SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New unfired P938 in need of reliable range(FMJ) & defensive(JHP) ammo. I want to start with ammo it likes & allows easiest cleaning. Brand name, grain, etc. recommendations appreciated. Best online or local retail company source(s) of bulk purchase ammo recommended. Great forum! Thanks in advance to all who respond!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well I can tell you what I do. I run gold dots, HST's and critical duty/defense through my guns to see what it likes best. HST has a micro version to try also for this gun.

Practice ammo, idk I reload. However the price of 9mm has come down enough that it's about a wash when on sale.
I avoid steel and aluminum case cause I reload but you can do whatever you want.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My 938 has about 1200 rounds through it and I've used all of these without issue... The Speer Lawman seems to be the dirtiest of these, though it isn't a problem when cleaning the 938.

FMJ:
Winchester White Box 115 gr
Federal Champion 115 gr
CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr
Speer Lawman 124 gr
CCI Blazer Brass 124 gr

JHP:
Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr
Federal Premium HST 124 gr
Federal Premium HST 147 gr

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/

·
Registered
823 Posts
SD ammo? Federal HST or Winchester Ranger-T.
Heavy bullets seem to lose less velocity in our short barrels.

Range ammo? Something that matches the weight and pressure and approximates the bullet shape of your SD ammo.

One cost effective solution that works for me:
147gr HST std pressure, look for the 50 packs online. (ShootingTheBull410 got about 20fps from +P in his P938, not worth it in my opinion)
147gr American Eagle

·
Registered
555 Posts
500 rnds through mine. Hornady Critical Defense for HP. I've run at least 1 box of Fed., Blazer, PMC, Fiochi, Herters, Rem., & Win.and Sig. all 115 gr FMJ & all w/o issue and none of these were especially dirty.

·
Registered
376 Posts
For range rounds no one has mentioned freedommunitions.com. Their re-manufactured (remans) ammo is cheap and loaded to standard pressure. Wait for sales or reduced shipping. First-time customers get free shipping.

For Home Defense and Personal Defense (HD,PD) I recommend non-plus P Hornady Critical Defense or Federal HST.

Reactions: jrsdws

·
Registered
414 Posts
For range ammo I use the cheapest 124 grain FMJ I can find, and yes I have used steel case and aluminum cased ammo with no failures of any kind. For carry I use Federal 124 grain HST's. Basically for practice I am cheap :).

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My carry ammo is Federal LE HST 147 grain. Since I bought the p938 Equinox new almost 3 yrs ago I have out well over 1,000 widely assorted rounds through the gun without an incident. Early in the ammo was whatever was available and cheap at Walmart - usually 115 gr Perfecta or Federal aluminum case. Most recently it gets fed a steady diet of my own 124 gr reloads. I have also fired CCI shot shells (snake shot) through the gun and it fires and cycles just fine.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I shoot Blazer brass 124 grain for target. I carry Federal HST 147 gr for carry ammo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I can tell you what I do. I run gold dots, HST's and critical duty/defense through my guns to see what it likes best. HST has a micro version to try also for this gun.

Practice ammo, idk I reload. However the price of 9mm has come down enough that it's about a wash when on sale.
I avoid steel and aluminum case cause I reload but you can do whatever you want.
Ditto....everything he said.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I limit ammo selection to 9mm only for use in my P938.

I seem careless in selecting ammo more carefully. It eats them all at the range, just as it should. I tend to favor Gold Dots for carry in my pistols....mostly because of availability and I like the why the name rolls off the tongue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.