SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LGS had one I'm picking up this week - total impulse buy. .40 s&w with thumb safety and decocker. I'm sure I overpaid at $599 but it felt really good in my hand, trigger was crisp and function checked nicely. I really like how the safety worked though would have preferred it functioned as a decocker as well instead of the decocker being by the hammer.

Looks in good shape but I need to get it home a cleaned up, then head to the range.

Other than shooting this or a similar model years ago, I have no experience with the brand or model. What should I expect and maybe change out?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
I have a P30. I put Heine sights on it, and wish there was a decent trigger available. I find the striker-fired version (VP9 I think) has the trigger I would like but have been told it is incompatible with the P30. Don't know absolutely that that's true. Otherwise, nice gun.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
9,130 Posts
I had a P30 several years ago. Great ergonomics.

Reactions: Poppastar

·
Registered
783 Posts
You bought a superb HK. The P30 in both 9 and 40 are accurate and reliable. They're built to last a very long time without parts breaking or malfunctioning. Parts are abundant. Be mindful that unlike Sigs, the recoil spring assembly is a captive assembly unit and costs about $50. The upside is that they'll last up to 25,000 rounds. Avoid steel and aluminum casings. And be sure to clean and lube your gun before your first range session. If the gun is stiff when you rack it, lock back the slide the night before you shoot it. Like the Sig P226 and P229, there are aftermarket .357sig conversion drop-in barrels for the P30, so you can have two guns (check out the RCM website).

·
Premium Member
10,455 Posts
Good gun.

Reactions: Poppastar

·
Registered
944 Posts
Anything Hk will be a great weapon. They are solid, reliable and accurate. Can’t go wrong with a P30. I prefer the LEM V1. Sounds like you have a V3 with safety. Good shooter. After a few range trips you will also come to appreciate the decocker being where it is and love the paddle magazine release if you don’t already. I use my middle finger of my strong hand to operate it. Zero grip change when doing this. And I double what VincentO4 said too.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
HK should be great weapons. I have two USP(c)’s where the DA trigger pull is aweful gritty and IMO difficult to pull. Once in SA mode, they shoot great. Grey Guns (I believe it is) make an SRT for USP’s. Once my credit card recovers, I plan on falking to them to see if that trigger will work in a compact model.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I finally got the gun, took it home and cleaned it before heading to the range. I'm really pleased with the like new condition it's in.

She's a real nice shooter and I love that it's in .40. I suppose if I'm ever interested in 9mm I can get a conversion barrel.

Single action is nice and crisp (no short reset but see it can be added). Double action, though super smooth, is way too long for my taste. Which brings me to my question for those in the know: my research on the LEM trigger and how it functions leads me to believe it might be more desirable and I see it can be converted. Is it worth doing?

·
Registered
944 Posts
So is the mod worth doing....absolutely!! I’m a hard core LEM fan. I’ve only got 1 HK that’s a V3. I highly recommend the LEM to enhance the weapon. Is it a good change if it can be done. I think only the USP’s can be changed. On the p30 and p2000 series I think once a V3 always a V3. But not positive about that.
I’d say yes do it if possible. The V2 or light V1 LEM’s from the factory I've been very pleased with. I also shoot my 1 V3 extremely well. The SA is fantastic but dang that first DA pull is crazy long and hard!! Takes a bit of range time to train to use it. The light V1 LEM is my favorite and to me is simply great. Now with all of this said their might be some issues with the modification since yours has the safety and decocker too in V3. I highly suggest you go to HKpro site and ask those guys. I’m a member there too but I don’t make changes to my HK’s. Those guys do. They are super nice and extremely knowledgeable!! You will get the 100% correct answer there!!
Ok, I just looked it up. It is possible but HK does not condone this modification on the p30 series and the safety lever might be a slight issue. Look up info on the Hkpro site by toosixty. He’s got a great tutorial on it.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I have a P30 V3 in 9 but wanted a 40 when I bought it but couldnt find it. They are nice guns , did not know anyone made 357 barrels for them I may try to hunt one up. I do like 357 sig. That is what is in my P229 now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts