SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

P365 Slide Blemishes Normal?

10K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  originalBB 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago I purchased my first Sig Sauer and came across what I think is a problem when I cleaned off the factory oils. The manufacture date is 12/22/18. When I cleaned the slide I noticed what appear to be tooling marks on the left side of the slide, primarily on the beveled edge. There were no marks anywhere else on the slide. I contacted Sig Customer Service and shipped the slide back to them. I received a replacement slide a few days ago and it too has tooling marks, although not quite as bad as on the original. I contacted Customer Service again, provided photos of the marks, and when they got back with me said they checked other slides in their Custom Shop and they all have marks on them, so are saying this falls within Factory Specifications. I can pay them $99.95 to have the slide refinished to remove the marks. This surprises me, all other areas of the slide are perfectly smooth, only the left side has issues. My brother bought a P365 three weeks before I did and his does not have this problem.
Is this typical quality control for Sig? Has anyone else noticed this?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is totally unacceptable and discouraging to hear from Sig. I was a machinist for 25 years and that is the result of a poor setup - CNC or conventional. My guess CNC being they have more with the same rough cuts being exposed in stock. Looks like QC was out already for Christmas vacation at the time of machining. Standard practice is to have first piece inspection before running an operation and interval inspections during the run. Those slides should have never made it to the step in the process of assembling a fire arm. Personally I would go to higher management in CS. You should not have to pay more for what you already paid for. Heck, Hi-Point turns out better than that.

#5 ·
OMG, totally unacceptable! Is this where Sig has gone? As bad as one member getting his gun with the P365 logo upside down!
Cheap MIM strikers is another problem, bad sights, etc.
My Sig 365 slide is perfect and I would not except that slide or BS from Sig about others have it in their Custom shop.
Where has the quality control gone and who is letting these pistols get out the door.

#11 ·
When I made the purchase the store brought the gun out from the back, still in box, and inside plastic bag in the case. I took it out to look it over, but I did not ask for a rag or paper towel to wipe the factory oils off as I looked it over. The marks are not visible with the oils covering it. It's the same when I got the replacement slide, you don't see the marks until it is wiped clean.

#12 · (Edited)
When parts are machined they will look like that at first. The problem is somebody at SIG failed to take the extra step of polishing out the machining marks, and this slide went all the way through finishing, assembly and final inspection without anyone noticing it or speaking up. I know SIG is selling these things as fast as they can make them, but it's still no excuse on anything that isn't part of a large military contract. On a commercial weapon we expect a cleanly-finished firearm without visible machining marks.

BTW when I bought mine the dealer did the same thing... he took a fresh one out of the back. I took a quick look at it and noticed a small spot where the finish was missing on the slide. It was only about the size of a pin head but I still told the dealer I was taking the display gun instead.

#13 · (Edited)
I think that you should email Sig and link this thread.

Then as many as possible owners add a picture along with build date of their P365 Slide(s)
It appears that Sig Sauer has forgotten exactly what the Quality of their P365's have been since day one.
I have magazines with closeup pictures in their reviews..none are scratched up!

Here is my P365 Slide that was Born on March 19th 2018
As you can see the Slide is smooth as a Babby's you know what everywhere.
Literally no marks at all and almost a year later is still perfect....
Your slide is obviously not equal to the quality of P365 Slide's that were being manufactured almost a year ago..

Sig Sauer can also see hundreds of P365 pictures at SigTalk and in all of SigTalks P65 threads and Posts I have never seen a P365 Slide scored up like yours is.
It had better not be the NEW Quality of P365's that Sig Sauer is producing.

Technology Electronic device Gadget

Automotive exterior Bumper

I urge everyone to carefully inspect your P365 before accepting it.
The more lesser quality P365's that get sent back to Sig should hopefully be a big wake up call that WE will not Accept lesser grade P365's
If you need to take a rag with you..remove the P365 from the plastic and wipe down the slide!
All gun purchases should be carefully inspected anyway.

Good luck getting your Slide replaced.
I'm surprised that Sig didn't just replace it straight away..what is the cost of a slide to them compared to a Happy Customer!
It just does not make sense...talk to a Manager..all Customer Service Departments have one..
Try and get your case elevated!

I sincerely hope that yours just slipped by somehow and is not the norm...
It does seriously bother me that the replacement was scored as well.

#15 · (Edited)
The Sig Sauer P365 in Print:

Guns Magazine October 2018
Pictures:

*On the Cover
*Pages: 41, Spread on Pages 42 & 43, 44, 45, 47
All pictures are in great detail and show a perfect Slide closeup!

Guns & Ammo: December 2018

Page 58 declares the P365 "Handgun of the Year!"
The P365 takes up a lot of the page again a perfect slide is seen.

Concealed Carry Handguns: June 2018

Page: 126

The above is just what I found in my quick search of my Gun Magazines..
I guarantee there are a lot more out there and none show a scratched Slide or any imperfection at all.
Then there are all of the YouTube Videos that show closeup reviews of the P365..
I guarantee that if they had yours to review a scored Slide would be forefront and forgive the pun..not Slide!

It's just everywhere at this point which makes it impossible for Sig to pull off the Ruse that they are trying with you..

So if Sig does not believe that what you have is inferior and thinks that it is the norm...just consult ours and their P365's in print.
Unless they want to say that they gave better condition Sigs to them and poorer quality P365's to the public!
I don't think so...

There are over 300,000 P365's out in the public and they are not scratched up!
We have your back!

#18 ·
I received a replacement slide a few days ago and it too has tooling marks, although not quite as bad as on the original. I contacted Customer Service again, provided photos of the marks, and when they got back with me said they checked other slides in their Custom Shop and they all have marks on them, so are saying this falls within Factory Specifications.
My P365 was built in November and has absolutely no tooling marks anywhere. Sounds to me like either SIG is starting to rush things or their cutters are getting dull and they just don't care.

#20 · (Edited)
this falls within Factory Specifications
I love how they would say that...of course it's within "Factory Specifications" and the Slide will function properly.
It's a steel Slide..Obviously the markings on the Slide will in no way make the slide not function..
That's not in question!

What is in Question is...

*Does Sig Sauer consider that Slide to be up to the "Standard" Quality of a Finished P365?

*Would Sig like perspective owners and other manufacturers to see that poor level of manufacturing?

*Would Phil Strader want to be holding that P365 Slide as a indication of Sig Sauers end product?

*Would Sig want pictures of that slide & the tooling marks on it in pictures of print?

*Would Sig Sauer want that slide to indicate their end quality and to be placed side by side against any other manufacturer's Firearms finished & Presented for sale?

* If ALL P365 Slides looked like that would it help move sales?

The answer to all of the above is a simple "NO"
Sig Sauer should not blow off any part of a manufacturing process that would leave the end product looking like that by simply saying..It's within "Factory Specifications"

The fact that Sig Sauer is not jumping through hoops to get you a Slide equal to the Quality of 300,000 P365's before it... makes me feel embarrassed for Sig Sauer!
I do not understand in any way why Sig would want to make a stand and choose a marred up Slide over a Owner" of their Firearm!
Telling a customer that "Hey it is what it is" if you don't like it then give us $99.00 and we will make the slide to the Quality of all other P365's.
This whole thing blows me away.

If I was Sig I'd just say, let me confirm your address and we will ship out a completely new Slide... Striker and all and be done with it!
Or at least say..When you get your new slide put your old Slide in the Box and send it back to us, we'll email you a return FedEx label.
That's it..you don't have to send in your slide and wait for a return slide!
You can at least still shoot and enjoy your new P365 while they send you a new Slide, hey it's Within "Factory Specifications..it's the finished product that is bad.

#22 ·
Originally Posted by Sewen
I received a replacement slide a few days ago and it too has tooling marks, although not quite as bad as on the original. I contacted Customer Service again, provided photos of the marks, and when they got back with me said they checked other slides in their Custom Shop and they all have marks on them, so are saying this falls within Factory Specifications.
Unacceptable...PERIOD!
I would call them back and ask nicely to speak to the QUALITY engineering manager!
Mine made in October is smooth as glass... the whole gun is just perfect. My brother just bought one last month, his is perfect as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.