SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PROBLEM RESOLVED (SEE POST 14)

I got the new P238 Hammer Pivot Pin and Left Side Safety from MGW expecting a 'drop in' install to have only a LEFT safety on my P938. No problems getting the originals out or putting the new ones in. BUT, the safety was not able to rotate to the safe position. Put the originals back in ... everything works fine.

Has anyone run into the need for any adjustments to the new parts when doing this? Please don't jump in telling me how wrong I am to do this ... I've read all the comments/opinions on the subject.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
.........Has anyone run into the need for any adjustments to the new parts when doing this?.......
Yes, the new safety needs to be fitted (filed to work properly) to the guns hammer. If you are not familiar with how to do this, and it sounds like you are not, you should let a gunsmith fit it for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Wish I had known about possible fit issues prior to purchasing, but it's good to know.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I got the new P238 Hammer Pivot Pin and Left Side Safety from MGW expecting a 'drop in' install to have only a LEFT safety on my P938. No problems getting the originals out or putting the new ones in. BUT, the safety was not able to rotate to the safe position. Put the originals back in ... everything works fine.

Has anyone run into the need for any adjustments to the new parts when doing this? Please don't jump in telling me how wrong I am to do this ... I've read all the comments/opinions on the subject.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
I purchased the P238 left side safety for my P938 from SIG and the install was easy; a drop- in, and it worked without any fitting.

This was definitely NOT like a 1911 safety replacement where there seems to always be some filing needed.

If a gunsmith is not an option maybe you can return the parts to MGW and order from SIG.

PS: I thought I was the only one these days who did not like ambi safeties.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Mine dropped in perfectly, but I had to do a little polishing for ease of movement. With both of them off compare them as figure out the problem. Make sure the P938 pin is the right pin for a P238. Been a long time but I seem to remember a slight difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased the P238 left side safety for my P938 from SIG and the install was easy; a drop- in, and it worked without any fitting.

This was definitely NOT like a 1911 safety replacement where there seems to always be some filing needed.

If a gunsmith is not an option maybe you can return the parts to MGW and order from SIG.

PS: I thought I was the only one these days who did not like ambi safeties.
I hate the ambi safety for several reasons. It's ridiculous that you can't find a higher end gun without them anymore.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I hate the ambi safety for several reasons. It's ridiculous that you can't find a higher end gun without them anymore.
My Ed Brown EVO does not have the ambi safety (see below).

Actually my two older Wilson CQBs also are left side only safeties.

Like utility rails, which I also don't prefer, most manufacturers are forced to at least offer these options on most of their guns. But most high end makers either offer models without or you can ask for left side only. I don't like to pay for options I don't want.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, the new safety needs to be fitted (filed to work properly) to the guns hammer. If you are not familiar with how to do this, and it sounds like you are not, you should let a gunsmith fit it for you.

I agree. I had the same issue when going from ambi- to unilateral safety. My gunsmith was able to get it squared away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FWIW, the parts that I got were OEM in SIG packaging, not aftermarket. The left side safety DID drop right in, but would not rotate. I believe that some fitting may be required.

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
A quick question for you.

With the new safety lever installed and the hammer cocked, will the safety engage if you manually pull the hammer back (further than the cocked position)? If "yes", how much further do you have to pull the hammer back for the safety to engage?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem resolved: I sat on the porch on this nice sunny day and very slowly and carefully, compared the mating surfaces and dimension of the new safety lever with the ambi lever. They appeared to be the exact same! OK, reinstall the new left side safety with the ambi hammer pin - lever moves just fine... add in lever detent spring - still moves fine. Time to check the hammer action. Hammer won't cock in safe mode, will in active mode. ???? What was wrong with my thinking ... KICK MYSELF IN THE BUTT!!! I knew I could eject a live shell when it was in Condition 1 to clear the chamber with the safety on or off. Where I WASN'T thinking straight was that in Condition 1 the hammer is already cocked, so the slide moves freely. If the hammer is NOT cocked and in safe mode, the slide will not cycle and the hammer will not cock. Sorry to everyone that took time to think about and answer my original post. I'm good now with a left side only safety working just fine!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts