SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EDC is an M11-A1 and while I've had no serious issues concealing it, with the warm weather sometimes I have to dress ways that I don't want so I am looking at three possible candidates for my next purchase: the P239, P224, and P290RS. I am not real concerned about price so this will not enter into my decision.

The P239 and P224 do not seem a whole lot smaller than the M11-A1. For me the length of the grip is more of a concealment issue than the width so I would probably lean more towards the P224 plus the 4 extra rounds and the ability to use M11-A1 mags would be a nice bonus. That being said the nearly same thickness of the P224 to the M11-A1 could present issues too if I decide to use a carry position other than my customary 4:00 and for a deep concealment gun I'm not very concerned about round count.

I like the dimensions of the P290RS. What I don't like about on face value are: 1) the DAO trigger, 2) the polymer frame.

What would be really cool was if SIG made an all-metal, single-stack, short-gripped sub-compact with a DA/SA trigger-kind of like combining the smaller dimensions of the P224 and P239 into one gun or put a metal frame and a DA/SA trigger into the P290.

I could live with the polymer frame but I wonder if it is even possible to put a standard SIG DA/SA trigger into the P290 with its small dimensions.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I once raised the question of the 290s with a striker fire mechanism. I do have and carry at times a 320sc, a 239 as well as a 232. Love them all!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I once raised the question of the 290s with a striker fire mechanism. I do have and carry at times a 320sc, a 239 as well as a 232. Love them all!
Well they probably can't please everyone. For you though they do have the P320SC which is the same width as the P290 while holding 12 rounds but for some reason is .2" taller than the P224. I am not a fan of striker-fired guns but there is the P250SC with the same dimensions as the P320SC so maybe that is where I should look.

The P250SC is an inexpensive gun too although like I said I wouldn't mind paying more for a metal frame and a DA/SA trigger.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
FWIW, I owned & carried a 224 for awhile. It was too fat for me to conceal, especially in warm weather clothes. I thought very much along the same lines as you mention. I eventually sold the 224 in favor of a 290RS. The trigger is good on it. I shoot it better than the 224. It's incredibly light (a huge advantage of polymer) & I couldn't be happier with my decision. I can carry my 290RS wearing pretty much anything. Where I live, it's 100+ degrees throughout the summer. Brutally hot. I carry that little bugger wearing only a tank top, shorts & flip-flops all the time. It's just a fantastic carry piece, or BUG. I like the 239 too, but it's a lot bigger than the 290RS. I can't speak for anyone else, but the 290RS is about the perfect carry weapon for me

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at specs it seems SIG does make some double-stacks that are only 1.1" wide so where does the P224's extra .2" come from? Unfortunately none of the P224 models seem to have a 360 viewer. If it is only the de-cocker or thumb bulge I can probably live with that. From the 360 viewer though it does look like the P290 gets nicely thinner as the grip gets lower which even the P239 does not do.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I rented a 290 at the range the other day. I didn't like the trigger -- especially the trigger reset. I used to carry a Kahr PM9. However, after getting several classic Sigs with short reset triggers I couldn't stand the reset on the Kahr and sold it. The 290's reset was just as long as the Kahr. I like the idea of a DA/SA pocket pistol though. If Sig built one I'd buy one.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW, I owned & carried a 224 for awhile. It was too fat for me to conceal, especially in warm weather clothes. I thought very much along the same lines as you mention. I eventually sold the 224 in favor of a 290RS. The trigger is good on it. I shoot it better than the 224. It's incredibly light (a huge advantage of polymer) & I couldn't be happier with my decision. I can carry my 290RS wearing pretty much anything. Where I live, it's 100+ degrees throughout the summer. Brutally hot. I carry that little bugger wearing only a tank top, shorts & flip-flops all the time. It's just a fantastic carry piece, or BUG. I like the 239 too, but it's a lot bigger than the 290RS. I can't speak for anyone else, but the 290RS is about the perfect carry weapon for me
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking for a minimal clothes gun-shorts and tank or t-shirt. Once it gets cool I can wear a long t-shirt or outer sweatshirt/jacket that will easily hide the M11-A1.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I rented a 290 at the range the other day. I didn't like the trigger -- especially the trigger reset. I used to carry a Kahr PM9. However, after getting several classic Sigs with short reset triggers I couldn't stand the reset on the Kahr and sold it. The 290's reset was just as long as the Kahr. I like the idea of a DA/SA pocket pistol though. If Sig built one I'd buy one.
Part of my problem is that I haven't found a range to rent me a P290 or a P224. I wonder how much of a loss I would take on one of them if I bought it, put 200 rounds through it, and sold it. Might be worth it. Might be close to what I would pay in rental fees, range time, and range ammo.

Typical: $10 rental fee+$20 range fee (I can shoot my own guns at my club for free)+$12*4 extra ammo cost (buying range ammo required for rentals vs what I but at Wally World)=$78-$20 transfer fee=$58. Even if I lose $100 more than that on selling it it might be worth the risk.

Or I might just end up with a bunch of SIGs. Not really a bad option there . . .

·
Registered
165 Posts
I usually carry my 938 either in a pocket or OWB in the summer. However, my 938 is acting up lately. While it is getting worked on I find I can hide my 1911 ultra under a carhart t shirt if I use an IWB holster. Have you tried an IWB holster with your M11?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I usually carry my 938 either in a pocket or OWB in the summer. However, my 938 is acting up lately. While it is getting worked on I find I can hide my 1911 ultra under a carhart t shirt if I use an IWB holster. Have you tried an IWB holster with your M11?
Yes. I always carry it IWB at 4:00. I usually (weather permitting) just wear a long t-shirt over it. This works fine as long as I don't bend down in which case I find myself having to grab and adjust my shirt every time I do it as it seems to catch in the grip, usually not exposing the gun but definitely lumping up the shirt so someone with a keen eye might suspect something. I am also a little wary of the shirt (or even jacket) riding up while on my motorcycle although if I am wearing a jack I usually have a long sweatshirt on the hangs long on my butt.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The 224 is really just a 229 or M11A1 with a shorter barrel and grip. Some don't like the short grip but I can shoot my 224 just as well as my M11. I can't hide the 224 under a t shirt with an OWB holster and it is too big and heavy for pocket carry. However, I haven't tried it yet in an IWB holster.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sigmund, where are you located?
Downstate NY.

BTW the P224 controls are basically flush to the body. They're shrunken down controls in comparison to the classic P series pistols. Almost to the point were I'd prefer to extend them.
Maybe that is why the width is less than the P229/P226. Controls protrusion doesn't bother me much since it will be buried in leather and facing into the body.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking for a minimal clothes gun-shorts and tank or t-shirt. Once it gets cool I can wear a long t-shirt or outer sweatshirt/jacket that will easily hide the M11-A1.
I think people usually really like DAO, or really don't. There's no middle ground. I shot wheel guns before I ever owned a SIG, so DAO is comfortable to me. I like & have owned several DA/SA SIGs, but DAO is nice. I carry that 290 at least 80% of the time, but I also have a 250C that I tote when it's colder & I'm wearing sweatshirts or jackets. If I could get them in CA, I probably would've gotten a 938. Those are just expensive here because they're off-roster. They're hard to find for less than $1k. No way I'm paying a rack for a 938. 290s are off-roster too, but I got mine NIB for $500. For what you want, something to carry with summer clothes on, either a 290, a 938, or maybe a Beretta Nano, or Ruger LC9 are probably going to be the best bets. There's also a single stack 9mm that just came out that shall go unnamed. Those would be easy to carry in shorts & a t-shirt. I hated polymer before I tried the 250 & 290. Getting a SIG for $500 is sweet & the lighter weight is very nice when you're carrying it all day, every day. Don't discount the plastic fantastic until you've tried it

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
How about an FNS-9 Compact. Although, I don't carry striker fired pistols, some would like it. The P224 is a heavy pistol, just as heavy as a P226, not something I want to haul around when it's 110 here in Arizona. I prefer a P220 Compact or P239-9.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Perhaps a 225 or 239 sc? Not sure how that would work, but I guess it is doable, although I think the 225 would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Have you ever had someone with a good IWB holster and a P239 let you wear one for a day?

Getting opinions on how something might work for you - or forming an opinion against something you haven't tried - is never going to give you the real answer you want.

I'm 5'9" and 152lbs. I carry a P229 in a VM-2 normally, and have been carrying a P239 in a VM-2 lately. The P239 is just enough thinner that it just disappears under a thin shirt.

Reactions: PCHS4
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.