SIG Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently I don't know how to follow directions. Or maybe I skipped over the pesky red warning triangle. But I flipped the safety on while cleaning the frame to clean the crud from under the levers. Now I am left without answers to two questions:
1. How do I know if the safety detent plunger separated from the frame?

2. I also noticed that the safety does not block the trigger from dropping the hammer from the "half cock" position. Can anyone with a P938 replicate this with theirs? With the safety on I can pull back to half cock and the hammer will drop with a trigger pull.

I am hoping that the subject of my second question is not the answer to the first.

With the safety on I cannot pull back to full cock just half. If the safety is off and I rack the slide and put the safety on the trigger has no effect on the hammer as designed. Same goes with manually full cocking the hammer and putting the safety on. The hammer does not drop with a trigger pull.

·
Premium Member
36,215 Posts
As I read it, I suspect you may need to get it checked.
I would suggest talking to Sig and they could walk you through it over the phone, or likely will offer to Fed ex it to them for a smith to check.
You need to know the safety is working correctly.
I have called several times mid week AM and gotten in immediately. I can see after weekend range shooting, Mondays would be busy.
From the Sig page.

Phone: (603) 772-2302 (press #3 for Customer Service)

Please be advised that our customer service phones have peak call times and you may wait several minutes for a representative if calling at these times.

Please note: If you are call about information or service on an existing firearm, please be sure to have the serial number ready for the customer service representative.

Peak Call Volumes
Mondays All Day and Weekdays 1pm - 5pm EST

Lightest Call Volumes
Weds-Fri 9am - 12pm EST

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Welcome to SIG Talk!

I'm afraid I don't understand your question #1.

Otherwise, you describe nothing abnormal. From the half cocked position, the hammer will appear to drop, however it is being engaged by the safety intercept notch. You can confirm this next time you shoot the gun at your range. With the gun loaded and pointed in a safe direction, from the half cocked hammer position and safety on, pull the trigger. Hammer should drop but no bang.

Enjoy your gun, I love mine!

·
Registered
259 Posts
1. How do I know if the safety detent plunger separated from the frame?

You just look at it. It is plainly visible, and shouldn't have come out of the frame, unless you over-rotated the safety, which can be done in that case, if not careful.

·
Registered
24 Posts
with hammer down all the way and safety on it is normal to only be able to pull to half cock, not to full. If you then pull the trigger with safety on and half cock it will fully lower the hammer. The hammer will not drop with safety on and full cock, this is normal. That is why it is called "cocked and locked".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to SIG Talk!

I'm afraid I don't understand your question #1.

QUOTE]

Malicious, the manual states that if you engage the safety with the slide removed it "will (not may) cause the safety detent plunger to separate from the frame." Not knowing if this is an internal or external part I wasn't sure if I doomed myself to a trip back to Sig.

At the same time, being new to this gun, this was also the first time I experienced the hammer drop at half cock with the safety on. Thought I messed up my best friend.

Thank you all for your responses. I will still call Sig this week just to confirm everything but I am feeling much better thanks to all of you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts