SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a P938 this past week and hopefully breaking it in tomorrow. Depending on how it shots and feels, I might put it on my HD rotation.

Question is would you use it for HD too or just CCW?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ramnj, not sure what HD stands for but I am carrying my P938 everyday it replaced my Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact. Very happy with the P938 no problems at the range and it carries wonderfully. I am currently using a Tagua 4 in 1 IWB holster, waiting on a 1791 IWB holster to come in.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Good for you. Practice shooting a lot before using as Home Defense weapon!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've used a Glock 43 as a HD gun. Mostly because that's what I was carrying at the time and I typically just use my carry gun as my home defense gun.

Based off of that, I don't see why the 938 couldn't serve double duty. If you're comfortable with the capacity and you're proficient with it then I say go for it.

People use revolvers and double barrel shotguns as HD weapons and your 938 holds more rounds and is probably faster to reload.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
In my mind the P938 is primarily a back up gun to be used as a last line of defense. Whether that be on the street as a pocket carry gun, or in the home as a back up/teapot pistol is up to you. It is not, in my mind, a primary defense gun. I understand that some use it as a primary carry gun, and that is fine if you are satisfied with that, but as it relates to my thought process, I would not use a gun, any gun, the size of a P938, as a primary defense gun. It is a dedicated back up at best. YMMV

Reactions: 34817 and Czechvar

·
Registered
83 Posts
My typical edc is a 938, but as I also have a 226 and 228 I don't usually use it for HD. If it were all I had, I'd be fine with it. 7+1 capacity, cocked and locked.
I have the Extreme with Siglite night sights. BTW all my sigs have night sights.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CAF and bumper

·
Registered
367 Posts
I could absolutely use the 938 as my only pistol for all self defense. I shoot it very well and it carries so easily I can always have it. The capacity should be enough for almost any scenario a law-abiding civilian faces. Imagine how good you would be if you just shot one pistol only.

I think today many guys think we need a few pistols for CC, one for HD, one as a range gun, and then a 22 pistol for the cheaper ammo. Well, a lot could go to ammo with 5 or 6 less guns. I do this too and have too many really. The fact of the matter is I just like having different guns. I would feel confident if I only had the 938 though.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Imagine how good you would be if you just shot one pistol only.
You'd better be awfully good considering the average shootout consists of at least eight rounds expended in under two minutes. How good do you imagine the average law abiding citizen is under that kind of stress?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I always have a sidearm of some sort on my person or within reach. That's to buy time to get to the 870 tactical if I'm not by it. No point in relying on a handgun if you can use a long gun.

·
Registered
216 Posts
GCBHM I have no problem with your opinion in fact the more the merrier however, where did you get the statistic that says the average gun fight last two minutes and eight rounds are fired? Opinions are fine but if facts are going to be stated please provide reference. Thank you.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
GCBHM I have no problem with your opinion in fact the more the merrier however, where did you get the statistic that says the average gun fight last two minutes and eight rounds are fired? Opinions are fine but if facts are going to be stated please provide reference. Thank you.
Current FBI statistics determine that the average gun fight occurs within a distance of no greater than 21 feet, lasts no more than an average of two minutes, with no more than eight rounds fired. There are conflicting reports, but the general consensus is that which the FBI reports.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Current FBI statistics determine that the average gun fight occurs within a distance of no greater than 21 feet, lasts no more than an average of two minutes, with no more than eight rounds fired.
Could you please provide a link to the FBI statistics recording distance, length of time, and rounds fired during an assault met with self-defense?

Thank you

·
Registered
216 Posts
Current FBI statistics determine that the average gun fight occurs within a distance of no greater than 21 feet, lasts no more than an average of two minutes, with no more than eight rounds fired. There are conflicting reports, but the general consensus is that which the FBI reports.
Unfortunately current FBI crime statistics do not support your conclusion. The FBI UCR only looks at police officer involved incidents. I would recommend you either look at the FBI UCR or this article https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/article/what-do-fbi-statistics-really-say-about-gunfights/ not trying to be a dick just think that when we as a group discuss issues of self-defense we should be as factual as possible.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You'd better be awfully good considering the average shootout consists of at least eight rounds expended in under two minutes. How good do you imagine the average law abiding citizen is under that kind of stress?
Under two minutes? Yeah, more like under 5 seconds.

At least eight rounds? What a crock. Carry on Gecko45

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think we get too wrapped up in what platform we're spitting lead from or even the caliber of the lead. In an EDC or HD situation, none of us can know what form the threat will take, how far away or close the threat will be, or even how many threats we will confront. A CCW size and caliber is not really decided based upon the hundreds of different scenarios you could encounter otherwise we'd all be walking around strapping ARs for the worst case scenario. It is driven by how big a carry you want to sport in all clothes/climates, your budget, and how comfortable it is to carry EVERY time you leave the house. Best HD weapon is a shotgun. Always has and always will be. Grabbing a bedside pistol might work for most HD scenarios but with home invasions and knock knock break ins becoming so prevalent, I have completely rewired my preps for HD without getting into details. Bottom line is if you are smart enough to carry anything as an EDC then you are way better off than the alternative. Carrying nothing is no bueno. Given the choice between nothing and a Derringer, I'll take one please. A particular carry gun is personal preference, reliability, caliber, size and yeah even looks are part of the decision. I don't crash on anyone else's choice because we're lucky we live in America and have the freedoms we have because most of the rest of the world has been disarmed. Our buddies at the UN are working hard with our anti 2A buddies to do just that so keep up the good work on this forum and in our own world's. Be safe with our weapons and be dangerous to the bad guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my mind the P938 is primarily a back up gun to be used as a last line of defense. Whether that be on the street as a pocket carry gun, or in the home as a back up/teapot pistol is up to you. It is not, in my mind, a primary defense gun. I understand that some use it as a primary carry gun, and that is fine if you are satisfied with that, but as it relates to my thought process, I would not use a gun, any gun, the size of a P938, as a primary defense gun. It is a dedicated back up at best. YMMV

So what is your primary carry gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
While I would use my 938 as a home defense gun if it was the closest thing on hand, I wouldn't purchase one as the only option. I see quite a few home invasion stories lately that have more than one intruder, and a small 7 round gun wouldn't be my first choice to tackle that threat.

With that being said, there are lots of inexpensive double stack guns out there that can also take a light or laser (if you want one). Sig P320, G19, M&P all good choices, as are whats currently on my nightstand - P226 and a 20 round mag.

I'd save up and buy a second HD gun when funds allow. I'm also coming from a place where we don't have mag restrictions. If your limited to 10 rounds anyway, upping the anti by 3 rounds from a 938 might not be all that helpful. Unless it is.... lol.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Not for me. The 938 is a great Summer gun or when you just cannot carry anything larger. My HD gun is an HK45 with SF XC1 light, 10 rounds of 45ACP and a few extra mags in a gunvault. Another one is an 870 Police, but that's in the big Safe.

We live in a super low crime area, really nice working families...Not too worried about it, but I still would want a full size with some capacity.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts