SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a new and shiny P227 yesterday after ordering it a few weeks ago, hoping to go to the range in the next week or so but in the meantime any users who have one want to share your experiences? I have a P226 MK25 and that was the gun that gave me the sig bug, I now have the MK25, a P938, a P239, and now the P227, (my first sig .45) I'm usually a 9mm just because the mk25 was one of my first real guns and I'll go to the grave with it! Any feedback would be great though! Thanks!

Ps sorry if he photo is wonky, took it on my phone

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
IMHO you bought the most accurate reliable out of the box pistol on the market. It will shoot all ammo very well from cheap range to duty ammo. You will find the recoil very manageable. If you got the E2 grips with it you should also find that the P227 is an extension of your arm. It is a go to war pistol. I have 1,800 rds thru mine with out a hick-up. My experience the accuracy has been scary good to all that have shoot it. If you have no problem with the price of 45ACP it will be your favorite go to pistol. Trust me you will never look back. What did you pay for your bad boy? I have had no problem at all with my 14rd bedside mag. You did good.:D;)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Out of the box, you should expect an extremely well made pistol with excellent accuracy and ergonomics that will serve you well for whatever use you plan to use your new firearm. Our state police here in Pa just switched over to the P227.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I picked her up for $868.14 cents, and she was factory new! I hope that wasn't over priced but I couldn't resist, I found 1000 rounds of magtech .45acp for $350 shipped and didn't think that was a bad price, I only have 100 rounds right now though because I didn't want to order 1000 rounds of ammo before shooting the pistol, I may pick up 100-200 from the local gun shop if they aren't too high. Thank you for the response Pat, it was exactly what I was hoping to hear, I'm chomping at the bit ready to go shoot now! Is your P227 bone stock or did you put an SRT on it?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I picked her up for $868.14 cents, and she was factory new! I hope that wasn't over priced but I couldn't resist, I found 1000 rounds of magtech .45acp for $350 shipped and didn't think that was a bad price, I only have 100 rounds right now though because I didn't want to order 1000 rounds of ammo before shooting the pistol, I may pick up 100-200 from the local gun shop if they aren't too high. Thank you for the response Pat, it was exactly what I was hoping to hear, I'm chomping at the bit ready to go shoot now! Is your P227 bone stock or did you put an SRT on it?
Braydenk, I lucked out BIG TIME. I ordered mine from palmetto state armory on New Years Eve, they had them on clearance for $699, paid $719 total shipped to my FFL. It is FDE and stock, no SRT. I didn't care for the FDE, but it has grown on me. Had to give the wife the old "last gun i will ever buy" crap. You will truly be impressed. I am 60yrs old and never claimed to be a great pistol shooter. I would almost consider armature competition with other old timers with this pistol, it is that accurate IMHO. I am totally impressed with the P227, as are other who have fired it My son can't wait to get this pistol.;)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
That's a great price on ammo. I would expect the P227 to become your favorite large caliber handgun. Extremely accurate with all ammo and really the only full size handgun anyone needs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
719$ is a great price, I would feel the same way about the FDE, I'm just not a fan, at a price like that though you learn to live with it, the accuracy is making me glad that I made a good choice, I'm a younger guy (24) my first pistol ever was a Springfield 1911 (.45acp) but after part with that to start a family I've been all Sigs in 9mm, hope going back to the .45 treats me nicely

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Your gonna need a good P227 holster like the one pictured below. I have a idea. PM sent.
Nice shooting Mystro I'll put together a range report after first outing!

Reactions: Big1

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
719$ is a great price, I would feel the same way about the FDE, I'm just not a fan, at a price like that though you learn to live with it, the accuracy is making me glad that I made a good choice, I'm a younger guy (24) my first pistol ever was a Springfield 1911 (.45acp) but after part with that to start a family I've been all Sigs in 9mm, hope going back to the .45 treats me nicely
I just remembered, the 227 was shooting left when i broke it in. about 2-3" at 10 yds and about 5" at 25 yrds, again for everyone that shoot it. I took it to my gunstore and he drifted the frt sight, what direction i don't remember. After the drift it was close enough for perfect for me, POA is POI. I can now hit a 10" steel gong a 70yrds, it is amazing. I spent 30yrs in law enforcement and have never been a top tier pistol shoot.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I found that a #8 front sight brought up the poi to where I like it at a sight picture #2.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Thought of a quick check of your mags are in order. Look at these two P227 10 round mags. If the magazine's follower doesn't go all the way up almost flush to the top of the lip, you may have the slide NOT lock open on the last round. It may at first but will eventually fail. There are a few of these early P227 defective mags floating around. Sig will replace them without issue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am at work but will check tomorrow, how does sig handle it? Do I ship the mags then they ship some back (which sucks because then I have no way to shoot a new gun) or do they ship and then I return?!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Congrats!

You'll love the 227. I bought one planning on replacing my 229 with it, but I just cant give up my 229 so I kept both. I had the 227 and my Colt Gold Cup out at the range last night and thought the Sig was just as accurate. Expect great things from this pistol is the point to my story.

I saw you asked about the SRT. I put one in mine. I ordered the kit from TGS and about 30 min after receiving it the SRT kit was installed. Easy as can be. I like the SRT but I have to admin it'll take some getting used to.

Enjoy your 227!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a SRT on my MK25 and like it a lot I just don't know if I'll need it, it's so cheap to do it though I'm probably going to have to do it, $50 shipped max is too good not to, my neighbor is also a sig armorer so he can do it certified for like $15 I've made up my mind tomorrow I'm gonna squeeze in some range time!!!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I wouldn't expect too much out of the box........

Sorry, my sarcastic side could not resist. Hope you LOVE what's in the box, and bet you will!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts