SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

P365(XL) for off-duty/EDC

7K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Golem 
#1 ·
First and foremost, I am not a Glock 'enthusiast'. In other words, I generally like the Glock platform but I'm not a brand loyalist. I can praise and be critical all at the same time. Having said that, I carried a Glock off-duty for about 2/3 of my career and carried a Glock on-duty for about 2/3 as well. Glock 21 on-duty and either a G23, G19 or G26 off-duty.

A couple of years before I retired I traded a G26 for my first P365. Two of the Deputies on my shift had gotten one so I had the opportunity to get some experience prior to getting my own. So I picked up that P365 and qualified with it. I carried it till retirement and then for a little over a year afterwards until I bought my first P365XL which is now my EDC. As far as the P365, I couldn't be more impressed with the platform. I shot it in an Outlaw match and won one of the stages with it. Very satisfied with it's performance and what I was able to do with it from a yard and a half out to around 40 yards. I eventually added a TLR-6 because I like a WML on some of my pistols, including the one I carry.

Picked up a second one about 6 months before the present panic for $350 new/unfired locally. Gave that one to my son who also shot with it in the same Outlaw match. He switches between it and a Glock 19.5FS I also gave him.

A few months ago a retired Officer from a local PD was selling his P365XL so I met with him and bought it. This is the one I'm now carrying EDC. I also added a TLR-6 to it and use the P365 as a secondary. I have a holster that accommodates the XL with the WML and it's 'okay'. I had a Crossbreed for it but the pistol rocked back and forth in the holster so I returned it. I did like how it rode on my belt OWB though, just didn't secure the pistol like it should. So I'm still on the lookout for an OWB holster that accommodates the TLR-6.

Couple of weeks ago I picked up a second XL with Romeo Zero for my wife to use as a night stand pistol. So I have to give a couple of thumbs up for the P365 line-up. I have installed a MS on each as that is my preference. I've found I really like the Xray sights quite a bit. Just can't beat the options, capacity, sights and overall performance. I have seen two accounts of a P365 going 100k rounds which provides a lot of confidence in it's long term durability.

See less See more
#8 ·
If it's of interest, here is where I talk about the 100k rounds on a range rental 357sig.

Sig Sauer P365 Gun Review | 100,000 Round Torture Test

The P365 had some early teething issues to be sure. And I wasn't exactly in agreement with how it was handled by Sig. That being said, it's now ancient history and although any and all brands will produce an occasional lemon, the P365 is now demonstrating itself to be a solid pistol. And as I mention in the link, this is the second range rental pistol that I'm aware of that has gone to incredibly high round counts. And to me, while interesting and fun to see a pistol tossed in the mud and sand, the better test of reliability is a LOT of rounds being put on the pistol in a SHORT span of time by MULTIPLE shooters.

#9 ·
Nice review. Agree on the merits of the P365 platform. Hard to beat all the pluses offered.

My summer IWB is an SAS w/ Lima. My winter is the XL w/ Romeo OWB. Carried a Titanium .38 for a long time - but these P365's are too good to pass over.

#11 ·
I really like the trigger on the P365. Although I prefer a hammer-fired pistol, I have an appreciation for the striker-fired pistol. I find the P365 to be a smooth, clean breaking trigger with a nice reset. I particularly like the flat faced trigger on the XL. What really convinced me was taking it to an Outlaw match and shooting it at difference distances, angles and running and gunning it a bit. Took the pistol to a whole new level in my eyes.

Reactions: Alloy07
#13 ·
Hi Dave,
As you know from the other forum, I like hammer fired guns too. But I've found I have enough love for all guns that go bang. My P365XL has been a great gun from the get go. Love the trigger and balance. Didn't find that love for the P365. For me it was to small. I replaced it with a Shield Plus that fits me perfectly. I have found a gun that rivals the XL's trigger.

Good to see you on board.

#14 ·
Thank you sir, nice to be here. I figured it was time to branch out to some of the larger gun forums (I belong to a number of smaller and members-only forums in addition to GT).

I haven't tried the Shield Plus yet but I have no doubt it's a solid pistol. I've had a couple of the 1.0 Shields and they were simply good pistols. And to be honest, as I've said elsewhere, I'm really happy to see other manufacturers (S&W, Ruger, Springfield and Taurus) jump into the micro end of the pool. I doubt Glock will ever have a comparable contender due to the design of their magazine (I don't consider the G43 or 43X to be actual contenders in the micro market).

And yes, that XL trigger is really nice. I like the P365 quite well and really enjoyed it as my off-duty/EDC but I'm equally happy now that I'm using the XL in the EDC roll. Just need to find a TLR-6 holster that I really like. I wanted it to be Crossbreed but it just wasn't going to happen unfortunately. I liked the leather back/kydex shell concept though. If I could find an all leather holster for the XL that accommodates the TLR-6 I'd jump on it. But haven't found that animal yet.

#19 ·
Thank you sir, nice to be here. I figured it was time to branch out to some of the larger gun forums (I belong to a number of smaller and members-only forums in addition to GT).

I haven't tried the Shield Plus yet but I have no doubt it's a solid pistol. I've had a couple of the 1.0 Shields and they were simply good pistols. And to be honest, as I've said elsewhere, I'm really happy to see other manufacturers (S&W, Ruger, Springfield and Taurus) jump into the micro end of the pool. I doubt Glock will ever have a comparable contender due to the design of their magazine (I don't consider the G43 or 43X to be actual contenders in the micro market).

And yes, that XL trigger is really nice. I like the P365 quite well and really enjoyed it as my off-duty/EDC but I'm equally happy now that I'm using the XL in the EDC roll. Just need to find a TLR-6 holster that I really like. I wanted it to be Crossbreed but it just wasn't going to happen unfortunately. I liked the leather back/kydex shell concept though. If I could find an all leather holster for the XL that accommodates the TLR-6 I'd jump on it. But haven't found that animal yet.
Try Relentless Tactical for holsters. You can use my discount code ARGEES10

#16 ·
My service pistol was the Glock 21 when I retired. The agency had used that pistol for nearly two decades (Gen 3). Very good platform and we have training pistols with 300k rounds and counting on them. Having said that, the M&P would likely be the next in line if/when they ever change. It was a favorite amount the trainers. It's an excellent pistol. I'm chatting with a guy on another forum who competes with an M&P in 40S&W with a documented 250k rounds on the pistol. While it's impressive to see many 9mm's making shooting that number, to me it's more impressive to see a 40S&W pistol reaching that number. He's replaced the barrel once, at 190k. And I think IIRC he's also replaced the firing pin once around that number.

Hard to argue with that kind of service. I think part of the 'secret sauce' is having a pistol designed for or around the 40S&W. The HK USP was designed around that caliber from the ground up and by default so was the P2000. It is my understanding that the M&P line was designed around the 40S&W as well which would explain it's durability. The P226, according to the Sig rep I spoke with wasn't 'technically' designed around the 40S&W (IIRC the P226 was out several years before the caliber was introduced) but was built beefy enough from the get-go anyway. As much as I like Glock, they can't make the same claim really. The Gen 1-4's were basically refitted 9mm frames. We'll see how the Gen 5 does. And that's not to say the Glocks in 40S&W are weaker exactly but I know of direct data of at least two agencies that had catastrophic issues with Glocks in 40S&W to the extent that they got rid of them in favor of either Glocks in 9mm or in 45acp. Pro tip: I would NOT use a WML on a Glock chambered in 40S&W.

Sorry for the drift but just tossing a bunch out there that came to mind.

#17 ·
Well triple D (Dave Deputy Dog)...lol. As you've noticed I'm a 40 guy, but I do have the 365X and 365XL. It was my intent to use the 365XL for EDC and I carry it every now and then. Especially when I don't want to throw a shirt on over my t-shirt. I just put the t-shirt over the weapon. Never had a problem. However, I feel naked without my 40 so my EDC is the P320 carry with WC grip. Yea its larger, but as you and I know, weight after wearing a gun belt for years really isn't a factor. Its like hanging out with an old comfortable friend.

#25 ·
For anyone interested in a WML on their P365/XL/X. I like a WML on a pistol and have a TLR-6 on both my P365 and XL. It's 100 lumens which in today's world of ultra lumen LED flashlights doesn't sound like a lot but then I always compare it with the old 5D cell Maglite with incandescent bulb was only 39-59 lumens.

Some beam shots I took out at the property of the home I'm building with the P365XL w/TLR-6. It's pics from a cell phone so it was actually brighter/clearer in real life.

I was standing to the right of a 25 foot wide space between houses. The black tarp in the distance is about 100 feet away, perhaps just a tad more. The end of the house is about 77 feet distance from where I was standing. This was about 9:15 tonight and it was very dark without the WML activated. Dark enough that you would not have seen someone towards the back of the house.

This is standing just in front of where my front doors are going to be. The back of the lanai is about 75+ feet away. Again, the black tarp beyond is a tad over 100 feet away. I would have easily seen someone clearly standing on the lanai. So that would be a 25 yard shot to the lanai and perhaps a 35 yard shot to the end of the backyard give or take a foot or so. In person it is clearer as this was taken on a cell phone. I would have easily been able to identify a man sized target in the backyard.

One of the hallways in the house. Distance to the back wall is about 33 feet give or take a foot.

For only being 100 lumens, I feel the TLR-6 is more than sufficient for most likely scenarios. I feel I'd have no issue identifying a target out to 35 yards. With the XL I know I would have no issue hitting a target at this distance. I've done so in matches with the shorter barreled P365 in dim light conditions. So while a brighter light would be nice and could have it's uses, I think the TLR-6 is a good light for it's size, run time and lumen output. Although I'm sure it could happen, it's hard to imagine a SD scenario where one would need to take a shot at a distance longer than this light is capable of reaching. It's also worth noting that I could easily and clearly see the night sights with the TLR-6 activated.

#34 ·
For only being 100 lumens, I feel the TLR-6 is more than sufficient for most likely scenarios.
Please note that is a HUGE difference between Chinese Lumens and American Lumens. I have a Chinese bicycle light that is rated at 1,200 lumens. Some bicycle geeks measured the actual output as being closer to about 350 lumens. I have an American made bike light that actually puts out it's rated 1,200 lumens, and there is literally a night and day difference in their light output.

The moral of this story is that you can't always trust the published ratings and should rely more on testing like what Deputydave has done for us.

Thanks for the testing Dave!

#33 ·
I'm participating in a conversation on another forum on the new XL Spectre. While that particular variant doesn't appeal to me personally (I'm not one for slide cuts unless they have a specific functional purpose. And I don't know if it's ported but I never recommend porting on a SD pistol) it was interesting to see some of the comments. Some felt the need to poo-poo the P365 variants as a whole that have come out. I offered the following points that I wanted to share in this thread as well.

"I have a different take on it. The XL serves a couple of purposes; first, it offers a bit larger grip for those that need/want a bit more to hang on to while also providing a bit longer sight radius. So it may appeal to those in the market for somewhat of a smaller pistol that passed on the P365 because they felt it was too small. So it captures a little more market share. Secondly, it competes well against pistols like the 43X and G48. Those two pistols are fine and they have their fan base but from a pound-for-pound comparison it offers 12 and 15 round options instead of 10 (while still being able to use 10-round mags with a base plate conversion for those that may be limited to 10-rounds) as well as standard Xray nights sights as opposed to plastic. It also offers the end-user option of a MS or not. Again, the 43X and G48 are solid pistols but they don't compete with the XL on options. So Sig went after that market share as well. Which is smart on their part.

While some may poke fun at another P365 variant, Sig is doing quite well with them and they have definitely captured market share as a result. When one thinks of a micro-9 the Sig is the one they are comparing it to, not Glock, Ruger, S&W or Taurus. Sig has listened to their customer base (which is evident with the addition of the MS models and the X and XL variants). And it's nice to see a company listen to the wants of the customer base. Not all companies do that in a timely fashion, or at all unfortunately.

My two cents" :)

#36 ·
I mostly use 18650 size Li-Ion cells. I've taken apart Chinese 18650 cells that were marked "protected cell" but did NOT have any protection circuits inside at all!

About the maximum capacity you can stuff into an 18650 size cell is about 4,000 mAH, and those will be expensive. I've seen some Chinese 18650 cells that were rated for 14,000 mAH that didn't even have 2,000 mAH of capacity. In some cases the Chinese have put a tiny Li-Ion inside the larger 18650 size case and FILLED THE CASE WITH SAND! It's buyer beware, and not only buy a good name brand, but also be careful where you buy it from because the Chinese are notorious for making counterfeits! I've even seen counterfeits of other CHINESE brands!

#37 ·
I started with the 365, then I took the 365 and put it in an XL frame, then I put an RMRcc on it, now I have a 365xl and about to mount a Holosun on it.

Two things that surprised me about the 365XL, the flat trigger I always thought was just another Sig accessory, but it does work, I'm still surprised.

The other thing that really surprised me was the additional slide length makes a good pistol (the 365) an even better pistol. I can tell a difference in slide recoil and marksmanship due to it, all for the better. Still surprised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.