SIG Talk banner

PDF Of The Senate National Reciprocity Bill To Read

1999 Views 38 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Flash LB
http://freebeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/ALB17194.pdf

Mods, I created a new thread rather than let it get buried in the active reciprocity thread.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,916 Posts
Thank you, Flash.
At least now we are all going to be able to talk about what we have Read, as opposed to what we think it will be.

Of course, Lawyers will still work on how it is developed and delivered.

· Banned
5,101 Posts
I only hope the final language stipulates the federal government has no authority to issue or deny state licenses. It's preposterous that we're required to have a license to carry in the first place.

· Banned
5,101 Posts
Still not liking the government doing this. The cant manage very well and always screw things up. NY/CA will not approve this ever..
Me either, Chief. IS1(SW)

Reactions: Steve40th

· Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still not liking the government doing this. The cant manage very well and always screw things up. NY/CA will not approve this ever..
If it becomes law, NY/CA won't approve it, but they can't do anything about it. Anything legal, that is.

What they will do if this happens is arrest people who CCW there, jail 'em and attempt to prosecute 'em.

If you've got money, you'll walk unscathed. If you don't, you're in deep doo doo.

That's my prediction at this time.

· 🎖USA Veteran
1,753 Posts
Makes one wonder what the District of Columbia will think about it.

Then there will be the trappings of States like New Jersey which has a law against hollow point ammunition. How many uninformed people from other States might wander in and have the jaws of the trap grab them.

Thank you for providing the link.

· Banned
5,101 Posts
If it becomes law, NY/CA won't approve it, but they can't do anything about it. Anything legal, that is.

What they will do if this happens is arrest people who CCW there, jail 'em and attempt to prosecute 'em.

If you've got money, you'll walk unscathed. If you don't, you're in deep doo doo.

If this is done under the premise of recognizing a state issued license then if CA or NY arrests anyone they will be sued and lose. They will not have the authority to arrest anyone IF this is passed under the proposed premise. If someone ventures into one of these states from a state that does not issue a carry license then that person can and will be arrested if caught in possession of a firearm. That is the catch of that concept. It will be interesting how it is finally passed, but I do believe it will be passed eventually.

Reactions: bearone2

· Registered
189 Posts
So can I carry the same pistol I carry in MT with its standard capacity magazine while in California, or do I have to make sure the pistol is on California's approved list and with a limited capacity magazine?

· Banned
5,101 Posts
Reactions: asdfzxcv

· Banned
5,101 Posts
So can I carry the same pistol I carry in MT with its standard capacity magazine while in California, or do I have to make sure the pistol is on California's approved list and with a limited capacity magazine?
Depends on how the law is written. It could be written that out of state license carriers are allowed to carry how the law stipulates in their home states, which is the way it is not with reciprocal states meaning if I'm traveling to a state that reciprocates my state's license then I am free to carry according to my state's laws on capacity, etc., so long as I do not step outside the reciprocating state's laws on where I can to, shooting, etc. This is part of the reason for the lag time (why Trump hasn't already signed it into law yet). They have to get all those details worked out so that they don't set people up for a NJ trap.

· Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If this is done under the premise of recognizing a state issued license then if CA or NY arrests anyone they will be sued and lose. They will not have the authority to arrest anyone IF this is passed under the proposed premise. If someone ventures into one of these states from a state that does not issue a carry license then that person can and will be arrested if caught in possession of a firearm. That is the catch of that concept. It will be interesting how it is finally passed, but I do believe it will be passed eventually.
Here's a guy that was carrying under LEOSA and got arrested, cuffed and stuffed. He prevailed, but if they have no problem messing with those traveling under LEOSA, they sure won't have a problem messing with those who just have a State CCW.

HR 218 "LEOSA" Carry Law | New York City Guns

In People of the State of California v. Jose Diaz, Case No. 7GF00494 (Cal. Sup. Ct. 2007), a Coast Guard boarding officer was arrested under Cal. Pen. Code § 12031(A)(1) for carrying a loaded firearm in his vehicle while in a public place. At the time of his arrest, Diaz was traveling with a cased firearm and loaded magazine in the back seat of his automobile. The charge was dismissed on oral motion by the prosecutor after it became evident to the City that LEOSA preempted Diaz’s prosecution. Diaz sued for a violation of his civil rights, Diaz v. City of San Fernando, et al., Case No. PC044139 (Cal. Sup. Ct. 2011). The civil suit settled outside of court, and the Settlement and Release Agreement entered into between Diaz and the City resulted in a $43,500 payment to Diaz and a redraft of the City’s police training standards on LEOSA.

· Registered
1,916 Posts

Look for the following:
1 .New Jersey prosecution for Illegal Ammunition in the firearm.
2. New York to enact a law to make ammunition of some types illegal.
3. California and Oregon and Washington to Follow Suit.

None of these states will I ever travel.

I just wish that Virginia Governor would have signed the bill passed by the legislature that is the same a Ga. Persons 18 years of age, when in active military service, or honorably discharged from active military service are able to acquire a CCW. That would have put Virginia in the reciprocity with Georgia, and eliminated that block of Red for Virginia Permits.

Between that and my Illinois Non Resident permit, I am cleared for all of the "FLyover" states.

· Registered
200 Posts
The Ca approved list (roster) only affects you if you are a resident (and not exempt) of this fine state and purchasing a new firearm. That being said there is a list of definite no-no's that no one can own and they are listed by exact name. And to tell you the truth, as a regular citizen of this state it is legal for me to own any handgun not listed on the no-no list as long as I have magazines that meet the ten round limit. I can purchase these nonroster firearms only in a face to face purchase from another resident, and not from an outside entity shipping it into the state unless you happen to be exempt (i.e. LEO, CO, etc.).

As to carrying I am sure they will maintain the ten round limit because we just can't be trusted with those evil "high capacity" magazines.

· Registered
407 Posts
The way I read it is that if the State limits magazine capacity, you'll have to conform to their standards when carrying in their State.
Agreed, this looks like the biggest fail. The "May Issue" States will pass numerous restrictions on ammo, magazines, etc, which will make it even more befuddling than it is now...if that is possible.
On one hand you have "States Rights", on the other hand you'll have a Federal Law recognizing restrictions many consider unconstitutional.
I was in favor on some type of "National Reciprocity" but see no resolution to some state's onerous conditions.
In respect to driver's licenses, most road use laws are standardized, not so with respect to firearms.

· Registered
389 Posts
If this goes through, what does it do to the Non-Resident permits that many of us in the "May Issue" states depend on? Sorry if this is elementary or already hashed, I haven't seen this discussion yet.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.