SIG Talk banner

Picked up a P229

2007 19
I have been interested in a P229 in 357 Sig for a while. It is a rainy day here today so I decided to take a road trip. Kittery Trading Post's website listed a used P229 with 357 Sig & 40 SW barrels, and 5 mags. It turns out that it also has new Trijicon night sights. It shows a little wear, but that is not an issue to me, so I brought it home. Now I guess I have to set up to load 40 S&W!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,863 Posts
"Picked up a P229".

Me too. Picked it up when I was headed out of the house this morning.

Oh wait, that's not what you meant... Sorry...:lol:

Get some rounds out of it and let us know how sweet it is - like we don't already know.

Prefer mine in 357Sg. Have a full .40 upper but simply don't like the round.

Enjoy. You did well.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
I have to say here 2 things
1 congrats on the acquisition.
2. Caliber Wars! Think of what you are doing and where.
357 SIG is (in my opinion) one if the finest LEO pistol calibers. BUT.
If you look at Lucky Gunners labs tests, you find that the the .40 caliber Remington Golden Saber expands to .80 caliber in the FBI tests, and penetrates 13 inches in Gel.
So I like .40 for SD, and HD.
The 357 sig penetrates the same in Gel, regardless of the barriers. Not nearly the same expansion, but solid penetration after the barrier. So it hoes through wallboard, windshield, and car doors and does not over penetrate the 16 inches of gel.
Fit your tool to the job.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,029 Posts
Mainer, glad you didn't hurt yourself, taking that off of their hands... congratulations on another fine acquisition! ;) ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Congrats on the 229. I bought mine when they first came out in 357 sig. Got the 40 barrel for free because some fool bought a 229 and got the40 barrel then traded because they did not like the gun. Shop owner gave it to me just to get read of the barrel. I never looked back.

As for calibers, the 40 is good for cheaper practice ammo. I like the 357 because of performance.

I used the 357 round to put down a car hit doe(called the sherif and they said it was ok) and the bullet left a pinky size hole going in then a golf ball size hole on exit.

Have fun with the gun.

Btw the 40 cal barrel is from barsto barrels.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I got the P229 with a legacy slide in .40/.357 as well and I also have a 9mm x-change kit with the full height serrations and long extractor.
When I first made a Kydex holster for that gun I molded it with the 9mm slide and the legacy slide won't fit, so I had to remold it to the legacy slide because that's how I carry it (in .357).
I would give them a call to find out or just get one and if it's too tight just heating the Kydex up a bit with a heatgun or blow dryer to loosen it a bit. Maybe loosening the retention screw will do the trick without the application of heat.

Reactions: bearone2 and Mainer

·
Registered
1,626 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have been interested in a P229 in 357 Sig for a while. It is a rainy day here today so I decided to take a road trip. Kittery Trading Post's website listed a used P229 with 357 Sig & 40 SW barrels, and 5 mags. It turns out that it also has new Trijicon night sights. It shows a little wear, but that is not an issue to me, so I brought it home. Now I guess I have to set up to load 40 S&W!
I love it! I will be picking up the exact same one for myself someday.

·
Premium Member
16,863 Posts
Looking at a Clinger Stingray holster. They list one for 9MM with legacy slide, but not 40 Cal. Would the 40 fit a 9 MM holster?
No. This was actually a topic of lengthy debate some time ago. P229 holsters are actually marked for caliber if they are designed for 357Sig/.40 S&W. The 9mm gun fits the 357Sig/.40 S&W holsters a little loosely but the 9mm holster is too tight for the larger calibers.

Here's some data from Nov 16.

Reactions: Mainer
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.