SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided today that the ammunition shortage was over for me. Well, to restock my limited supply of 5.56 anyway. I signed up earlier with PSA to be notified when M885 62 gr. green tip was back in stock. Got an email today that they had 200 rounds of Winchester for .65 cents/round. I know the price isn't fabulous, but it sure beats what it was for most of 2020-21. I will keep stocking up when I see a decent price on any 9mm or 5.56. I'm not going to complain (much) since I had to pay almost $2.00/round for 6.5 Creedmor last fall.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I do the same thing. I try to buy when I find a deal, then replace what I shoot. That way I can build my supply back up. I refused to pay $600 for a case of 9mm a year ago. Now it's down to about $325. Still not "cheap", but cheap enough that I will make the purchase.

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228, MPX K 4.5”
985 Posts
Maybe not green tip, but 5.56 is available for a lot less…

Reactions: Tommy10

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe not green tip, but 5.56 is available for a lot less…

That link shows that it's beginning to get back toward normal. Around Thanksgiving 55 gr. was selling in the neighborhood of .58 cents/round. When the next shortage arrives I plan to have enough in reserve to ride out sky-rocketing prices. You know ....... Fool me once .............................. :cool:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing what PSA does with their steel cased 7.62x39. I think it's going to be at least another year or so till they have everything set up to start pumping it out but I'm hoping they'll help keep the price down once the Russian imports dry up completely.

·
🎖USN Retired
4,111 Posts
If you’re close to an academy sports store, buy the green tipped 5.56 from them. My three local academy sports stores have a lot of them.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
All that 30 cent .30-06 from the CMP looked expensive when I bought it a few years ago...

Ammunition is value priced, so it's cost of manufacture doesn't necessarily track as a commodity to the cost of components, machinery usage and labor involved in producing it. When high demand drives up the price, it's completely unrelated to cost of production.

As the demand balances more with the production supply things return to "normal" - whatever that is... We'll probably track to a "new normal" for the next couple of years.

Just remember that firearms sales have not really slowed down for the past two years. NICS checks tend to be the best indication of this, and this table is updated regularly:

We've been approaching 40 million NICS checks for the past 2 years. There are at least 10-15 new gun owners each of whom has purchased at least 100 rounds of ammunition. That's 4 billion rounds a year in excess of what the rest of us have been consuming.

It's a good and profitable business, and you can be sure that entrepreneurs are taking notice, and setting up new production lines. They will be small and numerous. Costs may be higher than Vista, but things will eventually achieve balance. It's a very slow moving "system"...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thinking it is still coming down a good bit I'm holding off on everything I don't absolutely need for now.

·
🎖USA Retired
230 Posts
If the November 2022 mid term elections do not go in 2A favor. It's going to get a lot worse. So I hope everyone is doing their part as a 2A ambassador. Especially if you have any flip flop friends and family. Take them shooting go help them get in the sport and hobby.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I never saw the appeal of the M855/SS109 ammo. Most places will not let you shoot it unless it's into a dirt berm. It's banned from most indoor ranges and a lot of outdoor that uses any steel targets. Frankly it was never the most accurate of the widely available 55.6 rounds.

There are at least 10-15 new gun owners each of whom has purchased at least 100 rounds of ammunition.
NICS checks are down about a million from the highs of 2020. One of the biggest issues was a shortage of components for manufacturers. The majority of powder is made out of the country. Components made overseas were not being shipped into the US. Supplies are up in many cases because the rush to buy anything on the shelf is gone.

All that 30 cent .30-06 from the CMP looked expensive when I bought it a few years ago...
Even better was the fact you were issued 60 rounds of Lake City 30-06 for the $20.00 entry fee to area CMP High Power matches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts