SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sig wed site shows he trigger pull on the P938 as 7.5lbs. Has any one checked their gun? I checked mine when just out of the box. I got it at approx 7lbs. After my first range trip, 100 rnds, I now get 5.5 or 6 lbs.

If you check, what do you get?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Last I checked, mine is a hair under 3 lbs on Lyman Digital, measured center trigger and parallel w/slide.

I did not wait for break in as the trigger pull was too heavy for my taste.

Mods:

W Engineering trigger, modified trigger adding trigger overtravel stop.
Ball bearing trigger spring follower (removes gritty) w/lighter spring.
Thinned sear/ejector spring (from .025" to .021").
Removed most of bend in sear/ejector spring.
Trued sear/hammer engagement surfaces.
Sear positive engagement angle reduced to near neutral.
Added relief angle cut on sear (removes creep).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last I checked, mine is a hair under 3 lbs on Lyman Digital, measured center trigger and parallel w/slide.

I did not wait for break in as the trigger pull was too heavy for my taste.

Mods:

W Engineering trigger, modified trigger adding trigger overtravel stop.
Ball bearing trigger spring follower (removes gritty) w/lighter spring.
Thinned sear/ejector spring (from .025" to .021").
Removed most of bend in sear/ejector spring.
Trued sear/hammer engagement surfaces.
Sear positive engagement angle reduced to near neutral.
Added relief angle cut on sear (removes creep).
3 lbs is a little light for my liking for a carry gun. Even with the safety on,I like at least 5 lbs.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My 938 was a ridiculous 9# pull on my Lyman OOB. I straightened the sear/ejector spring resulting in a very nice 5.5# pull. After several hundred rounds, it's now settled at 5#.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think you are doing fine. Mine was 8+ initially. 1000+ rds later, W Eng. trig, minor tweaks and polishing, now 4.5lbs measured on an econo gauge. Consistent. I'm happy. Note: also changed to newer style MSH and spring.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does the W Eng trigger job shorten the reset ?

Anyone have a link to their web site or contact info, if they are the preferred smith to work over a P938 trigger I need to get in touch with them.

Thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
For my P238, which has the same trigger: 7 lbs. out of the box. After lubing the sear, and 1K rounds, it's 5.5 lbs. But take-up and reset are very short. Completely happy with those aspects of the trigger.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find it interesting that Sig spec sheet shows 7.5 lbs. trigger pill. Judging by the responses here , it is very common for that number to drop to 5 or 5.5 lbs. For me , 5 lbs is still ok. I prefer 7 lbs for a carry gun.
Dropping 2 lbs during break in seems to make their spec sheet inaccurate. IMO

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
For my P238, which has the same trigger: 7 lbs. out of the box. After lubing the sear, and 1K rounds, it's 5.5 lbs. But take-up and reset are very short. Completely happy with those aspects of the trigger.
About the same with my P238 .. was 7 1/2 out of the box and is about 5 3/4 now .. so seems the trigger settles in about 2 pounds lighter then NIB when broken in with 2-300 rounds .. mine has almost no take up and reset is less the 1/8th inch .. great shooter and very accurate ..

·
Registered
270 Posts
My new HD 238 has the strongest pull of any of my 238s or 938s. I estimate the pull at over 10lbs and makes shooting it very uncomfortable and not any where as accurate as my 238 SAS, Equinox.Tuxedo,or Nitro. It may break in. I only have about 600 rounds through it so far. I don't have any way to test it. I am about to make it a safe queen.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My new HD 238 has the strongest pull of any of my 238s or 938s. I estimate the pull at over 10lbs and makes shooting it very uncomfortable and not any where as accurate as my 238 SAS, Equinox.Tuxedo,or Nitro. It may break in. I only have about 600 rounds through it so far. I don't have any way to test it. I am about to make it a safe queen.
The Galloway reduced power spring made a big difference on my 938.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 938 has 250-300 of various though it. Out of the box it was not one of the really hard pulls I read so much about. I am guessing easily well over 7# but nice. This morning I got around to checking it...3 pulls all right at 6.3#. The grittiness can no longer seen and heard from across the room. Still there though. A polish on the lower end will come along soon. After first range trip I did fluff and bufff slide etc.

Before continuing I need to say: I am cheap. The aftermarket triggers for the 938 all look great and I know they are a popular item. I bought a beautiful stainless Colt 1911 with a black trigger that screamed it was all they had left in the shop that day...I changed it to a skeltonized adjustable aftermarket that required a LOT of fitting before my first shot was fired...it was an embarrassment to Colt in my view. After looking at the mechanics of the 938 I decided physics said no way an aftermarket trigger alone would improve pull....my opinion....my opinion alert.

Out came the sandpaper, wrapper around the thickest pen in the house, a little painters tape to protect from my fumble fingers, to all but completely remove the serrations on the stock trigger. I also slightly rounded the knife edge at the lower end and beveled front to side angles. That is some tough plastic, it took several minutes. The perceived pull dropped dramatically, operative word perceived. Much more comfortable. This is a "trick gun smiffin thang" that I have applied to a variety of triggers and some hammers. Worked on the 938 too.

The black trigger looks at home in the black frame so cosmetics are fine with me. None of my friends carry magnets. I do not expect the pull to drop much more with wear (quite surprised with the amount it dropped already in so little shooting) and will pay close attention on polishing to maybe lighten it a touch, but primarily for the scrunchies. I have no plans to change any springs at this time other than to snip a coil or two on trigger return spring to lighten takeup without sacrificing return on compression.

I really like the P938 and, since my pistols are more tools than anything, I have sold 3 since getting the Sig. Very versatile piece! The range is not a hobby or I would have bought a range gun....I do tinker. Nothing in this comment is anything but my opinion and I certainly support aftermarket sources. Ironically, In my case it was the praise of the various aftermarket triggers that prompted me to get out the sandpaper before I committed to throwing the stock one away...nothing to lose

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Does the W Eng trigger job shorten the reset ?

Anyone have a link to their web site or contact info, if they are the preferred smith to work over a P938 trigger I need to get in touch with them.

Thanks
I'd contact Robert Burke (The Sig Armorer).

W-Engineering's trigger only slightly changes reset - probably not so's one would notice. The biggest change comes with adding a trigger overtravel stop, which W doesn't have - and a few mfg's do.

The biggest "easy" reduction in trigger pull, taking it from 7.5 - 8.5 down to 5.5 lbs, is to straighten out the ejector/sear spring (search for my posts on this). To go lower than that, one needs to change the sear to hammer engagement angle to less positive.

Note when you pull the trigger on the gun, viewed from the side, you can see the hammer has to cam back, further compressing the main spring, in order for the sear to release the hammer - - this is why going to a lighter mainspring (hammer spring), reduces trigger pull slightly - but that's a back door approach. The best way, and not recommended without proper jigs to ensure alignment etc. is to take the sear closer to neutral.

My 3 lb pull is right for me, though it is lighter than typical carry recommendations. As when working on a 1911 trigger, adjusting the trigger pull up or down (once it has been lightened) is as easy as adjusting the sear/ejector spring by slightly bending it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think mine is slightly lower now, after 500 rounds, than when new.
I'm pretty certain it's no heavier than 5.5#, based on my finger educated by 1911s with 3.25# - 3.75# pulls.
It certainly has none of the "grittiness" or other negative conditions described by some reviewers; it's smooth and crisp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The biggest "easy" reduction in trigger pull, taking it from 7.5 - 8.5 down to 5.5 lbs, is to straighten out the ejector/sear spring (search for my posts on this). To go lower than that, one needs to change the sear to hammer engagement angle to less positive.

I've searched for these as best I know how. Can't find it. Any help locating them?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.