SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dipping my toe into the paddle holster zone. This will be for carrying my P226 Legion and P227. There's a fair selection available so without spending to much I ordered a Safariland ALS to try. I had been looking at the selection from G-Code and if I end up liking & doing well with the Safariland I will probably end up buying a G-Code combo too.

What is your opinions and experiences with paddle holsters, good bad & ugly.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Paddle holsters are very convenient, but some are better than others. Safariland makes good stuff, as does G-Code. I've had both and like both, but I think the Safariland makes a little better paddle holster. It seem to be more sturdy, and I like the paddle design better. It's easier to put on/take off, and I like the fact that it has lined offerings. The G-Code is more versatile, though, and it is quality stuff.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I just got an Alien Gear Cloak Mod, I can't quite decide about it. On the one hand the retention is decent, it's an OWB with the same design as their hybrid holster (a spring steel layer holds the pistol pressed against the outer shell when holstered... I'm not describing it well, but it works). On the other hand, the paddle is a fairly small size and I'm finding it a little top-heavy; the holster body seems to lean away at a weird angle. This may be 100% subjective but it certainly *feels* that way.

Reactions: tandtmoyer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep, this is the feedback I was looking for. I knew weight would probably be a factor with carrying the bulk of it so high, it's a trade off in my book. It's like with my Black Point standard OWB holster (which I really like), with the adjustable metal clips moved all the way to the bottom moving the holster / pistol higher above the belt it allows a bit more movement and flex especially when using a "softer" belt.

The Safariland is due to deliver today so I'll play with it and see how it feels with both the P226 & P227. The weight difference between the two will be handy for trying this out too.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Bianchi M 84.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,597 Posts
These aren't the priciest, the "G-Code" model I got from Natchez Shooters Supply as a "Closeout" for less than $10 a couple of years back. The Sig branded, for less than $25 where I worked about 3 years ago.

The "G-Code" fits fairly tight to the body, and is easier to conceal.

The Sig branded holster, due to its "angle" adjustability, is harder to conceal, and more of an open carry rig in my estimation. I know some hate it's "Serpa type" lock mechanism, including many trainers. Due to its adjustable angle of carry, if you want, you can get a "loop" assembly to replace the paddle. I like it as a "Driving" holster, for crossdraw carry in a vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Initial impression of the Safariland ALS, so far so good. Fit, retention & release is very good with the P226 DA/SA Legion and the P227R. I'll use it for range, hunting/field work and places where I can open carry. I don't think I could get away with CC unless I were wearing a bit of a longer jacket.

I will pursue a G-Code in the near future. With them it's a matter of deciding if I need / want the OSH which by all appearances looks like it will be a nice close to the body fit or go for an XST and have multiple mounting options. I'll figure that out lol.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
One of the things I didn't like about paddle holsters is they are rather hot in the summer and they tend to move some if its not tight enough .. they also tend to be a little thicker then a holster with a clip or belt loops so they can print a little more ..

·
Registered
209 Posts
I prefer paddle holsters for flexibility without unbelting. As others mentioned, I like the GCode and Safariland, but also suggest you look at Stealthgear. Their ventcore model is my new favorite for carrying MK25.

It is lightweight and comfortably conforms to curvature of my hips whether wearing at 2:00, 3:00, or 4:00 position. I use the belt clip attachment. This holster makes carrying a full size surprisingly comfortable.

https://stealthgearusa.com/holsters...alog=true&manufacturer=264&model=137&tech=317

·
Registered
17,766 Posts
If your butt size is the same as your waist size and as a result you have to wear your belt pretty tight, be advised that the tightening increases retention in a big way for a lot of OWB holsters, but it doesn't have the same effect on paddle holsters.

So, the one day a year I carry OWB, I use a paddle holster,

·
Registered
552 Posts
If your butt size is the same as your waist size and as a result you have to wear your belt pretty tight, be advised that the tightening increases retention in a big way for a lot of OWB holsters, but it doesn't have the same effect on paddle holsters.
:lol::D:lol::p

So, the one day a year I carry OWB, I use a paddle holster,
OK Flash, I'll bite. What day is that?

·
Registered
17,766 Posts
The day of the Arizona Citizens Defense League Annual Meeting/dinner.

They request (almost demand) the "tasteful" open carry of handguns at that dinner, which is held at a hotel in Phoenix one year and a hotel in Tucson the next.

And for those who want to know what the "tasteful" carrying of a handgun is, as I did the first time I went, tasteful means loaded with one in the chamber.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sounds like a hoot. I don't think Louisiana has something like that. At least not round these parts.

I'll bet there are more bullets in your chamber than there are liberals at this dinner.

·
Registered
17,766 Posts
You're right I'm sure. Life members of the AzCDL get free tickets for them and one loved one and Mrs. Flash and I are Life Members. Non life members can purchase tickets for something like $20.00 each.

They give out and sell around 500 tickets, it's generally sold out.

It's a kick. Speakers, politicians, lawyers, authors, silent auctions going on the whole time, new people to meet and pretty good food, too, with around 3 possible selections for dinner which you have to pick in advance so they don't buy extras.

Think about that. Around 500 armed open carriers in a major hotel convention room at the same time......there'll be blood running in the aisles.:lol:

It's a great time. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts