SIG Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried a buddy's Romeo Zero on my XL a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with the dot. Took it right off because it's completely plastic and I just didn't like that. Prior to that, I'd only shot iron sights on handguns since the '80s. Fell in love with the dot almost instantly and decided to order a Trijicon RMR Type 2 for my XL. I went with that red dot because of a video review I watched from Sage Dynamics and was impressed with how tough it was. Hammering concrete with it sold me.

Anyhow, I went to the indoor range today and zero'd the Trijicon. No issue there. No issues hitting the bullseye repeatedly at 25 yards. Almost effortless.

As far as concealability. No issue there either. I was concerned about that because it's a larger red dot optic meant for full size handguns, but it was easy and comfortable to conceal on the XL. Love the larger sight picture it gives as opposed to the Trijicon RMRcc. The RMRcc is small, roughly the same size as the Romeo Zero. Yes, on the P365XL the Type 2 has some overhang on the sides, but because of the way the Maple Leaf adapter plate is shaped it still looks good on the gun IMO. The adapter plate does raise the sight up a little. There's no way to use iron sights, but the optic is known for being so reliable, I'm not concerned.

I do have a green laser on board the handgun, for redundancy. It's pretty much only for night time use though. The O-light is a whole nother story if anyone wants to hear about that. I'm not super happy with it because it doesn't attach firmly so the laser can't be zero'd super precise. Other than that I like it.

I'm using an MIE productions hybrid holster custom made for the olight on the XL with a tactical developments rail adapter. I've got the gun shoved as far down in my pants as the holster will allow. I still have enough purchase left to get a good draw. I also have an appendix carry holster arriving on Wed from MIE Productions, so I'll try that out and see if I like it. I love 3 oclock carry though and will probably always use that. But I like different choices.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice. I want to get my hands on one; particularly one with the safety. I would like a safety, but only if I can shoot it with a high thumb hold and ride it like a 1911.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this the RMR “CC” version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope that’s a RMR Type 2. It’s bigger, but I like it. It doesn’t affect conceal ability or comfort carrying, so I like that its bigger. Since I’m new to dots it’s slightly easier to pick up the dot in the larger window.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update, ok I've been to the range a couple times with this new RDS. The first time I installed the Trijicon RMR I didn't use thread locker and I didn't use a torque wrench and torque to spec of 11 inch lbs. Well the screws came loose and I had to redo the installation this time correctly. Ok, after re-zero now we are good to go. The screws are not loosening up anymore, but I can still get them out when the battery dies, because I used blue threadlocker.

The Baldr Mini light/laser combo is complete total garbage. Well I should specify the quick disconnect mount is complete garbage. The light/laser is ok. So I was shooting at the range today and the light flew off my gun. It's the quick disconnect mount system. It was never tight and today the light flew off. What a waste of time and money.

I ordered a Streamlight TLR-8AG this afternoon to replace the Baldr. I also had to order a new custom holster to fit the TLR-8. Talk about a major dent in the ol wallet. Ouch. Live and learn. Don't make my same mistakes. Avoid the Baldr Mini at all costs. It's total garbage because of the mount.

P.S. I did write to O-light directly to try to make them aware of how bad the quick disconnect was, but they largely ignored me. Either that, or they didn't understand my English being that I was in communication with mainland china.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchase this same set up with intentions of it being my new EDC. P365XL, Trijicon RMR, with Maple Leaf adapter plate.

This is my first red dot and I have to say, it is awkward af. I’m really having a hard time finding the red dot. I feel like I have to aim the barrel way down in order to bring the red dot into view.

I started walking the dot down on the elevation, but decided to wait until I get some rounds through it to zero it in.

It just feels like the barrel is at an extreme downward angle to see the dot.

How much elevation adjustment did you have to do to acquire the dot?

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
10,920 Posts
Very nice set up. Congrats.

Reactions: BangSnap

·
🎖US Army Veteran Premium Member
2,506 Posts
I tried a buddy's Romeo Zero on my XL a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with the dot. Took it right off because it's completely plastic and I just didn't like that. Prior to that, I'd only shot iron sights on handguns since the '80s. Fell in love with the dot almost instantly and decided to order a Trijicon RMR Type 2 for my XL. I went with that red dot because of a video review I watched from Sage Dynamics and was impressed with how tough it was. Hammering concrete with it sold me.

Anyhow, I went to the indoor range today and zero'd the Trijicon. No issue there. No issues hitting the bullseye repeatedly at 25 yards. Almost effortless.

As far as concealability. No issue there either. I was concerned about that because it's a larger red dot optic meant for full size handguns, but it was easy and comfortable to conceal on the XL. Love the larger sight picture it gives as opposed to the Trijicon RMRcc. The RMRcc is small, roughly the same size as the Romeo Zero. Yes, on the P365XL the Type 2 has some overhang on the sides, but because of the way the Maple Leaf adapter plate is shaped it still looks good on the gun IMO. The adapter plate does raise the sight up a little. There's no way to use iron sights, but the optic is known for being so reliable, I'm not concerned.

I do have a green laser on board the handgun, for redundancy. It's pretty much only for night time use though. The O-light is a whole nother story if anyone wants to hear about that. I'm not super happy with it because it doesn't attach firmly so the laser can't be zero'd super precise. Other than that I like it.

I'm using an MIE productions hybrid holster custom made for the olight on the XL with a tactical developments rail adapter. I've got the gun shoved as far down in my pants as the holster will allow. I still have enough purchase left to get a good draw. I also have an appendix carry holster arriving on Wed from MIE Productions, so I'll try that out and see if I like it. I love 3 oclock carry though and will probably always use that. But I like different choices.

View attachment 370922
View attachment 370923
View attachment 370924
View attachment 370925 View attachment 370926
Thanks for your post, it shows that your set up is pretty concealable - more than I would have thought. Thanks and I hope the O-light folks make good on the mount. It must have sucked to have it come off like that.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I recently purchase this same set up with intentions of it being my new EDC. P365XL, Trijicon RMR, with Maple Leaf adapter plate.

This is my first red dot and I have to say, it is awkward af. I’m really having a hard time finding the red dot. I feel like I have to aim the barrel way down in order to bring the red dot into view.

I started walking the dot down on the elevation, but decided to wait until I get some rounds through it to zero it in.

It just feels like the barrel is at an extreme downward angle to see the dot.

How much elevation adjustment did you have to do to acquire the dot?
You have to get out of that mindset. When my dot was on point I felt like the pistol was pointing way low. Kinda looked from a side angle,
looked way low. It was not low.
Easy way for me is to load a laser cartridge and set my dot.
Dont try to adjust the dot in any manner related to the iron sights.
They are two completely separate sighting systems with the only thing in common being they are mounted on the same pistol. That fouls up new dot users more than anything IMO.
I built basiclly a training pistol with no irons at all on it to help me learn the dot after much reading here from users having issues learning the dot.
The logical deduction for me was the muscle memory of the irons was hampering the learning of the dot.
After doing it I am sure I was right. After shooting with irons 40 years and having them with the dot it would have been a different/longer learning curve.
Awesome range pistol turns out. So much so I ordered a custom build set up the same, no irons at all. Sleek and clean.
Had I not had the resources to build a test gun I would have pushed my front sight off, learn what I dont know then reinstall it.
I would post some pics but Im sure everyone is sick of lookin at it as well as hearing this. I feel like Ive typed it 800 times. :ROFLMAO:
A simple search tho will find it for ya.

Reactions: bbakermai

·
Registered
66 Posts
Update, ok I've been to the range a couple times with this new RDS. The first time I installed the Trijicon RMR I didn't use thread locker and I didn't use a torque wrench and torque to spec of 11 inch lbs. Well the screws came loose and I had to redo the installation this time correctly. Ok, after re-zero now we are good to go. The screws are not loosening up anymore, but I can still get them out when the battery dies, because I used blue threadlocker.

The Baldr Mini light/laser combo is complete total garbage. Well I should specify the quick disconnect mount is complete garbage. The light/laser is ok. So I was shooting at the range today and the light flew off my gun. It's the quick disconnect mount system. It was never tight and today the light flew off. What a waste of time and money.

I ordered a Streamlight TLR-8AG this afternoon to replace the Baldr. I also had to order a new custom holster to fit the TLR-8. Talk about a major dent in the ol wallet. Ouch. Live and learn. Don't make my same mistakes. Avoid the Baldr Mini at all costs. It's total garbage because of the mount.

P.S. I did write to O-light directly to try to make them aware of how bad the quick disconnect was, but they largely ignored me. Either that, or they didn't understand my English being that I was in communication with mainland china.
The olight is a great light... issue is it isnt made for the 365 which is why you had to buy an aftermarket part to get it to work. The mount is great on my Glocks and any other gun that has a picatany rail. If it doesnt fit stock and you have to slap a bunch of stuff on the gun to make it work, I would stay clear. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The olight is a great light... issue is it isnt made for the 365 which is why you had to buy an aftermarket part to get it to work. The mount is great on my Glocks and any other gun that has a picatany rail. If it doesnt fit stock and you have to slap a bunch of stuff on the gun to make it work, I would stay clear. Just my two cents.
I use an Icarus Precision grip module. No adapter required. Besides, the issue I was having had nothing to do with how secure the baldr was to the gun. The light was loose to the qd mount. You have to understand it’s a two piece light. I’d have loved it if it would have worked properly. Hopefully mine was a unique problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts