SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have lived through past "bans" and other restrictions what generally happens to the value of the banned/affected item? Will the value go up along with the increased cost of owning, or go down because few people want to deal with the item and possible restrictions?

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
For those who have lived through past "bans" and other restrictions what generally happens to the value of the banned/affected item? Will the value go up along with the increased cost of owning, or go down because few people want to deal with the item and possible restrictions?
I believe that some people will comply,some will not, and some will want even more. The value always goes up after a ban. Hopefully SCOTUS will get it right 🙏

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Well, if they’re banned and the existing aren’t grandfathered, then what’s the point? If someone was to not comply, I would wager they would not comply with an actual stock instead of the half-measure that a pistol brace is.
Exactly. The popularity of pistol braces really only took off as a way to get around stupid ATF dictates to begin with.

·
🎖USAF Veteran Premium Member
P226 Legion LE, P229 Legion LE, P229, P220, P224, P320 X-Vtac, P320 X-Carry Pro, CZ TSO, CZ SP-01
1,195 Posts
The only way the price would go up is if they do a pre-ban manufacturing date kind of thing and grandfather everything that was made pre-ban. I highly doubt that will be the case with pistol braces because it's not easy, if even possible, to show when it was manufactured and there are tens of millions of them out there.

The more likely scenario is they become almost worthless. Who wants a pistol brace when you have to go through the same process to get an actual stock? If I have to do it anyway, I'd rather have the stock.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I concur with most of what has been said above. Even if a thing is grandfathered (like a pre-1994-AWB rifle) once it's legal again (as happened when the AWB expired in 2004) it loses its collectible value. However, there ARE some items that would be considered valuable, assuming they can be re-sold, such as the pre-1989 rifles like the Austrian AUG and the German HK94, for example....but that's because of their rarity.

As for braces, forget it. Once the regulation goes into place, you might as well chuck it in the trash can. I've done three Form 1's to SBR mine and I've put REAL stocks on the ones that have been approved so far.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mostly agree but my SBA4s would not be completely worthless, as they could then be padded for shouldering like any other stock, and could then be used on any future rifle builds (just no longer on pistols). Someone will, hopefully, develop an insert to make them into a useable true stock. Wishful thinking, right?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I have a NFA trust with a number of SBR's. I do also have a CZ Scorpion micro that I didn't want to SBR for very specific reasons, the least of which is a $200 tax stamp.

The beauty of a braced pistol is the portability of it. I can easily transport in a relatively small case when traveling on road trips. Because it's a pistol I can legally carry concealed as I travel through states where my LTC is valid.

Once converted (Form 1) to an SBR, it has lost it's handgun status, and while I can put a stock on it, I can't 'easily' travel outside my home state where it's been registered to reside.

In the end, if my configuration fails their rigged point system, I'll just remove the brace and leave it a pistol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think @MultiSync has it right. They've published the point system, and I suspect they'll use it as an add-on when prosecuting for other or related crimes. How ironic that it will be mostly true criminals who will get caught, and tragic that an otherwise law-abiding brace owner might get swept up in it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It's interesting that with all the talk here about the value of pistol braces, just look at the adds for Black Friday sales. They're full of all sorts of pistol braces for sale.

Part of that is because stores have them in inventory so they are selling them, but I imagine that a lot of people are still buying them because they think the pistol brace ruling will be found to be unconstitutional after the legal dust settles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts