SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Thinking about buying a P365 because I'm realizing I just don't like shooting my G43. Too "snappy", even with Taran Tactical Tungsten spring guide rod. Better but still not fun.
Bought my first SIG pistol a whole back and LOVE it (Legion x5 P320 9mm).
So I am a bit concerned about the no safety on a concealed carry. I know there are several variants and options among the variants.
I heard that there is an integrated trigger safety on the SAS?
Something that is automatic like a grip safety or trigger safety to me is preferred over a lever or push switch.
Can anyone give a quick breakdown for me? I wasn't able to glean much from the official SIG site, other than there are lots of fans of this P365.
Ported barrel option pros and cons?
Leaning toward the snagless SAS version.

Thanks
TD

·
Registered
886 Posts
The SAS has exactly the same internal safeties as a regular P365. A manual safety is available, to be installed, on the SAS. Regular 365s come with or without a manual safety, and one can be installed here as well.
Installing the manual safety isn't rocket surgery, and is well within the capability of the average gun tinkerer.
The guns have the usual striker safeties, including a striker block and a failsafe on the sear. It is about impossible for a correctly functioning 365 to fire without pulling the trigger. My 365s have manual safeties, but they are carried safety off in a holster that covers the trigger.
The SAS comes out of a pocket really slick, but the sights require some familiarization, and don't work well in mediocre light.
My suggestion; get whichever conventional 365 you can find, add a safety later. You can also get an SAS slide which will go right on. The reverse isn't true, due to the porting holes in the SAS barrel.
So, summary:
-once an SAS, always an SAS
-a standard 365 can use an SAS slide
-a manual safety can come from the factory, or be added later to either model.
Moon
ETA-they are softer shooting than a G43.
M

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have two P365's.
My 1st was purchased before they came out with the Manual Safety (MS).
I loved it, but since I'm an old 1911 shooter, I prefer my pistols with a MS.

about a year later, I found a great deal on a new one with a MS and jumped on it!
I Kept the other as a back-up gun, because it didn't have the MS. Then a few months ago, Sig came out with the MS drop in kit that readily works in any of the P365 Fire Control Groups! I bought the kit (Safety switch, detent, detent spring and grip with the safety cut) and installed the safety in about 5 minutes.

I've done a few other things, like polishing the internals, added MCARBO springs (not really necessary), changed both curved triggers to Sig flat triggers and most recently, sent one slide/barrel off to Magnaport to be ported (I just got it back about an hour ago) here's the link to that string and a few pics https://sigtalk.com/p365/396256-p365xl-ported-slide-ported-barrel-2.html

I've had nearly every glock model, but just don't really like them. I love this gun!

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Better to be darn sure you don't buy the SAS model with the mepro bullseye flush sight unless you really want it . Many a sas own learned to dislike that sight . Don't expect the P365 to be a softer or less snappy a shooter as it maybe not be enough to matter .

The p365xl has a longer heavier slide and longer recoil springs and is a milder shooter so try before buying .

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello!

Thinking about buying a P365 because I'm realizing I just don't like shooting my G43. Too "snappy", even with Taran Tactical Tungsten spring guide rod. Better but still not fun.
Bought my first SIG pistol a whole back and LOVE it (Legion x5 P320 9mm).
So I am a bit concerned about the no safety on a concealed carry. I know there are several variants and options among the variants.
I heard that there is an integrated trigger safety on the SAS?
Something that is automatic like a grip safety or trigger safety to me is preferred over a lever or push switch.
Can anyone give a quick breakdown for me? I wasn't able to glean much from the official SIG site, other than there are lots of fans of this P365.
Ported barrel option pros and cons?
Leaning toward the snagless SAS version.

Thanks
TD
You may want to look at the P365XL Slightly longer and taller.

Comparison Here

·
Registered
683 Posts
The modularity of the P365/365XL allows the owner to swap slides and grip frames in seconds; and as others have mentioned the MS can be added easily, trigger exchanged for flat or curved.

I personally like the short slide with the longer XL grip. A longer XL grip frame (~$40 from Osage) can be swapped onto a regular P365.

And if you should ever want to run a Red Dot, plenty of good shops can mill the short slide. Or....just get the optic-ready P365XL and you're good to go.

I love this little pistol!

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
The SAS has exactly the same internal safeties as a regular P365. A manual safety is available, to be installed, on the SAS. Regular 365s come with or without a manual safety, and one can be installed here as well.
Installing the manual safety isn't rocket surgery, and is well within the capability of the average gun tinkerer.
The guns have the usual striker safeties, including a striker block and a failsafe on the sear. It is about impossible for a correctly functioning 365 to fire without pulling the trigger. My 365s have manual safeties, but they are carried safety off in a holster that covers the trigger.
The SAS comes out of a pocket really slick, but the sights require some familiarization, and don't work well in mediocre light.
My suggestion; get whichever conventional 365 you can find, add a safety later. You can also get an SAS slide which will go right on. The reverse isn't true, due to the porting holes in the SAS barrel.
So, summary:
-once an SAS, always an SAS
-a standard 365 can use an SAS slide
-a manual safety can come from the factory, or be added later to either model.
Moon
ETA-they are softer shooting than a G43.
M

Can always change the barrel.
I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you.

Looks like I’ll just go buy one.

How much difference does the ported barrel make in shooting comfort?

TD

·
Registered
986 Posts
Like the others have said, get a standard 365 and add a MS or find one with. I have two. a 365 (I added the MS), and a 365XL w/MS. I did get an SAS slide cheap with the SAS sighting system to change back and forth with the 365 standard (I also swapped the grip to an XL). What I found with the SAS slide and sight is that it actually is a point and shoot weapon. Comes up to natural eye level very quick. I usually sight over the slide anyway as I have found in a real life scenario that sight picture is great on the range but when the rubber meets the road point shooting is what occurs. Further on the SAS slide sighting is that I found the green dot is always right on target from a point shooting stance. As far as the night sight ability, yes its not X-Ray level nor SigLite level, but sufficient. Remember this type of weapon wasn't intended to be a target weapon. It functions for its intended purpose 10 feet or less. If you can put a round into paper in the preferred area in 10 feet, then paper to person is sufficient. Repeat after me, "I was shooting to defend myself and stop the deadly assault, not to take a life" Keep repeating that until it becomes second nature. People forget the civil liabilities that come from using deadly force, even if justified. Just look at recent situations involving LEOs. The media frenzy starts the political frenzy and narrative. Once that occurs, well we know what follows.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The p365xl has a longer heavier slide and longer recoil springs and is a milder shooter so try before buying .
Have you tried both side by side?

My brother has an XL and we went to the range together.
I shot both, one right after the other and couldn't really tell any real difference in perceivable recoil or weight...

I had a S&W Shield 9mm that the P365 replaced. To me, it had a snappier recoil impulse than the P365.

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did not notice a difference honestly
Did you shoot ported and non-ported side by side?

I just had one of my P365's Magnaported last week and hope to get to the range over the weekend to shoot them side by side and see if I perceive any difference in muzzle flip...

I know that all of my other ported firearms have a reduction of about 30%.

Ports won't reduce recoil, but should help keep the muzzle from rising as much were it un-ported.

Blessings,
DocS

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Did you shoot ported and non-ported side by side?

I just had one of my P365's Magnaported last week and hope to get to the range over the weekend to shoot them side by side and see if I perceive any difference in muzzle flip...

I know that all of my other ported firearms have a reduction of about 30%.

Ports won't reduce recoil, but should help keep the muzzle from rising as much were it un-ported.

Blessings,

DocS

Not back to back. I never owned a ported firearm until this one.
Again I did not feel much.

I can rapid fire 4-6 shots and keep them group really well.

Again being a newbie and maybe a smaller gun does not help much? Best I can tell you. Will be shooting it more Sunday in a SD class. So will get a better feel than the 100 I out through already

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the great info.

So sounds like the 365 regular is for me. XL would be harder to conceal for me living in FL weather is warm and clothes are not bulky and I often wear scrubs - more on this later.

Waiting to hear about porting vs non porting side by side comparisons for any who have tried. Less barrel snap/flip is what I'm wanting.

Its kind of hard to follow here, but seems like the SAS comes ported but can order a separate SAS-style upper/barrel that is NOT ported to use that on the 365 (non-SAS) if you wanted to use the SAS version on your existing 365?

Is there a ported option for the regular 365 then? It sounds like I'd probably prefer the non-SAS version, and the ability to convert to that SAS style slide if I ever wanted to.

TD

Oh yeah, about concealment. Never had much luck getting my G43 to conceal under scrubs on an ankle holster. The "bugbyte" neoprene holster doesn't stay up and hard to get it over the scrubs. Have to use the flat ended magazine too (on G43) How is the SIG ankle holster for the 365? I'm not a HUGE fan of Ankle carry but options are slim wearing scrubs. Belly band is uncomfortable but works. Urban Carry 3 is OK. Printing with pistol in the holster, but not when holster is unloaded. Can't use a waistband carry with scrubs.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
365 SAS slides comes ported or non-ported
365 slide only comes non ported.
All interchangeable.

I have a non-ported in my ported SAS slide and I really can’t tell much of a difference with muzzle flip, etc. Just less flash

·
Registered
116 Posts
Waiting to hear about porting vs non porting side by side comparisons for any who have tried. Less barrel snap/flip is what I'm wanting.

Can't use a waistband carry with scrubs.
Hopefully I can get both my newly ported P365 and my non-ported P365 out to the range this weekend to do some side-by-side comparisons and report back.

I use a small remora holster with a clip. It works remarkably well with Basketball shorts (with a tie string). Similar to scrubs...

Blessings,
DocS

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've owned both SAS and regular 365s, there isn't a huge difference in muzzle flip. The blast itself (thru' the vents) isn't distracting.
The G43 has a snappier recoil than the 365; I've owned both.
Moon

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thank you.

Looks like I’ll just go buy one.

How much difference does the ported barrel make in shooting comfort?

TD
Can't speak for a ported barrel as I've never owned one...but I own two P365's..a standard and an XL. I shoot them both well and find the recoil to be acceptable in both. Prior to getting my Sigs I carried a LCR357 shooting 38 Spcl +P rounds and never felt that it was to much recoil. I guess we all perceive recoil differently..I embrace it as I lets me know I have something significant in my hand.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts