SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

P938 Trigger

4K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  ThnkFrst 
#1 ·
I hate the trigger on my P938... to the point that I'm considering selling it for a Glock 43. I think the gun is beautiful and I love the size. I just hate shooting it. Trigger is really long/heavy compared to my SA/DA P239 and I just can't get a feel for it. I thought maybe it would break in, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I probably have 300ish rounds through it.

Is there any hope, or is the trigger just destined to be crappy?

#2 ·
My experience has been going from a carry Smitty BG to a carry 938 so aside from some initial non trigger related issues, I actually really like the weight of the pull on the 938. Very clean and even. I don't know that anyone is making a kit to address any pull issues on the 938s and first I've heard that there might even be one but there are some cosmetic kits out there from Galloway and Apex. I haven't fired a G43 but have no complaints on my G22. Hope you find something more to your liking but my stock 938 has a very target friendly trigger. Call Sig at 603-610 3000. They will be able to help.

#3 · (Edited)
Agree, the P938 has way to heavy a trigger for my taste.

A good trigger job can get a P938 trigger as light and crisp as a good 1911. My P938 is at a hair under 3 lbs, no creep, no overtravel. If you search posts here, you can find how to do this or have it done if you wish.

SIG won't do action jobs on them. I don't do commercial work. TheSigArmorer does work on them.

Swapping the plastic trigger for metal has no significant affect on trigger pull. Going to a weaker mainspring helps a small amount. Straightening most of the bend out of the ejector spring and some out of the sear can get you into the 5 lb range. To get lower requires taking some of the positive angle out of the sear (requires proper fixtures and tools unless you are gunsmith deity and can do it by hand eyeball - I use the fixtures), and/or thinning the sear/ejector spring from .025" thick to about .021" thick through the area that flexes. That spring is much stronger than need be, as SIG wants the trigger pull high and that's a major contributor.

One way to get a trigger overtravel stop on the P938. The little TIG weld is filed down to fit, and bonks against the mag release which acts as the trigger stop on the P938.

#6 ·
Purchased the pistol new in October of 2013. Not sure how to find a build date. I'll try a detail strip & lube, but I sincerely doubt that is going to make a dramatic difference. Will seriously consider the suggested trigger and trigger work. Would like to see it in the 4lb range. I feel like it's in the 8-10lb range now.

#8 ·
In a 938 of that vintage, you would have the original version of the mainspring housing and sear spring (unless you had it upgraded). The original design parts could wear and fail leading to poor feeling and functioning trigger mechanism.

Suggest that you review this thread (http://sigtalk.com/p238-p938-pistol...l-old-vs-revised-new-main-spring-housing.html) to familiarize with the wear issue and new part design.

#11 ·
It might, especially if the altered part was deemed by SIG to be causal to the warranty issue.

Robert Bourke "TheSigArmorer" is a Sig Armorer, so you're good there.

For other brave souls, who might do such work, the spare parts we are dealing with are inexpensive. Should warranty work be needed for something that is not easily field fixable, then the gun can be returned to stock before repair.

I've never returned a gun to a manufacturer, I'm 72 and have been shooting since I was a young teen.

I've done action jobs on a dozen P938's, one truly horrible example had a trigger pull of just over 12.5 lbs, my Lyman Digital scale just went into overload as the hammer released (spec for the gun is 7.5 - 8.5 to their QC guy must have a hellofa callous on his trigger finger to miss that one). Correcting the alignment of the sear/hammer engagement surface dropped the pull by 5 lbs!

These parts don't look to be hand fitted, nor are they machined after MIM moulding and heat treating (one of the things that keeps MIM parts costs down). Good quality or no (not trying to start the MIM debate again - I've done that before), anomalies can happen. If you are buying at a gun counter, and a trigger or whatever doesn't feel perfect, try to compare another of the model you're buying if you can.

#12 ·
I love the trigger on my P938. Beats the G43 trigger any day of the week! You should borrow or rent one, my guess is you will change your tune. Something about that G43 just really makes it bite into my finger. And while the 938 trigger is undoubtedly heavier the smoothness makes it feel lighter. If you haven't put rounds through one I would try it out first. If you just want another pistol and are ready to see what else is out there buy it and enjoy!

#14 · (Edited)
My P938 has never been back for work/repair since I bought it, so it's likely the older style MSH. When I get time, I'll take it apart and look for wear. In either case, it seems like it might be worth contacting Sig to see about sending it in for them to check out.

My 300 round count is a conservative estimate. I don't actually keep track of rounds fired. I'm thinking I've actually fired it at the range about 8 times. I know I burnt through three boxes of ammo the first week, but subsequently I've been shooting it occasionally with my carry ammo (1-2 mags for testing or expending older ammo) and shooting a mag or two while out with my other guns.

I stopped by my local shop today. They had an identical P938 Equinox (not sure the age, obviously) that felt considerably different than my own in terms of trigger pull. That said, I also felt the pull on a G43 while I was there and I have to disagree about liking the P938 better. I find the G43 trigger to be worlds better than my P938 trigger and preferable to even their P938 which feels much better than mine.

#15 ·
My P938 has never been back for work/repair since I bought it, so it's likely the older style MSH. When I get time, I'll take it apart and look for wear. In either case, it seems like it might be worth contacting Sig to see about sending it in for them to check out.
You can visually inspect the condition of the old style MSH without taking anything apart except for removing the magazine. Look at the aft surface of the mag well, about an inch or inch and a quarter up, you will see a 1/8" diameter round hole in the spring, the old style MSH has a 1/8" round "nub" that engages that spring hole - the nub should still be round and filling that hole, rather than worn at the bottom and showing a gap at the top. Good lighting helps.

#17 ·
You can visually inspect the condition of the old style MSH without taking anything apart except for removing the magazine. Look at the aft surface of the mag well, about an inch or inch and a quarter up, you will see a 1/8" diameter round hole in the spring, the old style MSH has a 1/8" round "nub" that engages that spring hole - the nub should still be round and filling that hole, rather than worn at the bottom and showing a gap at the top. Good lighting helps.
So it shouldn't look like this then...

#21 · (Edited)
Agreed! The sear spring is wearing the nub on the MSH and riding up in the fire control assembly. In my experience, that can cause a gritty/heavy feel in the trigger as the sear spring gets out of position relative to the ejector and sear.

SIG will replace the MSH and sear spring with the much improved GEN2 version. Can't say that you will be totally happy with the trigger pull after the repair, some folks ~coughbumpercough~ just think it's too heavy, but I'm confident that you will feel an improvement.

FWIW, I think SIG CS does a good job of communicating the customer report to the gunsmith but I still like to put my own note in the case when I send it in for repair.

#22 ·
Have an RMA. Need to swing by my storage unit to get the factory box to ship it in. Will see what it feels like when it comes back. Playing with it last night, I decided that the trigger pull feels inconsistent. Sometimes if feels heavier, sometimes not. Sometimes crisp, sometimes not. Kind of strange, because when I look inside while actuating it, I don't see the MSH moving.

#23 ·
The MSH does not move. What you are probably feeling is the ejector (which rotates when the trigger is pulled) scrapping against the edge of the sear spring instead of sliding smoothly against the sear spring; this happens when the sear spring moves up in the assembly as yours has done.

With your slide removed, manually depress the ejector and hold it down as you pull the trigger. Feel better?

#26 ·
You are probably right.

Though there's always the principal of "different strokes" (of which I am one!).

TheSigArmorer used to have a youtube video up showing a P938 with action job being accurate enough for a steel gong at 140 yards for so.

Don't know why the video got taken down, or why one would normally need to focus on defensive shooting at 140 yards - the fast shooting was impressive though :).

#27 ·
This is the first rapid fire target and first rounds at 10 yards with stock 938 trigger. Too much scatter but when it comes back I'm going to slow down a bit and see what happens. Triggers are like bourbons. Everyone has their own feelings about what they like. I am an experienced but average shooter and the stock trigger seems to set up well (for me) for EDC IMHO.

Attachments

#28 ·
After 100 rounds of live fire and a couple of hours of dry-fire, the trigger on my P938 is a really nice 5.5#.
I'm accustomed to "tuned" 1911 triggers, and the SIG is all I could have hoped for in a stock pocket pistol.
Someone above mentioned the Walther PPS as an option, and for a plastic-framed, striker-fired pistol, the trigger on that is very nice, too.

Resting on outline of IDPA Back-Up Gun box for size comparison.

#29 ·
Got the pistol back from Sig today. Gunsmith comments:

-REPLACED HAMMER & SEAR

-REPLACED/UPDATED PARTS:
-MAINSPRING HOUSING
-SEAR SPRING
-SEAR PIN
-MAG CATCH SPRING

Dry firing it a bit in the Fedex parking lot, it feels better. Been a while since I shot it though. Will take it to the range and put some rounds through it, but I'm thinking it'll be a welcome improvement. May still elect for an aftermarket trigger job, but would like to keep it stock if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.