SIG Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone shaved the P365XL frame tail to a similar profile as the P365? I could just try it but I don't know how the frame was molded. I would prefer to remove the additional protrusion but like the grip length of the P365XL and don't want to switch to the P365 frame.

P365XL Tail Profile:

P365 Tail Profile:

Any constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have been considering getting an XL grip, just to get that extended tail - LOL.

Just curious, but why don't you care for it ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
The only thing that I can think of is the possible voids because the polymer is thicker there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The holster I have is for a P365 and I appendix carry. I think this protrusion might extend beyond the backing and dig in when bending/sitting. I have the P365XL grip on order so I haven't had an opportunity to test yet. The possible voids are what I was trying to ascertain by seeing if someone had done this before. The proximity to the retention pin could mean they molded the tail solid, but there is the chance they left a small void.

It is only money... :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
IMO the extended grip tang is one of the more desirable features of the P365s - more ergonomic/comfortable and better leverage to reduce muzzle flip. On the XL it only extends an extra 1/4” so not enough to make much difference in a holster. Much better ergos and muzzle control In a small pistol than say the P938 or the old P239 which had stubby grip tangs.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Why would you? Appendix carry, then either stop drinking beer or get into an exercise program.....lol. How often do you bend enough at the waist that its a problem. Knee bends are recommended for protecting the back.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just got my XL and am evaluating it still (haven't had the time to get it to the range yet though). I've had my P365 for almost 2 yrs now and it is my primary carry. I used the dremel (lightly and carefully) in 2 areas of my P365 frame:
1. increased the undercut of the trigger guard just forward of the mag release
2. undercut the upper back strap forward of the takedown pin
purpose of both being to get my hand up as high as possible and closer to the bore axis. I didn't do too much, maybe 3 /64s to 1/16 inch in both areas - and there was plenty of material to work with (in those areas). Doesn't seem like a lot, but is a very noticeable difference in getting hand up higher on the grip feels rock solid in my hand. Don't know if I'll do the same with the XL - with longer grip/frame it may not be needed - got to shoot it a bit first.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Another thought rather then butchering your XL frame would be to just buy a std 365 frame and the std 12 rnd mag extensions/floor plates for your XL mags.
The std 365 + 12 rnd mags have the same grip length as the XL frame.

You could then sell your unmolested XL frame + floor plates here and likely pretty much break even or just keep them in case you change your mind down the road.
You could also just post here to see if anyone would 'swap' frames/mag extensions/plates with you. I'd be all over a swap like that if your frame had the MS cutouts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gwes351, thanks for the info. That gives me more confidence that the tail is won't contain voids if the molded piece was thick enough for those changes.

FastCars, I should clarify. I already have a P365 (non-MS) and I ordered a P365XL grip (MS; I'll be adding that too). I was thinking the tail may extend beyond the backing of my holster and jab into me when performing certain activities. Ultimately, I will test to see if it is a problem first but posted this question to find out if someone had already done this.

I appreciate all of the great replies so far.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have tried mine , both in a Kusak old fashioned and a Vedder light tuck and do not notice anything. Personally I would leave it alone as it helps position your hand better, but that's me. I just compared a standard grip module to an XL module and there are no voids to worry about

1 - 12 of 12 Posts