SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I hope everyone is doing well. I am new to the forum. I joined to get input on one question specifically. I own and carry a standard p365MS every day. I love the shape of the grip, the sights, and the way it shoots for it's size. It is just a tad bid small for a primary edc for me personally though. The short barrel lends itself to allowing the grip to flop over the beltline when carrying AIWB. I am also tired of it having a totally different feel from my DA/SA home defense/larger carry gun. I have debated either replacing the sig as a carry gun with something more similar to my larger pistol or replacing the larger pistol with something more similar to the sig. I think that I have decided on the latter.

The X-Carry model is really what I wanted to consider instead of the X-Compact, but it looks like that is no longer sold, so I am now comparing the X-Compact to the p365XL. I want something larger than the p365 for carry that could secondarily be used as a bedside pistol. What are your opinions on these two models?

Also, I prefer iron sights to optics currently, but like the flexibility of being able to mount an optic in the future. I hate the new rear sight plate on the X series. It makes the rear sight really thick. Is there any way around this? I wish Sig would have dovetailed the X series sights like they do on the AXG models rather than incorporating them into the plate.

Thanks for your input today!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
It comes down to a couple of things, how does it fits your hand? How well do you shoot said choice and how well can you conceal a larger pistol? (ok three things) I would give the 365XL a hard look, the question you have to ask yourself do I feel lucky? Whoops disregard that! LOL Seriously tho can the 365XL do both for you? Asking a pistol to do double duty means that you have to make compromises will the 365XL conceal well and be a little small for bedside duty or will a larger gun be good for bedside duty and to large for concealment?

·
Registered
544 Posts
No experience with the Xcompact but I had a M18 briefly with optic that I carried some but didn’t like it much. I’ve been carrying a P365XL with a TLR-7A for almost a year now I’m a Divito holster, the last 6 months with a Holoson 507K as well. I also have a couple regular P365’s that I carry once or twice a week with a Raven vanguard clip. It is tippy as you mentioned but a good belt makes all the difference. If I wear a regular belt, nylon belt, or dress belt it almost seems like it wants to fall out of my pants sometimes, but with my Beltman belts it’s perfectly secure.

The P365XL carries great and is a well equipped pistol, but I decided to carry one of my G19’s today with TLR-7A in a Tenicor Certum3 Lux and except for slightly (and I mean ever so slightly) more grip print, it’s actually lower profile in my pants and more comfortable to carry than the P365XL which is strange. The holster is just simply skinnier in the waist due to how they design it. It has me wondering if I even want the in betweener P365XL in my rotation vs just running a G19 for EDC and P365 for deep concealment. It doesn’t make much since when the full frame gun actually carries better due to the holster. I love the P365XL and it shoots great for its size, but it still doesn’t shoot like a full frame gun.

So I guess my advice would be to go for the full frame Xcompact with the right holster and see if you have any desire for something in between after carrying it for a while.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you are generally happy with the fit and performance of the P365 but find it just a little too small, I think you will find the XL to be a perfect fit. A couple of things you might try before forsaking the P365, though:

• extend the grip, either with a 12-round magazine or with an XL grip module.
  • fatten the grip, either with a Hogue Handall sleeve or a few thicknesses of grip tape.
  • try a slightly longer holster, like one made for the XL. Your 365 will fit it perfectly, you’ll just have some empty space at the muzzle end. However, the slightly-longer holster may aid in keeping it from flopping when carrying AIWB. Alternately, a wing or a wedge (or both) might also help.

The XL and the XCompact aren’t all that far apart. The XCompact is a little wider, so if you’re finding that the P365 family grip frame is just too narrow, the XCompact may be just the ticket.

Both are outstanding carry pistols. Handle both if at all possible before deciding.

Or, you know, you can submit to the Signess like the rest of us and just get both. ;)

Reactions: fotog and jthrelf

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,722 Posts
My P320 X-Compact is one of my all time favorite Sigs and is my EDC. I owned a P365, P365SAS and P365XL and prefer the X-Compact over any of the P365's.

Reactions: MultiSync

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Having owned both, the most noticeable thing to me is that the P365XL feels a lot slimmer than the X-Compact, and is thus very easy to conceal, while not giving up much in terms of capacity if you run the flush-fit 12-round mag (of course, you can also use the 15-round mag, and then you're not giving up anything in terms of capacity vs the X-Compact). I felt the same about the P365 as you do - I always found it a little too small for my liking, and the XL is perfect for me. The X-Compact got traded in, as I found it to be more chunky than I like for IWB - if I'm going to carry something size of the X-Compact, I'll just carry my P229 RXP (or something else comparable).

Either would work just fine as a nightstand pistol, although the rail on the X-Compact will accept more options straight away.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It comes down to a couple of things, how does it fits your hand?
For me a pistol that doesn't feel comfortable in my hand is like walking with a rock in my shoe. It's very distracting and I don't need any distractions if I need to shoot.

The P365 with a 10 rd mag was uncomfortable to hold and I did NOT feel confident enough with it to be shooting it. The 12 round magazine made a comfortable fit in my XL hands. HOWEVER, the magazine would pinch my hand and I didn't like the feel of the magazine moving about in my hand, and there was a chance that my hand would interfere with magazine reloading in a panic situation. So those were distractions that I didn't need.

The XL grip module didn't pinch and it felt very solid in my hand. The potential of my hand interfering with a magazine swap was eliminated. However, the sharp corner on the rear bottom of the grip, and the front lip of the magazine dug into my hand and was like a rock in my shoe. But rounding the corners and front lip of the magazine with some sandpaper was all that was necessary to make the grip feel comfortable in my hand. Now the grip fits into the cup of my hand like a glove. At first glance most people wouldn't notice that I had made any modifications. But it made a huge difference to me.

But the P365X felt floppy in my hand when the magazine as near empty. bigbooper asked if anyone had added weight inside the hollow of the P365XL grip module. I looked inside the grip module and sure enough there was an unused cavity. I was up for an experiment, so I made an impression of the cavity, made a mold from the impression, and then cast a 1.5 oz lead weight. I glued the weight inside the cavity and now it feels more well balanced in my hand.

My P365X now feels like an extension of my hand. If I had the extra money I'd by a P365XL. But I don't think that I'd want a larger handgun. If I need anything larger I'll reach for a rifle or a shotgun.

But everybody's hands vary. What fits my hand perfectly may be horrible for the next person.

But things don't always fit perfectly off of the shelf. A pair of pants may not fit just right until you get them altered. Sometimes you just need to makes a few modifications.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Also, I prefer iron sights to optics currently, but like the flexibility of being able to mount an optic in the future. I hate the new rear sight plate on the X series. It makes the rear sight really thick. Is there any way around this? I wish Sig would have dovetailed the X series sights like they do on the AXG models rather than incorporating them into the plate.

Thanks for your input today!!
My P320 RXP XCompact has dovetailed rear sights. The included plate covers only the opening left if I remove the Romeo1Pro, leaving the sights. Call Sig Customer Support about dovetailed rears on the XCompact. There is a small notch on the front of the tall sights. The plate would sit in front of sight group. See X Series slide at the link

XSeries (Optic Ready) Slide Assembly - 9MM - Stainless 4.7

Since you might want to add an optic later you might be better off buying the RXP version and removing the optic. That way you won’t need to also add tall sights if you add the optic later. Pricey decision though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No experience with the Xcompact but I had a M18 briefly with optic that I carried some but didn’t like it much. I’ve been carrying a P365XL with a TLR-7A for almost a year now I’m a Divito holster, the last 6 months with a Holoson 507K as well. I also have a couple regular P365’s that I carry once or twice a week with a Raven vanguard clip. It is tippy as you mentioned but a good belt makes all the difference. If I wear a regular belt, nylon belt, or dress belt it almost seems like it wants to fall out of my pants sometimes, but with my Beltman belts it’s perfectly secure.

The P365XL carries great and is a well equipped pistol, but I decided to carry one of my G19’s today with TLR-7A in a Tenicor Certum3 Lux and except for slightly (and I mean ever so slightly) more grip print, it’s actually lower profile in my pants and more comfortable to carry than the P365XL which is strange. The holster is just simply skinnier in the waist due to how they design it. It has me wondering if I even want the in betweener P365XL in my rotation vs just running a G19 for EDC and P365 for deep concealment. It doesn’t make much since when the full frame gun actually carries better due to the holster. I love the P365XL and it shoots great for its size, but it still doesn’t shoot like a full frame gun.

So I guess my advice would be to go for the full frame Xcompact with the right holster and see if you have any desire for something in between after carrying it for a while.
Thank you (Everyone) for your input so far! Redneckbmxer24, How do you go about switching from the sig to a g19 and back again? I find that the grip angle change throws me off a little or I would just do the same. the 365 points naturally for me so if I grab a glock I have to re-train my mind. That's really the main reason I feel like I need to get a larger sig if I'm going to EDC a smaller one. The new Walther PDP or the CZ striker pistols look like they may have a grip angle similar to the p365 as well, but the glock definitely doesn't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My P320 RXP XCompact has dovetailed rear sights. The included plate covers only the opening left if I remove the Romeo1Pro, leaving the sights. Call Sig Customer Support about dovetailed rears on the XCompact. There is a small notch on the front of the tall sights. The plate would sit in front of sight group.

Since you might want to add an optic later you might be better off buying the RXP version and removing the optic. That way you won’t need to also add tall sights if you add the optic later. Pricey decision though.
I wish they sold the RXP without the optic. I may give them a call about that, although I expect the would tell me just to build my own out of a p320 FCU (and spend an extra 400 bucks). Thanks!

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
P320 XCompact (not RXP)
I wish they sold the RXP without the optic. I may give them a call about that, although I expect the would tell me just to build my own out of a p320 FCU (and spend an extra 400 bucks). Thanks!
My pleasure. RXP just means with optic (RomeoXPro). Look again at the P320 XCompact (link above) and call Sig or your LGS about the dovetail.

Reactions: hauki

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thank you (Everyone) for your input so far! Redneckbmxer24, How do you go about switching from the sig to a g19 and back again? I find that the grip angle change throws me off a little or I would just do the same. the 365 points naturally for me so if I grab a glock I have to re-train my mind. That's really the main reason I feel like I need to get a larger sig if I'm going to EDC a smaller one. The new Walther PDP or the CZ striker pistols look like they may have a grip angle similar to the p365 as well, but the glock definitely doesn't.
I always have had the same concern but anytime I grab a Glock and press it out it still always goes where it’s supposed to. Probably just from shooting them for 15+ years and putting 1/4 million + rounds through them over that period of time.

On another note, it may be worth grabbing an XL holster and an XL grip module and trying them out. That will give you an idea of whether it carries well for you and if the additional grip works. You’ll be out $20-$40 selling them at a loss if you don’t like them vs having to sell a gun. The holster you’d need anyway and you may want to keep the XL gripon your P365 to keep mags compatible between them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm firmly entrenched in the SIG metal frame DA/SA de-cocker camp, P226s & P220s, etc. My EDC is a single stack P225A1. If round count is an issue, than a P229 might be the answer. A while back I did however purchase a P320 X-Compact out of curiosity, as a possible future EDC. It's my only striker gun, (I agree with you about the sight plate!) It took me along time to get comfortable with it compared to when I added the P225. I'm still not ready to carry it. If I was doing it over again, I would look closely at the P365 XL. Don't discount red dots. Once again, it takes a little time but with practice they do improve things especially if your eyesight is an issue (or will be in the future). I'm there and they definitely help. A lot of good advice above.

My house gun and EDC are very similar and that's a good thing, for me. Get what works for you and what you are most comfortable with.

Reactions: fotog and hauki

·
Registered
105 Posts
Doc, an option to consider for the X Compact is the replacing the existing slide with a Pro Slide from Sig. The rear sight is NOT part of the optics plate on the Pro Slide, you can buy without the optic.

I've tried the 365 and 365 XL and prefer the X Compact over both BUT each of us has different preferences, try before you buy.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I guess I’ll chime in here too. I’m in the pro Xcompact camp. Now in fairness I’ve never owned the p365xl. I did own the normal p365. I’ll just leave that as “I sold it pretty quick” then picked up the XCompact. For me that was the right decision!! I bet I would like the XL a lot more than I did the standard 365. I did hold one at my LGS. Still didn’t feel as balanced and fitted as my XCompact. I simply love my XCompact. But…that’s me

·
Registered
502 Posts
I own a P365X and Z320 X-Compact. I only got the Zev because I wanted a rear dovetail with a RMR cut. When I costed out getting a P320 slide milled, it came out to almost the same price (got a nice discount on the Zev) - I also like the gray coating. Otherwise the Z320 is just a blinged standard P320 X-Compact.

Both shoot great but I prefer carrying the Zev because of the larger capacity and grip. Fits my hand better. However I use my P365X for warm weather when I need my firearm as thin as possible.

I say get both and see what you like then sell what you don’t want to keep (you shouldn’t lose much if any money). However I think you’ll find both are worth keeping.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an older 320 compact (not sure of the difference between the x compact), a 365 and a 365xl. For me personally, the 365xl is the perfect choice of the three. Better grip and capacity than the 365 and less bulky than the 320. All are fantastic but I'm very minimalist when it comes to my carry weapon. I don't want or use lights, lasers or picatinny rails. I just want something that works well and is easy to carry.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts