SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the P365x a little over a week ago. Couldn’t resist and ordered on the Holosun 507K-X2 Micro Green dot and 3 15 round magazines. Love the optic!
Product Trigger Font Air gun Gun barrel

Yesterday, I just changed to to a grey grip ans added a manual safety for more piece of mind carrying AIWB. Since the gun was disassembled, I went ahead and cleaned the gun after shooting and removed all the factory gunk. The slide was super dry and frankly didn’t lookwd that good. I used a very small amount of Hoppes self-lubricating gun oil and am very happy with the results. See below:
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Material property Gun accessory

·
Registered
730 Posts
Looks great except for that lever at the back...
There are plenty of us who prefer a manual safety. Last week I was watching a video on YouTube where a gun store sales lady was asked what guns are returned most by first-time gun buyers, and the answer was Glocks. They buy them based on the name recognition without realizing there is no manual safety, then when they discover that they're back at the gun store to trade them in for something that DOES have a safety.

And yes I know that the fault lies with people buying without doing their homework first, but the fact is a lot of people want that manual safety. Not just first-timers, but a lot of us old-timers who grew up using 1911s as well.

·
Registered
406 Posts
There are plenty of us who prefer a manual safety. Last week I was watching a video on YouTube where a gun store sales lady was asked what guns are returned most by first-time gun buyers, and the answer was Glocks. They buy them based on the name recognition without realizing there is no manual safety, then when they discover that they're back at the gun store to trade them in for something that DOES have a safety.

And yes I know that the fault lies with people buying without doing their homework first, but the fact is a lot of people want that manual safety. Not just first-timers, but a lot of us old-timers who grew up using 1911s as well.
Yup I saw that Maggie said that. Very interesting about the Glocks ...and it makes sense that she is seeing a lot of them (brand new I bet) come back to the store.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you, exactly. I have guns with a MS and without. For someone new to AIWB, this gives me peace of mind. With the beauty of this particular gun, I can change back to without a safety anytime within a few minutes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The P365 with and without a manual safety is the same price. I don't understand anyone who would buy it without a manual safety. If I want my P365MS to not have a manual safety, I don't put the safety on. With the safety off it is exactly like a P365 without a safety. I expect someone to respond that the safety can snag on clothing when drawing from the holster, but in my experience this is not really plausible.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The P365 with and without a manual safety is the same price. I don't understand anyone who would buy it without a manual safety. If I want my P365MS to not have a manual safety, I don't put the safety on. With the safety off it is exactly like a P365 without a safety. I expect someone to respond that the safety can snag on clothing when drawing from the holster, but in my experience this is not really plausible.
We buy it without the manual safety because we do not use the safety. We do not train to use the safety and therefore do not expect to have to push it off to fire the pistol. There is no muscle memory developed to use the safety. So, let’s say I have the safety version of the P365 concealed and have to immediately put a round down range to defend myself and/or someone else. I draw the pistol and as always squeeze the trigger and oh-****, the safety is on and there is no bang. Now I have to recognize there is a problem, process the information, formulate a plan and put it into action. But wait, it’s too late, I am dead, the person trying to kill me succeeded while I was having my oh-**** moment. This scenario will never happen because I have the P365 without the safety, the same as my Glock and all other pistols.

·
Premium Member
Poppastar a.k.a. pops
967 Posts
Keeping this thread on topic....

OP, nice job with making it your own. Looks good!

·
Registered
P365XL/P226
243 Posts
Yesterday, I just changed to to a grey grip ans added a manual safety for more piece of mind carrying AIWB.
Glock has the very bad habit of telling their customers what they think they should have/need rather than allowing the customer to make the choice. As such, it's brainwashed a generation of Glock shooters into believing the Glock mantra of 'Perfection'. Glock has made models with manual safeties since day one. Yet some people believe Glock has never made them. Unfortunately, they only make them for contract runs by request such as the Brazillian G22.5's. And Glock is missing the boat on this due to their stubbornness. If they offered a MS model it would sell like hotcakes. If they offered a conversion kit it would sell like hotcakes. I know folks that want a MS version Glock and I know people that will not carry a Glock because they don't offer a MS model. While the company is currently doing fine, it's short-sighted on their part.

Sig on the other hand has impressed me in this area. Before the P365 offered the 3-piece conversion kit I called Sig directly. I asked them if they had plans to offer a conversion kit. They said they currently did not but had received so many calls they were passing it 'up the chain'. Less than 6 months later the 3 parts became available to convert a non-MS to a MS model. And it was so popular they sold out within minutes. I was on several 'Notify Me' lists and every time I was notified the parts sold out in 30 minutes or less. So both the MS model and the conversion kits are in high demand and extremely popular. That's Sig listening to it's customer base and providing what they want. Same with the XL and X models.

So in this area, Glock gets a thumbs down and Sig gets two thumbs up for giving their customers the choice rather than deciding for them.

As for me, I have a P365 and two XL's and they all have a MS. One XL came that way and the other two I converted.

I prefer a MS on whatever platform I can get it on. In my professional opinion a MS offers only advantages with no downside.

·
Registered
382 Posts
And this thread reminds me that I need one more manual safety as I gave my one of mine to Jr. Maybe I'll break out the solder and do another enhanced model while I'm at it and have the time.

·
Registered
730 Posts
We buy it without the manual safety because we do not use the safety. We do not train to use the safety and therefore do not expect to have to push it off to fire the pistol. There is no muscle memory developed to use the safety. So, let’s say I have the safety version of the P365 concealed and have to immediately put a round down range to defend myself and/or someone else. I draw the pistol and as always squeeze the trigger and oh-, the safety is on and there is no bang. Now I have to recognize there is a problem, process the information, formulate a plan and put it into action. But wait, it’s too late, I am dead, the person trying to kill me succeeded while I was having my oh- moment. This scenario will never happen because I have the P365 without the safety, the same as my Glock and all other pistols.
Simple solution: train with a safety. Once using it becomes second nature it's just as fast as having no safety, and you're that much closer to protecting yourself against shooting off something that won't grow back.

·
Registered
P365XL/P226
243 Posts
Simple solution: train with a safety. Once using it becomes second nature it's just as fast as having no safety, and you're that much closer to protecting yourself against shooting off something that won't grow back.
Agreed. That's why I always say that when properly trained with a modicum of practice a MS offers only advantages with no downside. I normally see the same concerns in threads on MS.

• It will slow you down. This stems from improper training. Improper training is drawing the pistol, getting it up and on target and then looking for the MS. Proper training makes it part of the draw. The grip begins in the holster. As the pistol is removed from the holster the thumb is naturally in the location of the MS. The thumb sweeps the safely (normally down but with exceptions) as the pistol clears the holster. This in no way impedes or slows the draw, it's simply part of the draw. Simply put, it adds no element of time to the draw and is simply a part of the draw that one doesn't even have to think about. The weapon is 'hot' well before it's even been brought to bear on the target.
  • You'll bump it on during a fire fight. Well, I suppose that maybe it's happened to someone, somewhere at some time. I've been shooting since 1985 and teaching since 1996 and I've never seen it happen. I consider it a non-issue and simply not something that concerns me.
  • You'll forget to disengage it in the stress of the moment. Sweeping a MS is a gross motor skill that requires one directional movement of the thumb along one single plane. With a modicum of practice you don't even think about it because it's instinctual. It is actually more difficult to depress the trigger because it requires more than one direction of movement along more than one plane. If you are going to forget how to sweep a MS under stress you'll not be able to pull the trigger either. And there is no way you'd be able to clear a malfunction as that is quite a bit more complex in terms of movements. And I often give the example of my duty holster which required me to push a lever down with my thumb and push it backwards then move the thumb to a second lever and push it down and forward to rotate a hood in order to just be able take the pistol out of the holster. Yet, I was able to do that with speed not only in training but several times on duty in critical stress moments. Simple practice time with the holster ensured that under stress I didn't even need to think about the steps...I just did them. So to me, a MS is child's play.
  • It will snag on clothing. Again, it's probably happened to someone, somewhere at sometime. I've never seen a MS snag on anything nor have I ever snagged the MS on any pistol I've ever carried concealed or in a duty holster. I consider it a non-issue and simply not something that concerns me.

Now if someone doesn't want to put the modicum of effort into the proper use of a MS that is fine and their choice. But a lot of ND/AD would have been prevented by the proper use of a MS in regards to re-holstering a pistol. This is why I have or install a MS on any platform that I'm able. I see only positives and no negatives. Personal choice based on my training and experience.

:)

·
Registered
M17+M18+XCarry+Various Parts = Three frankensigs
571 Posts
This week I sold my last firearm that did not have a manual safety. I now have a safety on every pistol and ever rifle I own. All stored and holstered firearms are safety on.

I did this intentionally so that it will just get continuously drilled into my head that I need to flick the safety off to use a firearm. Not only on one particular gun, not only with one type.

It needs to become second nature and I never want to have to think "what gun do I have, is there a safety?" The answer is muscle memory says yes there is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This week I sold my last firearm that did not have a manual safety. I now have a safety on every pistol and ever rifle I own. All stored and holstered firearms are safety on.

I did this intentionally so that it will just get continuously drilled into my head that I need to flick the safety off to use a firearm. Not only on one particular gun, not only with one type.

It needs to become second nature and I never want to have to think "what gun do I have, is there a safety?" The answer is muscle memory says yes there is.
Exactly what I have been training..
As soon as i lay my hang on .. my thurm is already on safety ..
Good to know it's not only me like to have MS .

·
Registered
M17+M18+XCarry+Various Parts = Three frankensigs
571 Posts
Back on topic..

I want to get a p365x with a safety too. The cheapest way is to buy one and then convert. Or buy an XL or orig p365 with a safety and replace the slide.

I think I need to go the slide route since this will become my EDC. I somehow want my EDC to be covered by warranty, including the safety.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back on topic..

I want to get a p365x with a safety too. The cheapest way is to buy one and then convert. Or buy an XL or orig p365 with a safety and replace the slide.

I think I need to go the slide route since this will become my EDC. I somehow want my EDC to be covered by warranty, including the safety.
It would be a quick change to revert back to non-manual safety in the event of a warranty issue.
Keep in mind the P365 is not optic ready. If you want an optic, then you would need a new slide or get it milled. The X isn’t available yet with MS AFAIK. Woth your p365 scenario, you would still be replacing a part (the slide) so I’m not following your logic.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts