SIG Talk banner

P6 DIY "action job"

1500 8
Looking for maybe a video of how to smooth up a P6, put in a Wolf #17 lb hammer spring but it's still fairly rough. What surfaces to clean up etc for a smoother trigger press. My coworker loves the improvement but I know the difference. Any help appreciated.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,029 Posts
Honest Henry, bblr is right about the newer mainspring assemblies being smoother. It's possibly the strut rubbing against the mainspring seat, is what you are feeling as rough. Your could "polish" the lower leg of the strut, and the "interior" of the seat, that the strut passes through, but be careful and not "enlarge" the hole, just get rid of any "roughness"!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Definitely update the hammer strut/spring assembly as suggest above.

There's an excellent guide to what to polish within your P6... the original parts inside will show you!

The trigger bar itself will already be showing wear through the black coating. Simply polish up those areas a bit more.

Assuming you're comfortable with basic disassembly of the trigger, trigger bar, hammer, and sear, then you're good to go.

The nose of the hammer sear/sear notch area benefits from light polishing... LIGHT polishing. Use a very mild metal polish such as Flitz or Noxon and polish by hand. No dremel or anything like that.

Your polish efforts in the above areas should be surface only, no material removal. The goal is to make parts shiny, not change the shape or take off any corners.

Next, the biggest improvement comes from pulling out all the hammer, sear, safety lever, and trigger bar parts and cleaning them thoroughly. Perfect time to clean the interior of the frame and get out that multi-decades' worth of dirt. Once everything is thoroughly clean, re-install with copious amounts of grease (NOT oil)... TW25b, Lucas Gun Grease, good stuff like that. No Froglube. Get every pivot hole and the side of every part that touches everything else.

Just cleaning out all the grit/dirt and lubricating these often-ignored parts will make the pistol operate a lot more smoothly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bottom is the standard assembly in the P6. Middle or top will get you a better feel. I use the top one.

Which model new strut assembly am I looking for, P225?
Will I need to make modifications to any other parts when I make the switch?

Thanks

·
15,029 Posts
Which model new strut assembly am I looking for, P225?
Will I need to make modifications to any other parts when I make the switch?

Thanks
Either one should work, but you must also get the mainspring, as your current one will be too long. What bblr initially meant, was that you didn't need to go to a lower weight aftermarket spring, for smoother function.

As far as any other modifications, not that I am aware of, except for possibly the grips, as I haven't tried this on the P6/P225. On the P220/P226 the factory grips need to be changed to the appropriate style used with each Mainspring assembly. As the P6/P225 only existed with he metal seat style, there was only one style of grips I am aware of, other than the custom wood versions.

·
15,029 Posts
Is that polishing guide posted on these forums?
He was referring to wear marks on the parts already installed. Where ever parts would rub, the bluing will be worn. He is stating to polish those areas of "steel" parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.