SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for the great minds. Has anyone parkerized a Sig slide? I understand some have been done from the factory, my question is geared toward the re-parkerizing of an old slide or stripping a finish and parkerize. I've parkerized AK receivers and 1911 frames but I've never seen a thread on P series slide so figured I'd ask the question.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,034 Posts
The only one you could, would be one of the older folded carbon steel slides. It will not work on Stainless steel, as all of the milled forgings are made of... I hope this answers you question... the P226 Mk25, and M11A1 have parkerized internal components.
As far as slides are concerned, I imagine the military M11, and early P226 Mk25 with the folded carbon steel slides were parkerized, along with possibly other military contracts that Sig had procured in the early years, but I have no proof. Possibly a member in military service during this period, with access to those models could weigh in... my experiences were M1911A1s, M9s, and S&W/Ruger revolvers (Aviators).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure the 226 slide I have isn't stainless and it's a older Herndon,Va marked slide. My next concern would be the dovetail cuts. I know after blast and park I may lose some surface material.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,034 Posts
If you are talking about the rails, on the slide, you don't HAVE to "blast" the entire slide, only the outside is really required, to give a "matte" finish. Masking tape in the sight dovetails, and slide rail grooves during the sandblasting will prevent their "enlargement", the same can be said of the breech block. The phosphate etches the base metal to a point, that it's normally not recommended for "Match Grade" weapons. as far as the barrel is concerned.
Your slide should be the "folded" carbon steel slide with the removable breech block. While you don't HAVE to refinish the breech block, it would at least match the slide where it is "exposed" at the top rear of the ejection port. You just need to talk to whomever will be doing the work, and explain to them what you want.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would think that Cerakote and some of the other finishes would last much longer than a parkerized finish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.