery at market price. No discounts or preferences to retired vets only, which was the consensus should be done at the time. Since I wasn't going to pay $1,100 for a CMP pistol, meh.

Smith is the gun which got auto pistols in the hands of LEO's first, making the change from revolvers. They still offer the 3d Generation for contracts and rarely a new overrun will pop up at an authorized distributor. Used guns surface at the contract vendors who still get a batch in now and again, usually 9mm's in cosmetically challenged condition. They were going for $350-400 two years ago, this current market who knows. If it's stainless, tho, it can clean up remarkably.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
When you call Sig and run the serial number from LEO trade in do they give you any agency info?

·
🎖USA Veteran
59 Posts
I got this P226 40SW as a police sale pistol it wasn’t a trade in as much as it was just them selling out. I got it for $349. Since it was so low in price I decided to use it to learn Sig Gun smithing on. One main thing I learned was not to go all blue on the cerakote.. DOH. I did learn how to completely disassemble and reassemble a Sig, so it was well worth it for that. Sorry, no before pictures.
View attachment 426356

This is it today. It’s now my daughters, she is in the Navy.
View attachment 426357
I've seen that posted before. Absolutely beautiful. I have a le trade 226 in that this will be the inspiration for in od green if I can find the right grips.

·
Super Moderator
P365/P365XL
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Finally got the chance to go to the range this afternoon with my son.

Glock 21.3

Brought me back to the days when I carried one of these on duty. This is the police trade-in that I picked up for $399 and felt it was a good deal. I put on new night sights that I'm very satisfied with. Accuracy was fine with both 230g FMJ and 230g HST +P. The HST +P definitely shot with some authority but noting unpleasant. Shot out to 20 yards (max distance at this particular indoor range) which would be the distance from my front door to my sliding glass door at the rear of the house. All shots were solid COM hits so this would make a good HD pistol. It would also make a good night stand or woods carry pistol as well. Haven't fully decided on it's role.

Zero malfunctions.

Glock 35.4

Also bought as a police trade-in pistol. New night sights as well were installed at the same time as the G21 and again, very satisfied with them. Started off with the SS 9mm conversion barrel I picked up. This is suppose to be a Lone Wolf production overrun that is pre-logo. Shot very nice, no malfunctions. Very accurate, again out to 20 yards. Very manageable recoil and overall very pleasant to shoot. Even more so that the G21. I prefer the grip texture on the Gen 4 & 5 Glocks over the Gen 3. I'd have no issue using this as a HD or night stand pistol with the 9mm conversion barrel.

With the stock 40S&W barrel it was overall fine. Had three issues with 180g Blazer Brass FMJ getting hung up on the feed ramp with the same mag. No issues at all with 165g Gold Dot and that definitely had some authority. I like 40S&W but I think overall I enjoyed it with the 9mm conversion barrel more.

So now that I've vetted them I'll need to decide what role I'd like them to fill.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts