SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How do these compare to one another? HAve you tried either for Pocket carry? People swear by the 238 for Pocket but I'm partial to the 9mm. And these 2 aren't much bigger at all over the 238.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
On reliability alone, I would choose the Kahr. I also prefer its trigger mechanism to the 938s. I'm not a big fan of either system, but would prefer the Kahr's to the P938 for safety reasons alone. I do not like the idea of putting a SA pistol in my pocket. While I think they're completely safe on the hip, the pocket is another matter altogether different. Strange things happen in pockets that never take place on a belt.

Reactions: Big Cape and Blu

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The PM9/CM9 and the P938, aside from their size, are very different guns. Kahr is striker fired with a long (but very smooth) DA trigger and polymer frame. The Sig has a hammer, a single action trigger, and an aluminum alloy frame. (The Kahr slide is more difficult to rack than the Sig, if that matters to you.) I was leaning heavily toward the CM9 when I started looking for a pocketable 9mm handgun - then I went and fondled various handguns at my LGS. I really didn't like the grip on the CM9 and the trigger wasn't for me. The 938 BRG had a perfect feel for me and I personally like the 1911 manual of arms... Both guns are pocketable - probably the best size 9mm's on the market for that purpose. It's a matter of personal preference IMO.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have the Sig P938 my brother has the Kahr CW9, which I have shot a lot. I like the trigger on the Kahr, however the Sig IMHO is hands down a better weapon all the way around. I own several striker fired weapons and just don’t like them. Nothing wrong with them they are just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the safety inadvertently disengage twice while carrying my P938. Probably due to holster selection (crotch carry pouch holster and Galco COP Ankle Holster), but at any rate ended up selling it in favor of a striker fired carry gun with low profile controls (G43) and am very happy. So if I had to pick between the two, I'd probably go with the Kahr.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I carried a Kahr MK9 (all stainless version of the PM9) and just switched to a P938.

As has been said, they are different guns and it's mostly preference.

The 938 is lighter in my pocket than the MK9 was. Probably about the same as the PM9.

I personally like the 938 much better. It's easier to rack, the recoil is slightly less, and the sights are MUCH better on the 938. I shoot the 938 better than the Kahr, and it feels better in my hand.

The 938 safety and ability to rack the slide with safety engaged are also things that I prefer.

On the Kahr, the more enclosed striker-fired slide is about the only thing I prefer between the two. Carrying in a pocket means worrying about lint, etc. and I'll have to clean the 938 more than I did my MK9 (which was pretty much never)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends on how you carry. I will not use a safety on any handgun (too much time shooting glocks), nor will I take a chance on an AD. For me unchambered is a must. I also want to hit what I aim at, and I'm don't like the heavy and long striker fire pull that you really should have if you're carrying a chambered.CCW handgun. (No, I don't do such things in my fullsize Glocks, so I'm not contradicting myself. But if I was CCW a Glock I sure would!)

But I'm not LEO, and I won't be confronting anybody on purpose. Those guys carry chambered and non-concealed for a good reason! I do not, and if I pull it'll be to stop mass murder. I'll have the half second it takes to rack (I practice that way), and I'll want it to be certain I have no choice but to send that round.

So for me, I wanted quality from the work go. I looked hard at Kahr, and it was close. But I wanted a hammer (I carry cocked and locked) and the better shot results I get from a good trigger. Since I know of no striker fire that fills that bill...

If what I've suggested flows for you, I think you're looking at Kimber Micro vs Sig P938. If you insist on carrying chambered, then put the safety on, stay away from me, :) and add the Kahrs back in. Good little gun for that use.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Depends on how you carry. I will not use a safety on any handgun (too much time shooting glocks), nor will I take a chance on an AD. For me unchambered is a must. I also want to hit what I aim at, and I'm don't like the heavy and long striker fire pull that you really should have if you're carrying a chambered.CCW handgun. (No, I don't do such things in my fullsize Glocks, so I'm not contradicting myself. But if I was CCW a Glock I sure would!)

But I'm not LEO, and I won't be confronting anybody on purpose. Those guys carry chambered and non-concealed for a good reason! I do not, and if I pull it'll be to stop mass murder. I'll have the half second it takes to rack (I practice that way), and I'll want it to be certain I have no choice but to send that round.

So for me, I wanted quality from the work go. I looked hard at Kahr, and it was close. But I wanted a hammer (I carry cocked and locked) and the better shot results I get from a good trigger. Since I know of no striker fire that fills that bill...

If what I've suggested flows for you, I think you're looking at Kimber Micro vs Sig P938. If you insist on carrying chambered, then put the safety on, stay away from me,
and add the Kahrs back in. Good little gun for that use.

Best of luck.
Hi DFischer,
Trying to understand your post a bit better. You don't carry with a round chambered but said you want a hammer fired because you carry cocked and locked. Cocked and locked is condition 1 for military meaning round in the chamber, hammer cocked, full mag in the well, and safety on. Is that what you meant? Also said if you pull it would be to stop a mass murder. I don't consider that an unrealistic possibility in this world and it just seems more likely that you would be confronted while broken down or with a flat on the road with family in the car, perhaps be in a store during a robbery attempt, or maybe just walking from your car in the driveway to your house late at night. Everyone carries for different reasons like cash drops for a business, hiking in remote areas, job that takes you into shady neighborhoods etc.... I do have a finicky 938 presently so thanks for the info on alternative pieces too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Color me Stupid

Hi DFischer,
Trying to understand your post a bit better. You don't carry with a round chambered but said you want a hammer fired because you carry cocked and locked. Cocked and locked is condition 1 for military meaning round in the chamber, hammer cocked, full mag in the well, and safety on. Is that what you meant? Also said if you pull it would be to stop a mass murder. I don't consider that an unrealistic possibility in this world and it just seems more likely that you would be confronted while broken down or with a flat on the road with family in the car, perhaps be in a store during a robbery attempt, or maybe just walking from your car in the driveway to your house late at night. Everyone carries for different reasons like cash drops for a business, hiking in remote areas, job that takes you into shady neighborhoods etc.... I do have a finicky 938 presently so thanks for the info on alternative pieces too.
I typed before engaging brain. Cocked, NOT locked. I don't use a safety. and I won't chamber. I'd not considered "Cocked and Locked" implied "chambered", but I'd not disagree with your statement. And again, I don't lock anyway. Typing ahead of my brain.

Let me clean it up this way:

I don't/won't carry a handgun chambered. For my Sigs I carry hammer back (reduces slide pull weight considerably) and safety off, and do so pocket carry. If I do IWB then I both want to avoid skin oils and want more sight radius, so I carry my Shield. My Glocks are used external carry or in cars, or whatever is appropriate when I'm in deep woods at night and etc. And usually that's the G20.

For me this means the same root training for all my handguns. Same reason I'm working more on "point of aim". I want my training to be as universal to my weapons as possible.

Yep, I've been broken down in bad places at night changing a flat tire. Once in an entirely poor area. Police response was reported to be at roughly an hour for a non-emergency (for that area). But I had a passenger holding the G20 with the red-dot already on. Had I been alone I'd have probably destroyed the rim first.

I thought very long and hard before I went from "hobby shooter" to CCW. For me it was a very emotional and mentally trying decision. I suppose I had to come to grips with moving from "fun" to "I might have to kill another man". I've known some that didn't have my emotional tug of war, and it makes me nervous. We're talking about human life. Ah well. Me and my soap box.

Oddly, I've changed how I behave while driving, and how I handle risk situations, in that I avoid them all more carefully now.

Funnily enough my wife, who hates guns, needed a bio break on the interstate late one night in the middle of nowhere. I pulled into a rest area and her first words were "you've got your gun, right?". Sure, and in that case I suppose I could have chambered. But I shoot lots, and I practice racking a lot. There is no question I lose some time, and I find I'm also not on target as quickly either. But heck, I can't pocket draw quickly at all, and the ranges here won't let me practice that way, so if I'm in a speed is paramount situation, well, that's bad. In her case it was "hands in pocket on gun, in a corner where I can hear her and nobody can be behind me".

Hope I was at least a bit more clear. :)

atb - d

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi DFischer,
I typed before engaging brain. Cocked, NOT locked. I don't use a safety. and I won't chamber. I'd not considered "Cocked and Locked" implied "chambered", but I'd not disagree with your statement. And again, I don't lock anyway. Typing ahead of my brain.

Let me clean it up this way:

I don't/won't carry a handgun chambered. For my Sigs I carry hammer back (reduces slide pull weight considerably) and safety off, and do so pocket carry. If I do IWB then I both want to avoid skin oils and want more sight radius, so I carry my Shield. My Glocks are used external carry or in cars, or whatever is appropriate when I'm in deep woods at night and etc. And usually that's the G20.

For me this means the same root training for all my handguns. Same reason I'm working more on "point of aim". I want my training to be as universal to my weapons as possible.

Yep, I've been broken down in bad places at night changing a flat tire. Once in an entirely poor area. Police response was reported to be at roughly an hour for a non-emergency (for that area). But I had a passenger holding the G20 with the red-dot already on. Had I been alone I'd have probably destroyed the rim first.

I thought very long and hard before I went from "hobby shooter" to CCW. For me it was a very emotional and mentally trying decision. I suppose I had to come to grips with moving from "fun" to "I might have to kill another man". I've known some that didn't have my emotional tug of war, and it makes me nervous. We're talking about human life. Ah well. Me and my soap box.

Oddly, I've changed how I behave while driving, and how I handle risk situations, in that I avoid them all more carefully now.

Funnily enough my wife, who hates guns, needed a bio break on the interstate late one night in the middle of nowhere. I pulled into a rest area and her first words were "you've got your gun, right?". Sure, and in that case I suppose I could have chambered. But I shoot lots, and I practice racking a lot. There is no question I lose some time, and I find I'm also not on target as quickly either. But heck, I can't pocket draw quickly at all, and the ranges here won't let me practice that way, so if I'm in a speed is paramount situation, well, that's bad. In her case it was "hands in pocket on gun, in a corner where I can hear her and nobody can be behind me".

Hope I was at least a bit more clear.

atb - d
DFischer,
Got it. I can understand in both cases. I have heard of ADs many times but don't know anyone it has happened to so it is definitely a personal decision. Sounds like you go full size in your vehicle for travel. I also carry a wheel gun in my vehicles Console Vault as my "retreat weapon" or as a primary if a situation ever got sticky or was degrading below what my CCW might handle. Just have to remember to lock or unlock it at the appropriate times. I am pretty OCD about it so part of my routine. Unlikely that I'll need it but I still range fire it at least once a month to stay proficient. Nothing like the boom of a .357 to get people's attention. Appreciate the gouge on the K guns. I
Have never fired either one so if the 938 fails me, who knows?

·
Registered
31 Posts
On reliability alone, I would choose the Kahr. I also prefer its trigger mechanism to the 938s. I'm not a big fan of either system, but would prefer the Kahr's to the P938 for safety reasons alone. I do not like the idea of putting a SA pistol in my pocket. While I think they're completely safe on the hip, the pocket is another matter altogether different. Strange things happen in pockets that never take place on a belt.
Don't I know it...but it didn't involve a pistol...:lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I carry with one in chamber. Working a manual safety is no big deal to me. I make sure I have a high quality firearm specific holster.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can't stand POLYMER pocket pistols. They are good as a backup to a backups, backup. For starters, a carry gun should be something I practice with a lot, and shooting all those small Polymer Carry guns is just not FUN.

The Sig P938 is probably one of if not THE best of the small 9's. Its just so accurate as well. I've owned an LCP and recently a Shield and I just couldn't hit **** with either, even after a lot of range time. The Sig P938 within the first box of ammo I was getting good groupings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
IMHO a SA cocked and locked pistol is much safer than any striker fired pistol. Glock's and Springfield Xd's could benefit from a safety as they are mostly cocked and unlocked. I don't suppose it matters if you carry w/o a round chambered. Again it is just my opinion but carrying w/o a round in the chamber may be worse than not carrying. The one time you have to fire may be the one time your racking a round in fails.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts