SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

"Pocket" pistol ideas?

4K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  JBP239 
#1 ·
So, summer is right around the corner and I am toying with the idea of something small and light weight to carry when I am in cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Maybe to literally pocket carry but possibly would appendix carry as well.

To keep this on topic, let's not discuss the pros or cons of pocket carry, smaller calibers, or round capacity. I'm just looking for some ideas that will fit the following criteria.

Small enough that it could go into a pocket if necessary.

No more than about $500.

Light weight so as not to pull my shorts down.

I already have some ideas but will wait and see what you guys think before I tell you what I'm leaning towards.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I can't get a P238/938 in my area for $500 or less.

I've had several j-frames over the years and they definitely fit the bill but not sure I want another one right now.

One on my short list right now is the LCR. I've had three of them, two 38's and one in 357. My main complaint was the sticky Hogue grips. Great for shooting but they always seemed to cling to my shirt or the inside of a pocket and that bothered me. I see they are offering G10 grips for the LCR now so I may try another one. This time in 327 Federal Magnum. I really like the idea of a six shot revolver roughly the size of the j-frame.

#5 ·
Thanks. I hadn't really considered a derringer. Not sure about only having two shots but I suppose it's a step up from a pointed stick or a rock. I would probably have to find someone that has one that I could try out to see if I could even hit anything with it.

#7 ·
I pocket carry a LCR 9mm but I changed the grip to the Hogue Boot Grip with no finger grooves. It hides much better and the few times I go OWB printing is non existent.

Peter

#9 · (Edited)
Have you considered the sig 290 rs. It is easy to pocket carry. It should be less then your ceiling price. The only thing that I would advise is be sure you like the trigger. If you like shooting double action with a revolver then you should like the 290. It is a long trigger pull and can only be fired double action. I have one in 9mm.

#10 ·
I don't carry it as my EDC but when I walk my dog in my neighborhood I drop a Ruger LCP Gen 2 in my pocket. It's in a Remora holster and I hardly know it's there since it's so light. I also own the LCP II but I haven't found a holster I feel comfortably enough with to carry it yet. You can pic up the Gen 2 for around $200.00 and the II for around $279.00.

#14 · (Edited)
I live in Arizona and it gets HOT in the summer, so shorts and t-shirt are about all I wear. I have several guns that I can carry, but honestly my "always" gun is a "NAA PUG" in 22mag with "Critical Defense" rounds in it. I know some discount 22mag as a defense round, but its much better than my 9mm that is sitting at home on the counter!

Anyway, I've been carrying the NAA PUG for years. Very safe to carry, using a pocket holster and the hammer in its "safety notch" Weighs only 6.4 oz.

I know its not for everyone, but just another suggestion. Here is a picture that shows the PUG (top Right) and the NAA Black Widow (top left). Black Widow is another good choice, same gun with longer barrel.

#15 · (Edited)
Take a look at the Glock 42 .380 caliber. It weighs about 14 oz. and is about $ 413 in my area. I've had one for about 18 months. and have carried it in my jeans front pocket with a DeSantis pocket holster. It also would be great for IWB carry.

I added Pearce +1 extended magazines which really improves the grip. And it shoots great! I have several Glocks, a Sig P238, and S & W revolver. The Glock 42 is my favorite of them all!

#16 ·
I had actually considered one of the NAA revolvers in 22 mag. I actually kind of liked the one with the folding grip with the pocket clip. Having the hammer down in the safety notch between cylinders would be very comforting from a safety standpoint. I actually had one of the 22LR versions many years ago that I used to pocket carry. Just never really liked to trust the ignition of a rim fire round and ended up selling it so have been on the fence about the 22 mag for the same reason.

#20 ·
I completely understand that some have second thoughts about rimfire for carry. Like I said it may not be for everyone, I've never had a problem with it.

I also carry a LCP it at times & it's even more than I want to carry at times.

Good luck with your search, be sure to let us know what you end up with. :thumbsu:

#19 ·
I would consider a Glock 42, or a Kel-Tec .380. Although the Kel-Tec hurts like hell to shoot, it would serve the purpose well, I think. Of course the little S&W Bodyguard isn't bad, and the little Ruger LCP II is a nice little pocket gun. I know it's outside the budge range, but a Seacamp .380 would be perfect. I occasionally see them around the $500 mark, but not often. Of course, as mentioned, Kahr offers a number of options.

Reactions: Big Cape and stlmia
#26 ·
I would consider a Glock 42, or a Kel-Tec .380.
I'd have a hard time recommending the Kel-Tec. I have two - both have failed multiple times and been back to Kel-tec. One lives in my safe here in Clovis, the other in the safe in Tucson.

I now carry a Taurus TCP that has seen *a lot* of rounds for a pocket .380 [guessing 1500 or so over the years I've carried it] This little gun has never had a single fail to feed, fail to eject, fail to fire.

The TCP is now a hen's tooth. However, though I can't recommend one, the new Spectrum has real promise as a deep carry gun. Worth a look IMO.

Reactions: GCBHM
#21 ·
ray1970 You need to try to get some trigger time so you see how slow a pistol like a derringer and a NAA can be to get on target and fire a second time is . Then compare that tow some micro 380's and the cm9 kahr that fits in your budget .

You could use a inside the pants holster like Three speed / thunder wear and there one more brand if your body type works with this type rig a 3.5" barreled pistol might be a better option .

Bottom line its your problem to find what works best for you.

We have a couple 380's around the family - bersa 380 CC and TCP 380's in the family that run great and have been reliable for 5 years and I have a cm9 but kahr also has a ct380 that works very well and there many others that work well for owners too . Check out link below . A bit out of date but will help -
http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

#28 · (Edited)
I vote the G42. I bought it as a BUG primarily, but carry it solo on occasion. Nice, soft shooter, and easily shot single-handed.

Also, like GCBHM, I agree that the Kel Tec is not fun to shoot, even the PF9.

I see some recommendations for the P290. Although I kinda like the 290, I think its just too thick for what you're seeking.

#32 ·
I pocket carry my S&W 340 J-Frame when I commute back and forth to work. It's more than $500, but I'm sure Smith makes a less expensive model. Although I truly pocket carry, I don't worry about dust or lint. If for some reason the chambered round doesn't go off - just pull the trigger again.

#33 ·
My first small pocket pistol was a Key-Tec P3AT .380 16 years ago. A month or so later I bought a Kel-Tec PF-9. Then Ruger came out with the LCP I have two.
Then I broke down and bought a Sig P-238 Equinox. I carried the P-238 over 10 years in a Remora. In my opinion the P-238 is the best of what I have listed above. Yes it's worth the extra money, and a pleasure to shoot. I'm sure that you can find a used one in your price range. Or save your money till you have enough to get a new one. I love that gun.
About five years ago Kimber came out with the Solo, I had to get one, it took almost two years to get. I bought the Solo CDP-LG. I sent that back three times with problems. Kimber finally said they could not fix it and sent me a new one. The new one has been flawless.
Two years ago I moved up and got a 938 Equinox Have been carrying it in a Remora also.
This year at Shot Show I saw the new Kimber Micro9 in desert tan with Crimson Trace laser grips, I ordered it. (it was a Shot Show special) MSRP at $790. and I paid just under $600. it's my new carry gun. Yes I have a large safe.
My thoughts if money is tight save till you can get a P238 or 938 they are the best for the money. My 238 never had a problem I still carry it on occasion and would be one of the last I would part with if I had to

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.