SIG Talk banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
DocS

How did the Mporting go on the XL? Is it as effective as it was on the std 365?
I am close to doing it on my XL now that funds are available. Did you send in the guide rod and spring with the slide or just slide and barrel?
I still haven't gotten around to sending it in...
Thanks for the reminder!

When I sent the P356, all they needed was the slide and barrel.

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not trying to stir the pot again, but I have a question about the cut and the finish...

I understand they use a mon-invasive, non-violent means of cutting. The top and bottom surfaces are untouched and still coated as they originally were.

However the metal is still being cut. Isn't the inside edge/depth exposed?

If the exterior is Nitron coated, and then a piece is cut away, then the depth of the metal is now an exposed ring of steel (on the inside) correct?

I'm super interested in this, but I'd like to understand the situation before committing.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
From the MagnaPort Website: https://magnaport.com/company.html

Mag-na-porting is accomplished with Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM), a surgically precise method of removing metal. Dielectric oil is flooded over the area of the barrel that is to be "cut," and an electrode. When voltage is applied, the oil is ionized, which establishes a continuous flow of electrons between the electrodes and the barrel...an electrical arc. It is the electron flow which does actual "machining" of the trapezoidal ports.
The patented Mag-na-port process assures the gun owner of a smooth incision of exact dimension. There is no damage to the metal surrounding the ports; no machining marks, as would be the case subsequent to a drilling operation. The finish is similarly protected, as it is blended into the metal exposed by the erosion process during the EDM operation.

I've carried my MagnaPorted P365 nearly everyday since I received it back from them. I always carry IWB and haven't experienced rust or corrosion of the barrel or slide...

I'm planning on sending my wife's P365XL Barrel and slide out this week.

Oh, they also do offer re-finishing. Contact them (they're very responsive) and explore their offerings.

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
16 Posts
From the MagnaPort Website: https://magnaport.com/company.html

Mag-na-porting is accomplished with Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM), a surgically precise method of removing metal. Dielectric oil is flooded over the area of the barrel that is to be "cut," and an electrode. When voltage is applied, the oil is ionized, which establishes a continuous flow of electrons between the electrodes and the barrel...an electrical arc. It is the electron flow which does actual "machining" of the trapezoidal ports.
The patented Mag-na-port process assures the gun owner of a smooth incision of exact dimension. There is no damage to the metal surrounding the ports; no machining marks, as would be the case subsequent to a drilling operation. The finish is similarly protected, as it is blended into the metal exposed by the erosion process during the EDM operation.

I've carried my MagnaPorted P365 nearly everyday since I received it back from them. I always carry IWB and haven't experienced rust or corrosion of the barrel or slide...

I'm planning on sending my wife's P365XL Barrel and slide out this week.

Blessings,
DocS
Let's say you bake a cake, and cover the whole thing in icing.

And then your wife gets up the next morning and cuts a piece, right out of the middle using a super precise magnetic laser electro-beam.

You're going to have exposed, un-iced cake where she removed the piece, right?

Can you take some macro pics of the cuts, specifically the hole and area where the piece was removed?

·
Registered
404 Posts

And then your wife gets up the next morning and cuts a piece, right out of the middle using a super precise magnetic laser electro-beam.

Can you take some macro pics of the cuts, specifically the hole and area where the piece was removed?

I would be interested in seeing some macro pics as well. Tried to find some on-line, but came up empty.

·
Registered
186 Posts

I'll try to get some pics posted in a bit.

I have a Super Black Hawk that they did for me over 20 years ago. No corrosion or problems with it.

I included their statement earlier regarding their method of cutting and the oil forming some kind of corrosion resistance. Whatever it it, it seems to work.

The cool thing is that you can always have them coat it with something, or you can do it yourself...

Blessings,
DocS

61 - 70 of 70 Posts