SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photobucket has started limiting posting to 3rd party sites (forums like this one) to people that have a non-paying account. What this means is if this forum is full of Photobucket images it will soon be a stupid cat in a box suggesting you sign up and pay a fee for membership.

Not happening to you yet? I have seen it for over a week on other sites and just thought someone wasn't paying for their subscription, but I had a free account and it worked fine, but today I got an email telling me it wouldn't be so anymore.

Here's my issue, Photobucket was only charging $9.99 for years now, however, their lag is terrible, always a site maintenance issue, and advertising. To me advertising is the biggest issue, you can't even log on without multiple ads popping up, they are all around the border, Then they have a popup for "Join Photobucket" with about four ads in it...."btw, buy our prints and canvass with your photos. Even if I paid for the service their lag and downtime is often really inconvenient. With all of the issues together I don't trust the paid membership to be any better, in fact I know about ten people from two other forums that dropped their Photobucket accounts for this very reason.

My point is, I won't be using Photobucket for any image hosting.

I also read where another image hosting site is doing similar. So we may be out of luck all the way. <shrug>

Here is an example of a thread I did with multiple pictures.
http://sigtalk.com/knives/194009-tops-alrt-fixed-blade-edc.html

I didn't start this thread to dog Photobucket as much as it may sound like, they've offered me a free service for two years, but I don't think that service is worth my money with the hassle. The reason I brought it up was for fair warning as to why the photos may disappear from all of us Photobucket users and maybe other services as well.

If anyone is using a service that is simple enough and preferably no fees, or at least reliable service with fair overall value please share here. STILL that leaves many of us rebuilding broken links. I'm sure forums across the net are obviously having these same issues.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I attempted to sign up to see what they would charge because it did say $9.99 yearly. They say no ads, full resolution, etc.....for $399.00 a year!!!

·
Registered
55,365 Posts
i get the message but can still get into my free account.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good. Not to be a jerk and I hope it isn't but in a few days that may change. I've seen multiple people with this issue but I didn't have a problem for a week....until tonight. My account isn't even close to full so I can't imagine the issue unless they are restricting accounts in groups.

Maybe I'm wrong and I didn't start the thread for any reason other than to bring attention to in jic.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I used to use PhotoBucket but got tired of all the emails. I dropped my account and now post images from my own web site. We set up our site in 2005 to host photo travel journals but have other stuff on it as well. It was simple to upload images and post them here.

Reactions: Mills

·
Administrator
814 Posts
Hey there,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
If you prefer to host images via a third party website, there is still imgur, which should work just fine.

Or upload them directly to the site as suggested above by Mills.

Richard.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I got the notice from photoracket too, if there rates were anywhere approximating reasonable, one might consider it.

What's the best way to transfer them out of there, anyone done that yet?

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Yep ten years worth of pics posted on multiple forums all locked up and gone.
Flat out extortion it is. $399 a year?! What on earth are they smoking? Ef them.

Got the blackmail email this morning.

There's no way I can go back and reload pics in threads or posts that are years old.
That's impossible as most forums don't allow you to edit your post past a certain time.
Besides that I have no idea what threads they are or where? What a debacle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got the email this week. There is no way I would pay $400 to them even if I did have the money. They need to go out of business over this garbage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've gotten the $399 extortion notice. Eff photobucket. I only used it when using a forum that didn't allow direct uploading of images, and almost every forum I use now allows you to directly upload images. All my personal stuff is stored through Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive and backed up on two separate external hard drives. Luckily I never relied on photobucket for true storage.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think they are forcing users into a some kind of plan, and doing away with the free service.

Here are the current plans -- I've been on the basic plan for years and have not been notified of a required change to my billing rate.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
That's why I bought a large capacity external Hard Drive and store my pics there. Uploading to sites is not an issue.

·
Registered
482 Posts
There have been many attempts on the Internet to create revenue streams from sources previously offered for free. Not a single one has worked!

So good riddance PB, cya L8R...

I could get my own domain, plenty of storage and bandwidth, for a pittance compared to their outrageous ridiculousness! Even if they retract this stupidity, I'm done with them and hope everyone else moves on too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts