SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a p365xl that I bought about 3 months or so ago. I have about 500 rounds through it with 2 of those rounds failing to fire due to light primer strikes. Only modifications I have done to the gun are adding a gray guns frame....if that is even worth noting. I have been running relatively cheap bulk ammo through it.

This may be a real dumb question but with some of the talk about light primer strikes being an issue with p365s is this something to be concerned about?

Again, I might be over thinking things so I apologize if this is a dumb question. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
What ammo exactly are you using? Have you tried a box of Federal or Speer? I have approximately 900 rounds through my P365 (Federal, Speer, CCI, and Sig Sauer) with no malfunctions. My guess is it's most likely the ammo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When you clean do you make sure the firing pin channel is completely dry? No solvent no lube? I dribble some alcohol into it, let it sit for a few minutes and blow it out with canned air. Alcohol evaporates quickly.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Possible firing pin/striker protrusion issue and if so likely caused by the striker spring retaining collar being a smidgen to long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m not sure of the the manufacture date range but Sig was using a one piece striker spring cup for the 365 series for a while which some people thought was inducing light primer strikes by limiting how much the striker could protrude through breech face. There are a few threads discussing it. I believe Sig has gone back to a two piece spring cup which alleviates the issue. If you check your striker assembly and you have the two piece spring cup you could eliminate that as a possible cause. The 365 series is a fantastic versatile platform.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I checked the log book, and I have over 4,000 rounds total through several P365s and XLs - and had 1 lt primer strike (the only "issue" with any of them at all). That was on a new XL on 60th round fired during 1st range session (using prvi partisan 115gr JHP - it fired when reloaded). The XL had been cleaned (including striker channel - bone dry), then lubed. It also has the newer style angled striker tip (not sure if it has the 1, or 2 pc spring cup). This XL now has 985 rounds through it (from 9 different manufacturers in various 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr bullets - FMJ and JHP). The other pistols have similar track records. So, no, I don't lose any sleep over a lt primer strike - and I think with all the pistols owned over the decades, I've seen less than 5 lt primer strikes - ever (I'm certain it is ammo variation)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What ammo exactly are you using? Have you tried a box of Federal or Speer? I have approximately 900 rounds through my P365 (Federal, Speer, CCI, and Sig Sauer) with no malfunctions. My guess is it's most likely the ammo.
Some cheap brand I found online a while back and bought in bulk. I apologize I don't know the name....not one of the major brands though. Hopefully you're right on it being an ammo thing. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you clean do you make sure the firing pin channel is completely dry? No solvent no lube? I dribble some alcohol into it, let it sit for a few minutes and blow it out with canned air. Alcohol evaporates quickly.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
I will go back and try this out. I wouldn't be surprised if some lube or solvent has gotten in there. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m not sure of the the manufacture date range but Sig was using a one piece striker spring cup for the 365 series for a while which some people thought was inducing light primer strikes by limiting how much the striker could protrude through breech face. There are a few threads discussing it. I believe Sig has gone back to a two piece spring cup which alleviates the issue. If you check your striker assembly and you have the two piece spring cup you could eliminate that as a possible cause. The 365 series is a fantastic versatile platform.
Got it, will do, thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked the log book, and I have over 4,000 rounds total through several P365s and XLs - and had 1 lt primer strike (the only "issue" with any of them at all). That was on a new XL on 60th round fired during 1st range session (using prvi partisan 115gr JHP - it fired when reloaded). The XL had been cleaned (including striker channel - bone dry), then lubed. It also has the newer style angled striker tip (not sure if it has the 1, or 2 pc spring cup). This XL now has 985 rounds through it (from 9 different manufacturers in various 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr bullets - FMJ and JHP). The other pistols have similar track records. So, no, I don't lose any sleep over a lt primer strike - and I think with all the pistols owned over the decades, I've seen less than 5 lt primer strikes - ever (I'm certain it is ammo variation)
Got it, that makes me feel better about. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will go back and try this out. I wouldn't be surprised if some lube or solvent has gotten in there. Thanks for the advice
Striker and channel on my P365 were packed with grease out of the box. 5 or so Q-Tips followed by a spritz of brake cleaner fixed that. I cleaned the gun before shooting - but its out of box condition looked like a recipe for light strikes.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Though I don’t believe there is an issue with the XL models, I do want to highlight the fact that on a very recent hickok45 video, he experienced a light primer strike on video while using an XL.

Happens around the 15:50 mark.

I’m not trying to spread concern. I have an XL and have never experienced a light primer strike personally.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Though I don’t believe there is an issue with the XL models, I do want to highlight the fact that on a very recent hickok45 video, he experienced a light primer strike on video while using an XL.

Happens around the 15:50 mark.

I’m not trying to spread concern. I have an XL and have never experienced a light primer strike personally.
I don't see much reason for concern. The gun needs to be degreased before shooting. On the upside - my striker channel didn't rust in shipping.
I just posted a note to Hickok. We'll see what he finds.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My policy on the striker is a quick check during fieldstrip.
Does the striker move smoothly, with no grittiness? If so, all should be well.
If not, pull it and clean the channel. Don't do it routinely otherwise.
I think I can recall one soft primer hit, on a reload, in a whole bunch of rounds.
For the OP, do the primers normally look well struck? Vote with the others here; not usually an issue.
Moon

·
Registered
34 Posts
While that video was posted a couple of days ago judging by the vegetation it was filmed in early spring. I wish he would have posted a note in the description about if he had any further failures or determined what was wrong. In Hickok's case it was definitely a light primer strike.

I have only put a few hundred rounds through my XL but haven't had any light primer strikes. Hope it stays that way, I like the gun.

·
Registered
521 Posts
How do I do this?
field strip it, with RSA and barrel removed from slide. Use a pencil / tiny wood dowel etc to push and hold down the safety plunger, then push/work the striker lug back and forth. Use light pressure to try and sense any grittiness or binding as the striker moves. You can see the tip protrude slightly when fully pushed. Not scientific, but is an easy check.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts