SIG Talk banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I believe that's the case...

No, I'm not planning on refinishing the slide or barrel.
I had my Super Blackhawk for years as a hunting gun. It was blued and never had issues with corrosion. The P365 slides are stainless, so I don't expect to have issues with it either...

They do offer refinishing, but I'm good the way it is...

Precision Custom Plating and Engraving are partnered up with Magnaport. They offer a 15% discount for your first pistol...

Magnaport offers a Military / Veteran discount for their services.

Blessings,
DocS
Looks cool. But IMO, not fishing the cuts in the slide or barrel comes off as uncompleted work/shop. But that's just me.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Looks cool. But IMO, not fishing the cuts in the slide or barrel comes off as uncompleted work/shop. But that's just me.
Found it...

Mag-na-porting is accomplished with Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM), a surgically precise method of removing metal. Dielectric oil is flooded over the area of the barrel that is to be "cut," and an electrode. When voltage is applied, the oil is ionized, which establishes a continuous flow of electrons between the electrodes and the barrel...an electrical arc. It is the electron flow which does actual "machining" of the trapezoidal ports.

The patented Mag-na-port process assures the gun owner of a smooth incision of exact dimension. There is no damage to the metal surrounding the ports; no machining marks, as would be the case subsequent to a drilling operation. The finish is similarly protected, as it is blended into the metal exposed by the erosion process during the EDM operation.

I would say they look at finishing a complete barrel/slide an added unnecessary cosmetic expense added to the process. At least this way customers can choose. I recall speaking to them that because of the process refinishing was not required regardless of the metal or finish.

Another thing, this is where mag-na-porting is superior to typical porting because they are not "drilling" into the barrel and disturbing the rifling.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So Dirtyboy, what's not finished about the job Magnaport does?

The cuts in the slide and barrel are precise. Adding any finish is not necessary (and if something like ceracoat were added, it would likely just erode in short order, because of the gasses)...

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
So Dirtyboy, what's not finished about the job Magnaport does?

The cuts in the slide and barrel are precise. Adding any finish is not necessary (and if something like ceracoat were added, it would likely just erode in short order, because of the gasses)...

The finish. Again thats me. The are precise and look good. But to me, its an unfinished product.
Nothing wrong with unfinished stuff. But to for me, a shop should have the in house option of providing a finish.
Yes, I have seen SS issues in several different types of products.

Kinda like seen builders making nice Jeep bumpers. Sold raw and people love that. But a shop that can not offer a “finished” product is not for me.
I was going to see about getting my NDZ barrel ported. But if they can’t finish, will find a more complete shop.

Your happy, right? All that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
186 Posts
I didn't say they can't refinish... I just don't think it's necessary to put a "finish" on their work.

I had a nice snarky comment to come back with, but I'm trying to be polite.

The OP wanted to explore porting vs comps. I pointed out a company who's been among the leaders of the industry for 40 years and my experience (years ago and more recently this week) with their work and reduction in muzzle flip...

I didn't want/ask for refinishing, because as I indicated, I didn't think it was necessary and it was not important to me. If you like things done a certain way, I get it and If I had asked for something to be done and it wasn't, I'd be ****** off... That wasn't the case here...

Out of curiosity, why were you considering getting a ZEV barrel ported... I thought you couldn't feel any difference in muzzle flip between a ported barrel and a non-ported one...

Ok, done being nice. By my nature, I'm a grumpy old grunt and when poked, poke back. Magnaport is a very well established and respected business. I will continue to use them for my porting needs. a few on here wanted to know my experience with them and porting in general.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I didn't say they can't refinish... I just don't think it's necessary to put a "finish" on their work.

I had a nice snarky comment to come back with, but I'm trying to be polite.

The OP wanted to explore porting vs comps. I pointed out a company who's been among the leaders of the industry for 40 years and my experience (years ago and more recently this week) with their work and reduction in muzzle flip...

I didn't want/ask for refinishing, because as I indicated, I didn't think it was necessary and it was not important to me. If you like things done a certain way, I get it and If I had asked for something to be done and it wasn't, I'd be ** off... That wasn't the case here...

Out of curiosity, why were you considering getting a ZEV barrel ported... I thought you couldn't feel any difference in muzzle flip between a ported barrel and a non-ported one...

Ok, done being nice. By my nature, I'm a grumpy old grunt and when poked, poke back. Magnaport is a very well established and respected business. I will continue to use them for my porting needs. a few on here wanted to know my experience with them and porting in general.
I am not being polite? Ok. You affiliated with them? Again I expressed MY opinion, that's all. Hell even said I got a quote from them, just in case.
yes, leaving the cuts raw, regardless in my opinion looks unfinished. that's me.

Again, like I said if you are happy, that's all that matters.

I have been through this with my products and others in the bike industry. At least on bikes, things like this never turn out well when "unfinished."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Magnaport does what I think you're looking for...
https://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html

DocS
Magnaport is all that and a bag of chips!!!

Awesome.

Excellent communication and customer service. I've talked to them at least a dozen times in the last few weeks.

So far I have 200 rounds at the range and 100 rounds in a match and it is fast fast fast. (11,962 Total Rounds on this P365XL)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Very nice @ Dr. Chad!

I recently purchased a Sig P365 with Romeo Zero sight and will be sending it in for Magnaporting as well!
Great pics by the way!

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great thread! I do have a 365 which I have converted to the 365 XL grip and really like it. I also have a Shield 9mm 2.0 that I use for EDC and thinking about sending it to Magnaport for their porting job. Magnaport's price seems very reasonable plus I'm a veteran so that discount helps.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I am planning on sending my XL slide and barrel in. The slide has a Sheild Red dot installed, should it be removed and should the complete slide assembly, slide barrel, recoil spring , striker assembly be sent, or should it be stripped bare.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am planning on sending my XL slide and barrel in. The slide has a Sheild Red dot installed, should it be removed and should the complete slide assembly, slide barrel, recoil spring , striker assembly be sent, or should it be stripped bare.
When I had my P365 MagnaPorted, I sent the Slide and Barrel only.
I'm planning on sending my XL Slide in soon and will be removing my Romeo Zero sight and recoil spring prior to sending it in...

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
445 Posts
When I had my P365 MagnaPorted, I sent the Slide and Barrel only.
I'm planning on sending my XL Slide in soon and will be removing my Romeo Zero sight and recoil spring prior to sending it in...

Blessings,
DocS
Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have not...
I was about to send it, then got interested in adding a Holosun 507K to my P365 (the Magnaported one), so I'm carrying the XL while I'm waiting to get my slide assembly back from Fabricated Arms.
As soon as it gets here, I'll be sending the XL Slide and Barrel off to MagnaPort (after I remove the Romeo Zero sight).

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also have a Hellcat that I'm interested to do the same. It's snappy, I can manage it, but, after like 100 rounds, my hand tendons are hurting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For what it's worth, I've had two pistols ported by them (over a decade apart) and the result in my book is still fantastic. It does what they said it would...

My wife can shoot my P365 without limp wristing causing FTF. This is why I'm going to send her P365XL in to them for porting.

Compensators work well, but add length to the pistol. I'd rather not do that to a carry gun.

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like that they have two nozzles pointed at an angle, not straight-up.
With the one nozzle straight-up mod you would have to tilt the gun at about 45 degrees to avoid the blast going upwards.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I agree, send it to magnaport . I sent a full size p320 45acp for porting last week. Only $167 with only a 7-10 day turn around . Mines due back this week . Smokin deal and you’ll have a pistol unlike most others .
748C5EE6-440E-4DBE-9583-906EF4EBABE6.jpeg
I’ll post pics once build is complete . Also as far as Parker mountain machine I built a jttc compd 9mm this winter. They definitely know what they are doing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm just going to pick up my P365XL w/ factory optics this afternoon.
Paid a bit more than I care to admit (to my wife especially), but in today's gun market... I am lucky I could get one.

·
Registered
743 Posts
For what it's worth, I've had two pistols ported by them (over a decade apart) and the result in my book is still fantastic. It does what they said it would...

My wife can shoot my P365 without limp wristing causing FTF. This is why I'm going to send her P365XL in to them for porting.

Blessings,
DocS
DocS

How did the Mporting go on the XL? Is it as effective as it was on the std 365?
I am close to doing it on my XL now that funds are available. Did you send in the guide rod and spring with the slide or just slide and barrel?

41 - 60 of 70 Posts