SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in New Mexico and NM does not have reciprocal agreement with PA for CC. So I know I cannot CC in PA. But I am not clear on carrying in a car. Anyone familiar with PA gun laws, can an out of state person have/transport a firearm in their car while visiting PA?

·
Registered
113 Posts
@Tom73 If you're going to be here a while, or will be a frequent visitor, I believe you can apply for a non-resident permit at any county's Sheriff's office.

@PA P365 I thought the "unloaded & cased" exception only applied when traveling to/from homes/work, or to/from a shooting range, hunting grounds, gun store/gunsmith, etc., or when traveling through PA (PA not the destination). Are you thinking of a specific PA law, or a federal interstate travel law (peaceable journey)?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have a resident permit in your home state, you can apply online and PA will issue you a non-resident, but you must pick it up in person. Cost is $20.00 for 5 years, plus a $5.00 fee to use a card online.

When I got my home state (MD) permit, I applied online at the York County sheriff's office. Sent in a pic of my driver's license and MD HGP - was approved in 14 hours. Made an appointment to pick it up and was there about 10 minutes; took my pic, looked at my docs, printed the card and done. Very pleasant experience and they actually acted like they were glad I got it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
E.Shell, that sounds like a doable plan. Seems straight forward. Only issue appears to be the 30 days to pick up the license. Guess will wait to apply until just before my next trip to PA. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you have a resident permit in your home state, you can apply online and PA will issue you a non-resident, but you must pick it up in person. Cost is $20.00 for 5 years, plus a $5.00 fee to use a card online.

When I got my home state (MD) permit, I applied online at the York County sheriff's office. Sent in a pic of my driver's license and MD HGP - was approved in 14 hours. Made an appointment to pick it up and was there about 10 minutes; took my pic, looked at my docs, printed the card and done. Very pleasant experience and they actually acted like they were glad I got it.
My sister in law works for the York county sheriff's department and I can say the vast majority of them are advocates of concealed carry.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Again, thanks for the tip. The York County Sheriffs web site looks very positive.

Out of courisity I checked the Lancaster Sheriffs Office site and they state that they do not issue to out of county or out of state residents.

Apparently have to pick your county very carefully.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Been reading some PA laws. Does this say that if you have an out of state license you can carry a weapon in a vehicle?
View attachment 478497

View attachment 478496
No. 'except in his place of abode or fixed place of business.' Not a lawyer, but I suspect a non-resident could carry on their person on property they owned in PA, or in a vehicle on property they owned in PA.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
In PA, if you are not a PA resident, you can carry loaded in your car if you have a license/permit issued by ANY state. You just cannot carry outside of your vehicle without a reciprocal permit. No loaded long guns - only pistols/SBRs.

The bottom line from the screenshot in post #7 describes this.Title 18 - 6106 - (11).

Enjoy your trip. Apply to a sheriff that will process non resident permits if you're going to be here often .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ben.B, I found this in a summary of PA gun laws:
”Pennsylvania concealed carry includes any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.”

·
Registered
306 Posts
In PA, if you are not a PA resident, you can carry loaded in your car if you have a license/permit issued by ANY state. You just cannot carry outside of your vehicle without a reciprocal permit. No loaded long guns - only pistols/SBRs.

The bottom line from the screenshot in post #7 describes this.Title 18 - 6106 - (11).

Enjoy your trip. Apply to a sheriff that will process non resident permits if you're going to be here often .
Really? Can you please post some information on that?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am not entirely sure the SBR part is true since an SBR is legally a rifle, thus a "long gun". When I form 1'ed my AR pistol I was told to treat it as you would a rifle - cannot be loaded inside a vehicle. Would be interested to hear others' opinions on this.
I think this is more a point of LE not knowing the law than anything else. I've spoken personally with prominent PA 2A attorney Josh Prince about this. An SBR or SBS is a 'firearm' in PA (so is the Mossberg Shockwave and Remington Tac 14), so the PA LTCF legally covers having a loaded one in your vehicle. He said you may still possibly have the weapon confiscated by LE and might need a lawyer to clarify that you did not break any law. He also said it may be more likely to be issued a citation from the game commission for 'hunting from your vehicle' by having a loaded SBR/SBS/Shockwave/TAC 14 in your vehicle.

In PA there is also no 'duty to inform,' so having such an item obscured goes a long way. If it's lying in plain view, LE may likely go down the whole incorrect path that you have broken the law. YMMV depending on location. Philly? You'll probably at least lose the gun for a few months. Pennsyltucky? 'Hey Joe, just lay off the burnouts, OK? By the way, nice SBR on the seat there. Can I stop by after my shift so we can pop off a few rounds?'

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Really? Can you please post some information on that?
Tom literally posted it right above! Post #7 gives you the reference.

I do mention the person has to be a non-PA resident to be covered by the 'any state license' stipulation because there is case law that determined if you're a PA resident - you must have a PA resident license to carry.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I am not entirely sure the SBR part is true since an SBR is legally a rifle, thus a "long gun". When I form 1'ed my AR pistol I was told to treat it as you would a rifle - cannot be loaded inside a vehicle. Would be interested to hear others' opinions on this.
That is false. The Pennsylvania definition of firearm is:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

And a PA license to carry firearms covers... well, firearms! As defined by the Uniform Firearms Act.

Getting caught up with LE as mentioned even when fully covered is a separate topic

·
Registered
306 Posts
Tom literally posted it right above! Post #7 gives you the reference.

I do mention the person has to be a non-PA resident to be covered by the 'any state license' stipulation because there is case law that determined if you're a PA resident - you must have a PA resident license to carry.
My error. I stopped at the 'constables' part, and completely missed that bottom portion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is false. The Pennsylvania definition of firearm is:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

And a PA license to carry firearms covers... well, firearms! As defined by the Uniform Firearms Act.

Getting caught up with LE as mentioned even when fully covered is a separate topic
I gladly stand corrected! Thanks for the info. I may start putting my SBR in the Jeep if this is in fact the law.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts