SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I received confirmation that the Slide and Barrel were delivered on Tuesday afternoon.
a Few minutes ago, I got a call, indicating that the Slide and Barrel were complete and ready to ship!

They offer a 15% Military / Veterans Discount as well!

I'm really looking forward to getting this back and heading out to the range :)

Blessings all,
DocS (Rudy)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I received confirmation that the Slide and Barrel were delivered on Tuesday afternoon.
a Few minutes ago, I got a call, indicating that the Slide and Barrel were complete and ready to ship!

They offer a 15% Military / Veterans Discount as well!

I'm really looking forward to getting this back and heading out to the range :)

Blessings all,
DocS (Rudy)
Wow, that was fast, anxious to see how it looks and hear how it performs.

Thanks for the updates.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ports are not really recommended for these small guns. Close quarter shooting can cause burns and such. Never been a fan, no real difference

·
Registered
445 Posts
Oddly enough the manufacturers disagree hence the 365 SAS and the Shield Performance series.
I am on the fence about this one. I can see where the port on a small gun might cause problems, but then again I don't plan on my hand ever being placed over the top and front area of the slide. Don't want to shoot myself in the hand. A hand placed thusly would also obscure the sights. Whether or not the manufacturers agree or disagree about usefullnes of ports, is a moot point, probably just another marketing step for increased sales.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Not agreeing or disagreeing about the usefulness or issues ports provide (pro vs con).

Regardless of why they are doing it we have two major manufacturers actively selling ported minis so my point is they wouldn't be among those recommending against porting minis, thats all.

·
Registered
186 Posts
A long time ago, I did some side Gunsmithing and have ported a few pistols myself...

There were a few shops specializing in porting small pistols, because the muzzle flip made them pretty snappy and hard to hold onto...

I started on pretty inexpensive pistols, namely, a KelTec P3AT (380 ACP), then a KelTec P11 9mm with a 40 S&W slide / barrel.

I had already planned to debur the slide (slide melt) and refinish, so thought porting would be a cool project.

I made two ports on the top of the slide and barrel on the P3AT. After I finished the project and found that it did indeed help with muzzle flip and made it easier to shoot this little pistol, without it wanting to jump out of my grip...

I opted to do two small ports at positions 10 and 2 on the P11 slide and barrel.

If you've never fired that little pistol with 40 S&W rounds, it's a little firecracker! The ports worked on that great too...

I know some have said how they cause night blindness if shot in low light conditions.
When I used to shoot IDPA, we did "Night Shoots" at an indoor range at very low light...
I used ported and unported guns and to tell you the truth, I couldn't tell the difference in flash from them. I think there's a bit more report from the ported pistols, but I can live with that...

Of course, anyone's welcome to disagree with me. This is my perception.

As I've mentioned, I did have a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag with Magnaports and I think it reduced Muzzle Flip...

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have and have only fired my two ported guns. One is a Marlin 1895 Guide gun, 45-70 and I fired it just before dark one day, fire everywhere, but did not cause any temporary blindness. The other is a S&W Classic Hunter, cannot remember exact model number, but barrel is a little over six inches with a single factory port in front of the front sight. It does tame muzzle flip quite a bit. THis gun has an unfluted cylinder, 44 Mag and rather heavy barrel, so is heavy and easy to handle to start with.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
From some of the studies I've seen where they lock the gun onto a device that measures the muzzle flip, the S&W 9mm Shield EZ Performance Center reduced the recoil 30% and I believe the numbers on the P365 SAS are very similar.

There's also many reviewers and the like that have done night videos with ported barrels and say it's no difference then shooting a non ported gun. There's no blindness.

......and to my knowledge no one has ever reported blasting there self in the face or someone else in the face with a ported gun.

Josh

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got the slide and Barrel back a few minutes ago. I think it looks good and is what i
I expected from Magnaport. I have plans Saturday, but hopefully can get out to the range Sunday after church to shoot both and post my opinion...

I'm really looking forward to some range time, but due to the ammo situation, will likely stick to range ammo for the comparison...

Blessings,
DocS

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Looks like they just cut it and didn't refinish the slide? Do they offer a Cerakote refinishing?

Those cuts on the barrel are large, I bet you'll notice a difference.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I looked back at the earlier posts. Eleven days turnaround, which included shipping both ways is fantastic.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So, I took both P365s out today... the Magnaported one and the one without ports...

I shot 200 rounds through each. I loaded mags for both pistols, shot the ported first, followed by the non-ported, then alternated...

I did notice faster follow-up shots and less muzzle flip from the ported one.

I think I'll be sending my 2nd slide and barrel in this week...

On a side note, my wife was shooting her S&W EZ 9mm. She kept limp wristing, causing failures to feed. When she shot my ported P365, no failures to feed. Then she shot my non-ported P365 and again limp wristed, causing Failures to feed...

To me, it was worth the extra money to port the P365...

Blessings all,
DocS

·
Registered
186 Posts
I know this is a ported barrel thread, but there is good comp info here. Thanks!
Comps absolutely do work and I'm a fan, but I didn't want to add a comp on a small carry gun. The reason I love the P365 for carrying is that it's small. Adding a comp adds both length and weight...

When I used to shoot competitively, I didn't care how big the gun was. It was carried in an OWB holster, for a short period of time...

I primarily carry using an IWB holster, for many hours per day...

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
743 Posts
DocS not that its a huge deal to me but I'm curious, did you notice if the magna-ported 365 was noticeably louder than the 365 without?

Outside time away and the price is there anything you don't like or bothers you about the magna-ported 365?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I thought the price was reasonable, it does as advertised and they're turn around was quick! I believe 11 days total (from the day I shipped until I received my Barrel/slide).

I was wearing Howard Leight electronic muffs (good hearing protection), and to be honest, never really thought to listen to the difference...

On other rifles and pistols I've used that were ported or compensated, there was a bit louder report, but I truly didn't notice it yesterday and the others at the range (a few friends we were shooting with out there) didn't mention anything...

To me, there really aren't any negatives I can think of...
I know most people don't get their pistol and want to spend more money on it, but for me, it was worth the money and time sending it in...

I'm probably going to send the other in as well as my wife's S&W EZ9mm...

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks, I've been toying with Mag-na-porting a firearm for many years, unfortunately before I get around to it I move on to something else (squirrel) and sell it before porting.

If I recall they say the process doesn't require the slide or barrel be refinished to prevent future decay (rust), have you read/heard similar?

Are you thinking of refinishing the slide or barrel?

·
Registered
186 Posts
If I recall they say the process doesn't require the slide or barrel be refinished to prevent future decay (rust), have you read/heard similar?

Are you thinking of refinishing the slide or barrel?
I believe that's the case...

No, I'm not planning on refinishing the slide or barrel.
I had my Super Blackhawk for years as a hunting gun. It was blued and never had issues with corrosion. The P365 slides are stainless, so I don't expect to have issues with it either...

They do offer refinishing, but I'm good the way it is...

Precision Custom Plating and Engraving are partnered up with Magnaport. They offer a 15% discount for your first pistol...

Magnaport offers a Military / Veteran discount for their services.

Blessings,
DocS

21 - 40 of 70 Posts