SIG Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am very interested in a p365xl as my edc. I am currently running a glock 19 with venom vortex and one thing I really like is having my back up supressor sights just in case. The holosun 407k/507k have a built in rear sight and I am just curious how practical it is. Is the front sight level with it qhen you have a shot lined up or is the front sight higher then the notches when your shot is lined up? I'm hoping someone with first hand experience can help me solidify my decision to run this set up or confirm its no good.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
699 Posts
You'd want a taller front sight for true BUS. I had to aim a little high to use it. The rear sight on the HS507K is a couple of cat ears sticking up. Probably wouldn't be too hard to just paint a nice vertical line on any other RDS and use that in place of those cat ear built in rear sights.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
One member here referred to the notch sight's usefulness as about equal to a small vertical white line on the back of an optic- meaning not very useful.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'd want a taller front sight for true BUS. I had to aim a little high to use it. The rear sight on the HS507K is a couple of cat ears sticking up. Probably wouldn't be too hard to just paint a nice vertical line on any other RDS and use that in place of those cat ear built in rear sights.
Any idea what size front sight post would be needed?

·
Registered
683 Posts
The HS407K/507K notch height is the same as RomeoZero; so the sight picture is about the same as what SIG designed for the XL.

I practice occasionally with the Red Dot off; having decent results inside 7 yards.
But honestly If I was in the rare situation of a gunfight, and by even more rare coincidence my Red Dot were to go out; with my old eyes I probably couldn't see that rear notch anyhow. I'd probably be point shooting.

The only good thing is that the Red Dot has trained my muscles to be consistent with my presentation and pistol alignment.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So looking at ameriglos website they make a .300 inch and .350 inch front sight post. I'm leaning towards the .300 but what do you guys think? In another post on this forum a guy measured the notches of the 407k to be .325 high. I assume the 507k is the same dimensions. On my glock the rear supressor sight is about .030 taller then the front and its dead on at 15 yards.

·
Registered
255 Posts
....So looking at ameriglos website they make a .300 inch and .350 inch front sight post. I'm leaning towards the .300 but what do you guys think? In another post on this forum a guy measured the notches of the 407k to be .325 high. I assume the 507k is the same dimensions. On my glock the rear supressor sight is about .030 taller then the front and its dead on at 15 yards....
If this is for a carry gun, your holster may not like the taller front sight.
Just something to consider.

·
Registered
683 Posts
So looking at ameriglos website they make a .300 inch and .350 inch front sight post. I'm leaning towards the .300 but what do you guys think? In another post on this forum a guy measured the notches of the 407k to be .325 high. I assume the 507k is the same dimensions. On my glock the rear supressor sight is about .030 taller then the front and its dead on at 15 yards.
Just a suggestion: Dawson Precision has a sight height calculator on their website. Shoot it with your normal sight picture at a given distance. Measure the difference between your POA and POI and the calculator will tell you exactly what height difference you need. Dawson will custom make it if you can't find one very close. :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am still awaiting my 507k. Honestly I would think the "backup" iron sight at defensive distances would be more for windeage than elevation purposes.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I am still awaiting my 507k. Honestly I would think the "backup" iron sight at defensive distances would be more for windeage than elevation purposes.
I'll admit, the rear 'notch' on either the Romeo Zero or HS407/507K's are pretty small and hard to see. They work OK if you have TIME to line them up, but something that stands out better like the vertical markings that came on my Vortex Venom lined up with theSR front sight of my CZ P-07 works pretty good in a pinch to keep the POI center mass on a target. I'm surprised the new RMRcc didn't come with these markings as they have NO notch. Maybe Trijicon is worried about getting sued by Vortex. :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts