SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow!, was I ever pleased. I ran 4 different ammo, HP and FMJ, totaling about 100 rounds. There was not one malfunction, hesitation or burp. The gun seems very accurate. Recoil very manageable for a small 9mm. I felt a little more comfortable with the 7 rnd mag in that I have large hands. However I did well with the 6 rnd. I have the P938 Extreme and found the grips to be very comfortable. At first, I thought they might be a little aggressive for shooting 100 rnds in one session.
I shot 2 hands, 1 hand, point and shoot and was pleased with the way the gun handled. Let a couple of range friends shoot and they couldn't believe it was a 9mm.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what brand ammo and how many grain? My 938 puked on 124 Hornady CD early on but after it's winter vacation trip to Sig, it has been nails. Let us know if you get a chance and congrats on getting such a solid shooter right out of the case.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just out of curiosity, what brand ammo and how many grain? My 938 puked on 124 Hornady CD early on but after it's winter vacation trip to Sig, it has been nails. Let us know if you get a chance and congrats on getting such a solid shooter right out of the case.
Opps! Should have included that in my original post.
I used---- PMC, Rem, and Fed all 115 gr FMJ
Hornady 115 gr FTX
Hornady 147 gr XTP

·
Registered
427 Posts
That is great, but I have to say you need to run quite a bit more ammo to know whats what. Now obviously you can do whatever you want.

I'm going to share my experience with my P938 and hopefully it will help you in some way. I'm probably coming up on 1500 rounds through my P938 SAS. After I sent it in to Sig it has been a lot more reliable. No malfunctions to speak of ever with any FMJ........that I recall other than light primer strikes on 124gr NATO. But HP ammo is a different story. Granted it has been way better since they polished the feed ramp, but not 100% reliable.

Now you may be thinking "what is this guy blathering on about". I'm getting to the point right now. I just ordered another batch of Federal 147gr HST and gave it a run. If I had stopped after 5 go rounds with my 6, 7, & 7 mags then I would have thought "sweet my pistol is fixed and will eat anything now!". But alas I went a bit further and found a failure to feed (nosedive under the ramp) and to me that is not good.

So everyone is different and will put however many rounds they see fit through their weapons to function test them. I've seen guys report they need to run a 1000 flawless rounds before they 'trust' a gun. I don't think that's overkill........I just can't really afford it right now.

So don't want to rain on your parade, but I did want to share some insight. And if it's any consolation you're doing much better than the guys who carry guns they have never shot!!! :eek:

There's my .02 that you didn't ask for :p

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Great to hear good news on a range report on a 938. I have a 938 Equinox that is awesome. Only problem I ever had was 115 Blazer. Only shoot 124 Lawman now from Target Sports because of the great prices. When I first started reading the threads I felt like a bought the wrong gun. I have about 300 rounds down range and never had an issue. I am gonna run 100-150 through next time out to see if I can make something happen. Congrats on your 938 n

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
I'm glad your 938 ran flawlessly. I bought one used a couple of years ago and have yet to experience a failure. I can't say off the top of my head just what all it's digested but it's been a smorgasbord of what was handy and what was cheap etc. I think there is something to be said for shooting the 938 plenty and often. It settles in. It speaks volumes that yours performed well right out of the box. Keep feeding it and happy shooting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good looking firearm and congratulations on a first day at the range! I prefer the 7 round magazines too. They just feel better.

I've only been shooting 115 and 124 grain FMJ target ammo, and various brands 124 grain JHPs. I'll have to try some of the 147 grain sometime.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I went to the range and ran about 150 rounds thru my 938. American Eagle 147 grain practice ammo, Sig Sauer
115 range ammo, Sig 124 grain range ammo, and lawman 115 grain range ammo. I had three problems and they were all me. When I went to slog shot the slide I did it half a**. The other 147 times no issues. I have a friend who is a LEO in Tampa and he is on me all the time about trying 147 grain ammo. I believe it is what they use. I think I am going to change to the 147 across the board. It was extremely fun to shoot and I was more accurate. I asked him about FPS and he said FPS doesn't mean anything is you can't hit your target. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. That's coming from a former marine and active cop. I like my 938 now more than I did before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went to the range and ran about 150 rounds thru my 938. American Eagle 147 grain practice ammo, Sig Sauer
115 range ammo, Sig 124 grain range ammo, and lawman 115 grain range ammo. I had three problems and they were all me. When I went to slog shot the slide I did it half a**. The other 147 times no issues. I have a friend who is a LEO in Tampa and he is on me all the time about trying 147 grain ammo. I believe it is what they use. I think I am going to change to the 147 across the board. It was extremely fun to shoot and I was more accurate. I asked him about FPS and he said FPS doesn't mean anything is you can't hit your target. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. That's coming from a former marine and active cop. I like my 938 now more than I did before.

So why has your shot placement improved with the higher grain ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
241 Posts

So why has your shot placement improved with the higher grain ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was told that 147 grain bullet is subsonic so there is less muzzle flip. The shot with the 147 grain felt "softer" than 124 grain and 115 grain. If that makes sense. My groups were tighter with my P 938 as well as my P320 Carry.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been using a mix of American Eagle 147 grain and Hotshot Elite 124 grain. I also have shot some Magtech 115 grain with my 938. All work well so far. The two times I had an issue, I realized I had not forced the magazine in hard enough. That's the one thing I need to get used to. It's harder to get the magazine to lock in than with my other guns. The 238 I just bought my wife has the same characteristic. But as long as you really make sure the mags are locked in, they're great.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just ran another 150 rnds today. all went well except for the take down pin backing out during the 2nd mag. Perfect for the next 135 rnds.
In spite of the one issue, I feel good to carry. Just got my Remora Clip IWB holster and it's on my hip.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just ran another 150 rnds today. all went well except for the take down pin backing out during the 2nd mag. Perfect for the next 135 rnds.
In spite of the one issue, I feel good to carry. Just got my Remora Clip IWB holster and it's on my hip.
Keep an eye on that. It happened with mine a time or 2 and from reading on here I came to the conclusion that certain bullet (nose?) profiles/tapers can hit the slide lock lever on their way up into the chamber. Which I have verified happens with my P938. I'm not saying you have that issue though. Some guys think that when the problem happens with the slide lock lever that they must have inadvertently pushed on it from the other side of the frame. Maybe that's it, but I personally have my doubts.

1 malfunction out of 250 isn't bad. IIRC that's about where mine was with my carry load of Hornady Critical Duty 135 +P.

I can't recall if I read this or the CS gal at Sig told me but basically if you run the slide lock lever dry (wipe off all oil and or grease from the lever's shaft it will help the frame retain it better. Haven't had an issue with mine again in the last 600-700 rounds so you could try that if it happens again in the future.

Besides my seeming gloom and doom carrying on about your pistol how does it shoot for you? Have you tried it out a little further back? These pistols can be fairly accurate even out to 25 yards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a 2tone with the r5 laser and extra 7rd mag, I've had 4 range trips, one field trip and never had a malfunction. I have used Remington umc, blazer 115, Speer personal defense, and my wife's favorite stand one armory -p chubbies. Now I only have about 1000 rounds through this pistol, but it is beginning to be my wife and my sons weapon of choice. Do I trust it? Yes. I carry it every where and have retired my lcp. If some are good and some are not, I am the lucky one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.