SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What options and what would be the best way to paint my frame? I was looking at cerakote but its expensive and a lot of work. Right now I am looking at just spray painting my frame module. Does anyone have any experience painting their frames? If so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What options and what would be the best way to paint my frame? I was looking at cerakote but its expensive and a lot of work. Right now I am looking at just spray painting my frame module. Does anyone have any experience painting their frames? If so I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I assume it's a Polymer ? Yes? well you will be pleased to know that the air cure version of cerakote does not require baking and the polymer does not require media blasting...so basically your prep for a good paint job will be the same for the C series Cerakote. And you will get a very durable finish to boot. If you have access to an air brush and some quality water soluble degreaser then its all you need. The hardest part is not touching it for 24 hrs. 4-5 days full cure. AND ALL THOSE COOL COLORS TOO :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume it's a Polymer ? Yes? well you will be pleased to know that the air cure version of cerakote does not require baking and the polymer does not require media blasting...so basically your prep for a good paint job will be the same for the C series Cerakote. And you will get a very durable finish to boot. If you have access to an air brush and some quality water soluble degreaser then its all you need. The hardest part is not touching it for 24 hrs. 4-5 days full cure. AND ALL THOSE COOL COLORS TOO :D

Unfortunately I don't have access to an air brush. I did see cerakote sells a spray paint version but they're 40 bucks a pop and I feel like just painting one frame would waste most of the can since you have to put a hardening compound in before you start spraying.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have access to an air brush. I did see cerakote sells a spray paint version but they're 40 bucks a pop and I feel like just painting one frame would waste most of the can since you have to put a hardening compound in before you start spraying.
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the spray can was the air cure version which comes already mixed. When you buy the C series bottles its no mixing, ready to go. Only the H series (heat cure) has the hardener separate. I'll have to look into that.

I think that is Duracote not Ceracote BTW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the spray can was the air cure version which comes already mixed. When you buy the C series bottles its no mixing, ready to go. Only the H series (heat cure) has the hardener separate. I'll have to look into that.

I think that is Duracote not Ceracote BTW.

Maybe. I found a spraypaint can that has a hardener inside that you push a button and it is released inside the can.

It is DuraCoat. My mistake. I guess I need to start googling duracoating now!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1841368409/lauer-duracoat-aerosol-firearm-finish

·
Registered
552 Posts
I work with Cerakote, I have now personal experience with Duracoat. However, I understand its pretty easy to apply and a little more user friendly. It's not the same as Cerakote, and not as durable, but it is a lot better than just paint.
Gun finishes like Cerakote, Duracoat , Gunkote all have one major advantage over spray paint... they are all solvent resistant (some more so than others). Solvents are pretty much every thing you use to clean a gun...oils, CLP, barrel Blast, Balistol even Frog Lube, they are all solvents, contain solvents or act like solvents. They will remove paint eventually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I work with Cerakote, I have now personal experience with Duracoat. However, I understand its pretty easy to apply and a little more user friendly. It's not the same as Cerakote, and not as durable, but it is a lot better than just paint.
Gun finishes like Cerakote, Duracoat , Gunkote all have one major advantage over spray paint... they are all solvent resistant (some more so than others). Solvents are pretty much every thing you use to clean a gun...oils, CLP, barrel Blast, Balistol even Frog Lube, they are all solvents, contain solvents or act like solvents. They will remove paint eventually.
Okay. Looks like Ill go with some kind of Cerakote then. Thanks a bunch!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.