SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An old friend, I've known him for 40yrs, is considering buying an LEO's service weapon directly form the Patrol Officer. I have been to various firearm sites that sell LEO weapons traded in and decommissioned. Also, some of the other LEO weapons have never been issued.

It is the LEO's daily carry and he has (the LEO) never considering decommissioning the weapon my friend has been told. My old friend collects law enforcement memorabilia and is really excited to get a real, commisioned, been-there-done that type police weapon.

It just sounds like a BAD idea to me! If my 57yr friend (been friends since he was 17yrs old) collector pal gets questioned at the range, gravel pit, police, etc. I have this dreadful feeling the weapon will be called in as a stolen police officers weapon. This could result in a very hard life for my friend.:eek::eek:

Do LEO's decommission firearms, then sell them as the real weapons they carried every day?? If LEO get's rid/lost of thier assigned weapons, what happens when the firearm comes up missing? Will my good intention, avid collector go to jail? Nothing against the police, but is this cop trying to capitalize on a service weapon used before he get's a new department weapon issued to him?

This is not a jab at Police Officers, this just some dearly needed info before a serious problem potentially exists.

Thank you to all in the know! Left hook.:huh:

P.S.- Yes it is a Sig.

馃帠USA Veteran
i've purchased several l e returned firearms from vendors & from the leo himself & am not familiar with the term, "de-commissioned", unless it's required in your state.

welcome from az

馃帠USA Veteran
I have a lot of former LEO weapons. They were not purchased by me as a collector of police firearms but rather due to the price and guns I simply wanted. They were all transferred to me after a legal purchase and a background check. I have receipts for all of them and there is no fear on my part of the legality. I also know which agency most of them came from since the seller revealed their trade-in agency.

Some police forces even require their employees to purchase their own weapons.

Registered
I believe it depends on your particular state's law regarding private sales of used handguns between individuals.

Here in Missouri, for example, all that's needed between two residents is an agreement to buy/sell and a "Bill of Sale" that shows the Seller's and Buyer's names, addresses, the S/N of the gun and the selling price. No FFLs required.

But that's Missouri. I'd Google to try to find out your state's laws.

Registered
An old friend, I've known him for 40yrs, is considering buying an LEO's service weapon directly form the Patrol Officer. I have been to various firearm sites that sell LEO weapons traded in and decommissioned. Also, some of the other LEO weapons have never been issued.

It is the LEO's daily carry and he has (the LEO) never considering decommissioning the weapon my friend has been told. My old friend collects law enforcement memorabilia and is really excited to get a real, commisioned, been-there-done that type police weapon.

It just sounds like a BAD idea to me! If my 57yr friend (been friends since he was 17yrs old) collector pal gets questioned at the range, gravel pit, police, etc. I have this dreadful feeling the weapon will be called in as a stolen police officers weapon. This could result in a very hard life for my friend.:eek::eek:

Do LEO's decommission firearms, then sell them as the real weapons they carried every day?? If LEO get's rid/lost of thier assigned weapons, what happens when the firearm comes up missing? Will my good intention, avid collector go to jail? Nothing against the police, but is this cop trying to capitalize on a service weapon used before he get's a new department weapon issued to him?

This is not a jab at Police Officers, this just some dearly needed info before a serious problem potentially exists.

Thank you to all in the know! Left hook.:huh:

P.S.- Yes it is a Sig.
The LEO wouldn't be selling his weapon if it weren't legal. Few things would be more moronic than selling a weapon that is currently issued to you...they keep track of who has what. Many departments have allowed officers to purchase their duty weapons anytime the department changes issue pistol. For instance a couple years ago we switched from the Glock 22 to the Glock 17. I was given the opportunity to buy the Glock 22 I'd carried for many years. Had I bought it, it would have been my property, to do with as I pleased, including selling.

Also keep in mind that many agencies allow officers to purchase their own duty weapons. I have a number of friends in local agencies who bought their own pistols. They could all of course sell them if they wished. In short, there are several ways this officer could be selling a duty weapon, and they are not mysterious or sinister. ;)

Registered
Most of the police departments, that I know of, in Texas issue pistols to officers and they are not allowed to carry personal weapons.

I bought two, P226-40 LEO trade-ins this year from a LGS. Both were in great shape, they are great shooters and I paid $399 & $419 for them. Receipts for both.

I assume the officer in this case is selling his personal firearm.

With a bill of sale I wouldn't have a problem with buying from a LEO.

Registered
I'm not quite clear what you mean by decommissioned, but I was in LE most of my adult life. Some departments issue weapons and on occasion allow officers to purchase them, retirement, dept. going to new type of weapons, etc. I have had the opportunity to purchase service weapons from my police department on more than one occasion and and do in fact have one. The department has records that I bought it. I can now do whatever I want with it. I have also carried my personally owned weapons. A couple of those have been legally sold or traded. None of those have been entered into NCIC as stolen. Nobody currently in legal possession is going to get in trouble if a LEO "runs" the firearm in NCIC. Just not an issue. I have never heard of an officer selling a weapon owned by the dept. That would be career over and prosecution for a felony. Believe me, we all fully understand we are responsible for any weapons we use, dept issued or personally owned......

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

It must be the Officer's personal firearm he carries. If not, I assume any info, serial number, etcetera has been wiped from all, or will be wiped from all police data banks just before the weapon is sold.

I didn't think the officer would sell it illegally, I just thought the potential to be caught up in some nightmare of paper work and explaining the facts could create a situation best avoided. Some times things don't go quite as simple as a civilian would assume.

Thanks, Lefthook.

Premium Member
My department had issued sidearms but I carried my own from 1992 until I retired in 2011. My only concern would be how that officer took care of his firearm, believe me, not all officers care for their sidearms the same way, nor do some departments check beyond basic cleanliness if at all. If it's a Sig you can always send it for a Service Package.

Registered
If there's ever any question in your mind regarding the legitimacy of a gun in a face to face purchase, one could always ask the local LE agency to run the serial number beforehand. Though, if it were me, if I felt antsy about the seller, I'd probably not be doing business with them in the first place.

70's, Oakland made us buy our own guns. I liked Colt, so bought a Python. No way would I ever sell that gun. Sentimental, I guess. No way would I ever again carry that gun, Signess, I guess.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all! My personal curator of all things law enforcement friend, will put the weapon as well as all police equipment he has gathered over fourty years in his personal mini-museum. I was a little sad to hear he wouldn't run the service weapon through it's paces.

He is an avid collector. He has a non-descript home shop devoted to the history of law enforcement in all US Cities, Counties, State and Federal capacities. I have a tendency to worry about friends, this is no exception.

His museum is as sfe as can be, bars on doors, windows and alarms, multiple alarms, set where people would never understand. He has a live in security guard and my buddy keeps his mouth shut!

Thanks for the heads up! Once his mini-museum gives me the A-OK, I'd love to post a pic.

Thanks again, Lefthook!

Registered
haldir, once recovered they are removed from NCIC and will not set off alarm bells as stolen if they are run afterwards.

lefthook, like to see photos of the mini-museum if/when you get permission. My old department has a museum staffed by retired officer volunteers. Pretty neat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.