SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too was having an issue with the extended magazine releasing during firing - I have a P938 built in Jan 2017. I installed the 1911 mag catch spring from Fusion after shortening it by ~.18 inches (~4.5mm). So far, so good after 100 rounds.

Just like everyone, I used this spring:
https://www.fusionfirearms.com/mag-catch-lock-spring

Read on if you want more details. I made this thread to provide more detail about the upgrade (mod of you want to call it that) than other threads have.

I have attached pics for your reference.

Several coils were removed from the new spring in the process. This was necessary to shorten the spring's Compressed Length enough to allow the Magazine Catch Lock to fully seat into the Magazine Catch when you push the Lock into the Catch with a screwdriver. Otherwise, it is difficult to install back into the pistol.

I used a Dremel with a sanding barrel but I don't see why you can't clip the spring's coil with small diagonal cutters or the Dremel's cutting wheel attachment - these might be better so that you don't get that sharp point on the end of the spring coil like you do when using the sanding barrel or a belt sander.

Although the modified spring has a shorter Free Length than the factory spring, it has the necessary Preload to keep the magazine in place well during firing. It does take more effort to release the magazine. I don't notice much difference but my 12 year old does.

The coil on the Fusion spring is about .026 in where the stock spring measures about .020. This difference might be why the Fusion spring is stronger and is definitely why the free length needs to be shorter than the sock spring. I am assuming that the springs are made of the same material - probably stainless?

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I replaced the factory red spring [stiffer than stock] with a 1911 mag spring. Now there's no more issues with mag dropping..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too was having an issue with the extended magazine releasing during firing - I have a P938 built in Jan 2017. I installed the 1911 mag catch spring from Fusion after shortening it by ~.18 inches (~4.5mm). So far, so good after 100 rounds.

Just like everyone, I used this spring:
https://www.fusionfirearms.com/mag-catch-lock-spring

Read on if you want more details. I made this thread to provide more detail about the upgrade (mod of you want to call it that) than other threads have.

I have attached pics for your reference.

Several coils were removed from the new spring in the process. This was necessary to shorten the spring's Compressed Length enough to allow the Magazine Catch Lock to fully seat into the Magazine Catch when you push the Lock into the Catch with a screwdriver. Otherwise, it is difficult to install back into the pistol.

I used a Dremel with a sanding barrel but I don't see why you can't clip the spring's coil with small diagonal cutters or the Dremel's cutting wheel attachment - these might be better so that you don't get that sharp point on the end of the spring coil like you do when using the sanding barrel or a belt sander.

Although the modified spring has a shorter Free Length than the factory spring, it has the necessary Preload to keep the magazine in place well during firing. It does take more effort to release the magazine. I don't notice much difference but my 12 year old does.

The coil on the Fusion spring is about .026 in where the stock spring measures about .020. This difference might be why the Fusion spring is stronger and is definitely why the free length needs to be shorter than the sock spring. I am assuming that the springs are made of the same material - probably stainless?

Hope this helps

I changed to the Gen 2 catch and heavy spring OEM from Sig. Still had some drops and also occasionally stovepipes on the last unfired round out of the extended 7 round mag.
Then I had the same Fusion 1911 spring installed as above and took the gun to the range the next day.
I loaded up 5 rounds twenty times into my 7 round mags for a total of 100 rounds fired.
Flawless performance.
Thanks for the tip, johnnymoff!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Out of curiosity, what are you using to cut it? Don't feel like sending the gun off anytime soon if I don't have to.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Nice right up. Now I know what to do if mine starts to do this.
I sent one of my 938s to Sig on 07/31/18 got it back on Aug. 13th. Wife was having problem with the one she carries dropping the 7 rounder. Had this gun for sometime and over 15 hundred rounds through it really did not seem to be a problems before. That's with two week ends in there and two day shipping each way.
They replaced mag release and replaced 6 & 7 round mags.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Reactions: christak
1 - 8 of 8 Posts