SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaned up and lubricated my new P938. The stuff that Sig put on this gun was sort of sticky. Very different from what came on my Legion.

Put two boxes of Magtech and American Eagle 124gr, two of Fiocchi and American Eagle Syntech 115gr and one box of Aguila 115gr +P. All target and cheap ammo.

Only issue was with one round of the American Eagle Syntech. Halfway through the magazine, the slide jammed and locked with what seemed like half the round in chamber. I removed the magazine and with force was able to pull the slide back and the round popped out with some damage on the tip. Put the round back in the magazine, racked the slide and fired the round with no issues. Probably classify it as a failure to feed. No other failures happened before or after that one round.

Overall I’m very happy with the performance of this pistol. I can get all fingers on the grip with the 7rd magazine and has a good trigger pull.

The cons….putting the recoil spring back on is a major PITA! Guess just gotta practice.

Because of the one failure with the Syntech round, I'm going to put another 250 rounds through it using various grain weight and this time include the defensive ammo that I plan to use with this pistol. I'm also going to include another box of the Syntech ammo. If I have no issues, then it will be ready to be put on duty.

Excellent pistol and great performance.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Using a cleaning rod will greatly help you reinsert the recoil spring. Insert through the guide rod hole in the slide from the muzzle end and into the recoil spring... That way the spring will not bend when it is compressed.
I am going to give that a try thanks for the tip

·
Registered
932 Posts
Congrats on your P938! It's a very nice little pistol.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Glad to hear you are liking your 938. It's a good shooter. I'm with you, best to have total confidence in a carry gun. Always check a failure to feed to make certain the bullet seating hasn't changed drastically before firing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Using a cleaning rod will greatly help you reinsert the recoil spring. Insert through the guide rod hole in the slide from the muzzle end and into the recoil spring... That way the spring will not bend when it is compressed.
I prefer to use a wooden dowel purchased from Home Depot or the like. That way if there is any slippage then you are less likely to mar the finish of the pistol.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I prefer to use a wooden dowel purchased from Home Depot or the like. That way if there is any slippage then you are less likely to mar the finish of the pistol.
Agree that the dowel is a better choice, but a cleaning rod works well and is generally handy (available) when reassembling. The dowel requires some forethought! :cool:

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I hope you remain happy with it! It's a nice looking little gun.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think you will be very happy. For myself, I usually fire about 100 rounds per practice session. Frankly, at 150, the gun begins to beat up on my strong hand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried it today and made installing the recoil spring much easier. Great tip...thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts

I'll have to give that a try, most times when I try and put that spring on it looks more like a game of twister...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to the range to finish breaking in the P938 with various types of 9mm ammo (American Eagle 124gr, Lawman 147gr, Fiocchi 115gr, Hornady Critical Defense 115gr and American Eagle Syntech 115gr). Had zero issues with all the ammo I shot until I started shooting the Syntech ammunition. Same ammo I had problems with during first 250 round break-in period several weeks ago. Needless to say, I had the same problem with the Syntech I had before. While shooting that ammo, I wound up pinchng one of my fingers with the magazine and started bleeding pretty bad all over the grip which I didn’t notice until I finished shooting the remaining Syntech ammo.

Two things I found out were:

1. The P938 does not like the Syntech ammo at all. The material covering the bullet is kind of sticky and my guess is its getting hung up on the barrel ramp. The round works great in my Legion and M&P9FS, but I won’t be using that ammo on my P938 again.
2. The grips that came with my P938 are absolutely designed to stay sticky no matter what type of liquid happens to be on it. In my case, blood did not affect the stickiness of the grip at all. Needless to say I’m impressed with the material the grips are made of.

I wasn’t able to shoot the Fiocchi 115gr and the Hornady Critical Defense because of all the blood on the grip. I cleaned it best I could but my finger just kept bleeding through the band-aid and started dripping on the floor. Hopefully I’ll finish shooting the remaining ammo next week. I’m going to order a box of HST and add it to the next outing.

I took the picture of bloody grip after I got home. Thought I had cleaned it at the range, but obviously I missed a spot. Washed right off. Definitely great grips.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cabelas sells 10 rd p938 mags for less than $20. Made by Pro mag.They have a bottom release button for ease of cleaning. I like them better than Sig mags.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cabelas sells 10 rd p938 mags for less than $20. Made by Pro mag.They have a bottom release button for ease of cleaning. I like them better than Sig mags.
I might buy one. I bought two for my M&P9FS and work great. Bought two for my G34 and they failed after a couple of range trips.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have the 938 Equinox nice guns. Keep an eye on the guide rod, it's two piece and unscrews. I lost one at the range right after I got the gun. Sig sent me another I had it within 3 days after calling them. Good service. Thats the only problem I have had with mine.........

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quite a few low rating on MidwayUSA, but return is easy especially i have a Cabela's in the area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts